All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Dolphin/Netplay Users

uberpubert69

Any of you been messing with the recent builds of Dolphin lately? I've got to say I'm impressed at the progress that's been made. Before I was using OpenGL as my primary backend because it was faster than Direct3D. But lately I was messing around and idk if it was because I disabled OpenMP Texture Hack but Direct3D plays games so much better now! I can play Mario Kart Wii at 2x the Internal Resolution at 60FPS solid! Before on OpenGL i got hangs and skips in the game a lot. Going to test out other games to see how they're running (Looking at you F-Zero GX!).

I just wanted to know what you guys think about how things are going with this emulator. Feel free to share your settings if you think you got a good setup going as well, that way people can use this topic as a reference of sorts.

Also, does anyone on here use Netplay on Dolphin? I'm not sure about on the official builds now that the Nintendo Servers have been shut down but there is a build from a community that plays Super Smash Bros. Project M via netplay. I'd like to play some Mario Kart Wii or SSB or whatever with some people on here. If you don't have the right build you can use mine (The netplay in this build works differently from the official branch.) Just hit me up on here or PM me and we'll get some game going! :)

Dolphin-x64.rar

Dolphin has always progressed nicely imho... I wish more open.source emulators would follow suit. :)

• Like 2

Dolphin has always progressed nicely imho... I wish more open.source emulators would follow suit. :)

Amen to that! Dolphin is one of them shining examples of how a group effort should play out. Do you guys remember how it came out of nowhere and was just BAM! Get a load of me! I admit i use it mainly for GC but damn, it's good. It just goes to show how a project can develope with the right minds all thinking in tandem :) Love it.

Amen to that! Dolphin is one of them shining examples of how a group effort should play out. Do you guys remember how it came out of nowhere and was just BAM! Get a load of me! I admit i use it mainly for GC but damn, it's good. It just goes to show how a project can develope with the right minds all thinking in tandem :) Love it.

Yeah it really did come out of nowhere. I still have issues with some games like F-Zero GX and Metroid Prime being too slow but that's probably my hardware thats screwing me up. I can play loads of games perfectly. :)

Setup dolphin last night with mario kart and super smash 4x native res at and 2x AA n was still smooth at 60fps... was very shocked how well everything runned. What are good games to get for the dolphin emulator I never play any Wii or GC games

Setup dolphin last night with mario kart and super smash 4x native res at and 2x AA n was still smooth at 60fps... was very shocked how well everything runned. What are good games to get for the dolphin emulator I never play any Wii or gamecube.

I'd like to know your specs. But a good place to start would be these games:

Animal Crossing

Crazy Taxi

Metroid Prime 1 & 2

Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2

Resident Evil 4

Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door

Pokemon Colosseum

Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness

Eternal Darkness

F-Zero GX

Super Mario Sunshine

Soul Calibur 2

The Legend of Zelda Windwaker

The Legend of Zelda, The Twilight Princess

Animal Crossing City Folk

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Kirby's Return to Dream Land

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption

Monster Hunter Tri

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

No More Heroes 1&2

Red Steel 1&2

Rhythm Heaven Fever

Sonic Colors

Super Mario Galaxy 1&2

Super Paper Mario

The House of The Dead - Overkill

The House of The Dead 2 & 3 Return

The Last Story

Xenoblade Chronicles

There should be something there that you like :P

I3 4150 gtx 750ti 4gig ram dual channel... all on a mini itx board in a mini itx coolmaster case. Was suprized it run so smoothly at 4x native but I was just like testing and wanted to see if it could.

Fairly suprized with the gtx 750ti it does not need to be plugged into the psu for power it draws it from the mobo its super quite and have yet to see if it even gets hot.

I have DBZ BT3 on ps2 is it worth getting it on dolphine??

I3 4150 gtx 750ti 4gig ram dual channel... all on a mini itx board in a mini itx coolmaster case. Was suprized it run so smoothly at 4x native but I was just like testing and wanted to see if it could.

Fairly suprized with the gtx 750ti it does not need to be plugged into the psu for power it draws it from the mobo its super quite and have yet to see if it even gets hot.

If you like making Kamehameha gestures at your screen like a fool then yeah. Otherwise just stick to the PS2 version. :P

I'm jelly at your GFX card. Was gonna crossfire another 7750 into the one I got already but I got screwed at the last second and couldn't get it. :/

You'll run Dolphin no problem :) I have i3 2120 (much older than yours) 4GB RAM and 2GB 7870. Runs PCSX2 and Dolphin with ease ;) Try Dolphin you will be AMAZED!

