All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Rename Steam Titles?

Black Mage

Heyhoo ^_^

Yes there is, but you'll have to do it manually. If you are confident then here's what you need to do:

Go to ...\GameEx\DATA

Find the files:

EMU_1002.dbcacheini

gameex_[PC] Valve Steam.map

Make a backup of them both/copy them to somewhere safe.

Load the original gameex_[PC] Valve Steam.map file in Notepad. Find the game you are looking for and change it - in your case it should read Strider /©. Change it to what you feel it should be then click File> Save OR press CTRL+S on your keyboard.

Now go back to the original file EMU_1002.dbcacheini and delete it. Yes, do it. If you saved both files before you have nothing to worry about! Trust me :) In fact even if you didn't everything will be fine :)

Now boot GameEx. It may take a bit longer to boot than usual but hold out, it's fine. Once it is responsive again, go to the steam list - you should now have the title you desired ;)

Sigh....it didn't work. It looks like GameEx rebuilds the game list with the old undesired names.

Attempt #1: I renamed all the file names in the file gameex_[PC] Valve Steam.map, saved the file and deleted the file EMU_1002.dbcacheini. When I opened GameEx and saw the list it was not updated. Then I opened the file gameex_[PC] Valve Steam.map and all of the old names that I revised were back. Also, the file EMU_1002.dbcacheini was replaced.

Attempt #2: I renamed all the file names in the file gameex_[PC] Valve Steam.map, saved the file and replaced the names in the file EMU_1002.dbcacheini (and saved of course). Same results as before...When I opened GameEx and saw the list it was not updated. Then I opened the file gameex_[PC] Valve Steam.map and all of the old names that I revised were back. Also, the file EMU_1002.dbcacheini was replaced.

It's great that I now know where the file locations are, but they keep getting replaced. Grrrr! Any ideas?

TBH, this should be a feature request. Maybe Tom can add a MAP file path? That would clear up the games I remove from the list (like '75% Off Final Fantasy VII' and what not).

• Like 1

I think so. We all probably have Steam game names that we want to tweak slightly. How can I request that to Tom?

To think outloud...I think GameEx grabs something from Steam (I wish I knew what) and uses it to repopulate/update the two Steam files.

Apologies for the misinformation there Black Mage - i swear that's what i did a while back but admit it was probably a couple of years ago. Both GameEx and Steam have changed quite a bit since then though. I'll get my facts straighter next time :P

The best place to put in a request is in the Feature & Requests Forum - it gets viewed quite often by staff and you'll be surprised at how many current features of GameEx originated in that thread, so it's well worth expressing your thoughts :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well if that's the case then Origin and UPlay work the same way. I wonder though, does that file get rebuilt ever? If so when?

I can probably get around the Xpadder thing in a future update if I use the App ID instead. But I probably won't get to that for a while though because I'll have to think of a way to not break existing profiles first. I use file names mostly, but in the case of the integrated services like Steam it works a bit differently because of the use of the ini.

Using App ID's would make things future proof as they never change, but like you say - how to work them into your existing code? Your Xpadder plugin after all is literally one of the best things to ever happen to GameEx.

Dare i say to make a new DB using App ID's (or use the GX one) and create some links? I'm not a DB guru so call me crazy out loud - i won't mind :lol:

Since Steam has so many games with more churning out frequently, maybe it would probably be better to have some way to scan a user's collection for the AppIDs and save the list to an xml file with the program name. There is probably a list somewhere that could provide the AppID and program name.

There would also be a need for a corresponding filter that would be user modified to filter out applications that are not games (such as media files, servers, or other applications purchased via Steam).

EDIT: I have included a link to the Steam Database which has all AppIDs and Names.

Also, here as a list in .csv format that I extracted (copy & pasted into Excel). The list is comprehensive and contains non-games as well, but appears to not include media.

Steam_AppID_List.zip

Hopefully this will be of help to someone.

A nice feature request to expand the integrated Steam support to allow for similar filtering to integrated MAME (filter applications, demos, etc., Use DB names...) which I have just added.

• Like 2