All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Gameboy Advanced won't load up... visual boy 1.7.2.

Theo

hiya, well ive asked 2 questions on here and had 2 answers to solve the problems!! lets keep up the good work with my million and one questions that follow in the weeks to come hahaha.

ok my emulator is visual boy advanced 1.7.2. and works fine on its own, when selecting a game in gameex it disapears for about 3 seconds then goes back to the game selection screen.

Rom Filter: *.gba;*.gbc;*.gb

ROMS in folders: No

ROM Path: C:\Emulators\Games\Game Boy Advanced

Working Path: C:\Emulators\Emulators Data\Game Boy Advanced - Visual Boy Advance 1.7.2

Debug Mode: Nothing Selected

Command Line: Visual Boy Advance 1.7.2 [ROMPath]\[RomFile]

:huh: ideas or suggestions welcome :)

ta!

hiya, well ive asked 2 questions on here and had 2 answers to solve the problems!! lets keep up the good work with my million and one questions that follow in the weeks to come hahaha.

ok my emulator is visual boy advanced 1.7.2. and works fine on its own, when selecting a game in gameex it disapears for about 3 seconds then goes back to the game selection screen.

Rom Filter: *.gba;*.gbc;*.gb

ROMS in folders: No

ROM Path: C:\Emulators\Games\Game Boy Advanced

Working Path: C:\Emulators\Emulators Data\Game Boy Advanced - Visual Boy Advance 1.7.2

Debug Mode: Nothing Selected

Command Line: Visual Boy Advance 1.7.2 [ROMPath]\[RomFile]

:huh: ideas or suggestions welcome :)

ta!

Okay. I can see what the problem is.

Try this in the command line:

VisualBoyAdvance.exe "[ROMPath]\[RomFile]"

Hope that helps. :)

Okay. I can see what the problem is.

Try this in the command line:

VisualBoyAdvance.exe "[ROMPath]\[RomFile]"

Hope that helps. :)

THANKYOU!

easy when you know how!

Windows uses the space character to delimit each of the arguments to the executable. So,

some_exe.exe arg1 arg2

has two arguments. The problem occurs when the arguments have spaces in them. For example,

some_exe.exe C:\Program Files

C:\Program would be seen as argument 1 and Files would be seen as argument 2, which is not what you were intending. Placing double quotes around each argument tells windows that everything within the quotes is one argument.

some_exe.exe "C:\Program Files"

sends C:\Program Files as a single argument, avoiding the problem caused by the spaces. It doesn't hurt anything to use quotes even when you don't need them.

So when you're using variables to pass arguments that might have spaces, just stick quotes around them to ensure that they're treated as a single argument. Hence,

some_exe.exe "[ROMPath]\[RomFile]"

I hope that helps you understand why the quotes are needed :)