All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

anyway to shell gameex in windows 8 yet/ Best way to start system?

aldub516

so i can only find one old thread concerning shelling and windows 8/8.1, which never had a resolution. Im at the end of my build, and wanted to know what are the best options for creating a clean arcade interface, with minimal windows presence. I know i can set it as a start up program, but im having some problems with that with other startup programs throwing everything out of focus. I have msi fastboot which fast starts the pc, but it has a little window that pops up onstart up when enabled. I just cant seem to get windows to boot and start gameex without problem. Ive set gameex to run maximized, and all of those first step tricks. What are the best options for doing this? what setups do you have. Ideally this machine is only going to run gameex, with mame and a few consoles (nes,snes etc) Id like it to literally turn on, go straight to games, play games, and turn off. clean and easy. I dont want to try instant sheller and kill my whole machine

Did you try the GameExLaunch app in the downloads section? You can set a timer and have it launch GameEx for you on startup, getting around the need for any tricks and making it possible to exit the launcher if you need Windows for something.

I have seen that before.. But it's not the most attractive app and somewhat kills the experience. Ideally once the system is up and running, it will never have to give me windows access, so shelling would be ideal. I guess I'll play with a variety of options, but I really wish I could boot straight into gameex

I use Windows 7 and have it setup for minimal windows experience this way:

- Windows auto logins to admin account

- Windows background is my GameEx theme background image

- Windows startup background changed to the GameEx theme background image

- Windows Taskbar is hidden/minimized

- Trash icon is moved to the lower right corner, just a few pixel visibel if you know it (turn off icon snapping)

- GameEx is in autostart and starts maximized

- GameEx exit shuts down windows, you can set this in GameEx settings

The only thing visible from Windows is the "Windows is starting" and "Windows is shutting down" text, but it's not that hard since the background on startup/shutdown is not the original blue one from Windows 7.

• Like 2

I use Windows 7 and have it setup for minimal windows experience this way:

- Windows auto logins to admin account

- Windows background is my GameEx theme background image

- Windows startup background changed to the GameEx theme background image

- Windows Taskbar is hidden/minimized

- Trash icon is moved to the lower right corner, just a few pixel visibel if you know it (turn off icon snapping)

- GameEx is in autostart and starts maximized

- GameEx exit shuts down windows, you can set this in GameEx settings

The only thing visible from Windows is the "Windows is starting" and "Windows is shutting down" text, but it's not that hard since the background on startup/shutdown is not the original blue one from Windows 7.

Great tips there Duglim. Just to add to your own advice you can actually hide your desktop icons by Right-Click (desktop)> View> and uncheck "Show desktop icons"

I have this set, with a jet black background. Not as effective as setting a Theme background as your wallpaper, but gives you the freedom to switch themes with minimum fuss. Needs must and all that :)

• Like 2