All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Theme problem: Draco Space invaders VS. Space invaders HD theme missing marquees

aldub516

Hey all, and thanks as always. Draco or anyone else that may be of help. I used to use the space invaders theme as it matched my cabinet theme, and recently updated to the HD version. One thing i noticed was that in the original version, the bottom right box would display marquess as i went down the list.. In the new version, it replaces it with just plain text such as game name, company, etc... Ive opened both in theme editor and noticed the original has the box set to an image, where as the HD is set up for text. I dont know much about the theme editor. I cant seem to figure out how to link a layout to a reaction. If i create an image item in the editor and delete the text boxes, how would i link that image box to read marquees of a selected game?

Here are two screenshots of the editor screens. The bottom right box is in question. Id love for the HD version to display the marquee or game art in that bottom box

space_HD.jpg
SPACE_INVADERS.jpg

image post

So i resolved this after digging through a ton of pages on the theme editor questions page. I now understand a lot more about the theme editor and its actual use/purpose. In this case, I opened the space invaders hd theme in the editor. I noticed in the first invaders theme, the bottom right box had "image 2" in it. The HD version had text boxes such as "title" "line 1" line 2". I now learned that you cant create or delete items, but move them instead. So i took all of those text boxes, and just set their X location to 4000, which put them way off screen. I then found image 2 in the object browser, and set the coordinates to 0-0 to bring it on screen. I placed in in its respectful box in the theme art, and boom, i am now displaying marquee/flyer art in the bottom right corner like the original invaders theme did. I wonder why draco chose to change this out in the hd version, but non the less, here is the workaround.

random note, im not sure exactly how this works. But when i originally brought image 2 on screen and in place and tested it, i knew i didnt place it center, but rather was just seeing if art would appear. It centered itself perfectly in the box. So maybe it knows where to place an objects parameters as long as the item is on screen? I basically randomly placed it over the text boxes to try it and it was perfectly aligned to where it should be.. wierd.

Sorry I wasn't able to respond sooner, but it seems that you have it all sorted out and learned a bit more about theme modification and creation in the process. Glad you like the theme!

The image and image2 objects do not always appear perfectly centered so sometimes you have to test, reload the theme, then adjust for the offset. Or some times you just get lucky in the initial placement as you did! :cheers:

Hey man. Yea, it was actually very interesting actually reading up on the editor and learning its actual current function. As for placing the image box, what can I say I guess. It just centered perfectly. Marquee art, game art/flyers all center perfectly. Happy to see what I can achieve now with the theme editor. Out of curiosity, why did u choose to have that text box in the new version?

I felt that the text was more informative and that it looked odd being empty when there wasn't an image to display. Just a personal preference. Especially since one can view the marquees, etc. before pressing play.