For what it's worth, Dolphin runs much, much better than PCSX2.

• Like 1

Last month I gave up selling a nice tower since I wasn't drawing interest. It's now my emulation station in my arcade cabinet:

* AMD Quad-Core A10-6800K 4.1GHz processor
* Biostar Hi-Fi A85W motherboard
* Team Vulcan 8GB RAM (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 2400 (PC3 19200)
* ZOTAC nVidia GeForce GT 240 1GB DDR5 HDMI video card

I haven't tried Dolphin due to the slow speeds I used to get in my old setup but I honestly don't think I'll have an issue with it now correct?

Last month I gave up selling a nice tower since I wasn't drawing interest. It's now my emulation station in my arcade cabinet:

* AMD Quad-Core A10-6800K 4.1GHz processor

* Biostar Hi-Fi A85W motherboard

* Team Vulcan 8GB RAM (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 2400 (PC3 19200)

* ZOTAC nVidia GeForce GT 240 1GB DDR5 HDMI video card

I haven't tried Dolphin due to the slow speeds I used to get in my old setup but I honestly don't think I'll have an issue with it now correct?

Your build is very similar to mine if not better. You should definitely be able to play Dolphin at playable framerates. Not sure how good a GT 240 is though compared to my HD 7750.

Yeah it really did come out of nowhere. I still have issues with some games like F-Zero GX and Metroid Prime being too slow but that's probably my hardware thats screwing me up. I can play loads of games perfectly. :)

The prime series all do the shuttering video/audio no matter the hardware (acording to the wiki). Trilogy on wii is slightly better but still the FPS are 30-40 with an i7 and very good GPU. I Downloaded your build and it's much better than my previous version (3 I think). Sunshine runs well, prime is still bugged out. ***EDIT: I have gotten it to 27-60 FPS depending on action, actually it's playable, if not noticeably jerky/slow very often. Honestly that's not how I want to play it, but it's much better than before..***

Is it just me or does dolphin load game settings automatically? Are those the best general settings (as of release) or do you have to tweak? The little Playing I did led me to think the game specific properties were limited, do I need a progrem like PCSX2Launch/bonus to tease the best performance out of dolphin? Or is there a best config that applies across the board?

• Like 1

The prime series all do the shuttering video/audio no matter the hardware (acording to the wiki). Trilogy on wii is slightly better but still the FPS are 30-40 with an i7 and very good GPU. I Downloaded your build and it's much better than my previous version (3 I think). Sunshine runs well, prime is still bugged out. ***EDIT: I have gotten it to 27-60 FPS depending on action, actually it's playable, if not noticeably jerky/slow very often. Honestly that's not how I want to play it, but it's much better than before..***

Is it just me or does dolphin load game settings automatically? Are those the best general settings (as of release) or do you have to tweak? The little Playing I did led me to think the game specific properties were limited, do I need a progrem like PCSX2Launch/bonus to tease the best performance out of dolphin? Or is there a best config that applies across the board?

I responded to your question a couple days ago but a storm knocked out my power before I could finish. Yes some tweaking is required. Go here https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/performance-guide/

Also, never use Open MP Texture hack as it rapes your FPS in a bad way.

EDIT 9/1: If you add your game directory to Dolphin and right click your game in the list you can make game specific settings but only a few games really need their own settings like Paper Mario or F-Zero GX.

I've just tried the latest revison and it's amazing. I tried playing Turok Evolution which i was never able to get passed 30-40 FPS now plays at a solid 60 FPS! Although there was a bug in the sound where a white noise started to play and progressively got louder and louder and louder so I had to turn the sound (in game) to 0 and it went away. There is also the regression of (and I'm sure tere are others) Star Wars Rouge Squadron II does not even boot anymore I just get a black screen no matter what settings I use. It had very poor compatibility to begin with but it did boot and play to some extetnt.

Here is the official progress report for last month, lots of CPU optimizations have been made. :)

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/08/31/dolphin-progress-report-august-2014/

I'll upload the latest revision here for people who want to try it. It does not have the easy netplay feature like the one in my first post.

Dolphin 4.0-2826.7z

... There is also the regression of (and I'm sure tere are others) Star Wars Rouge Squadron II does not even boot anymore I just get a black screen no matter what settings I use. It had very poor compatibility to begin with but it did boot and play to some extetnt.

Here is the official progress report for last month, lots of CPU optimizations have been made. :)

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/08/31/dolphin-progress-report-august-2014/

I'll upload the latest revision here for people who want to try it. It does not have the easy netplay feature like the one in my first post.

attachicon.gifDolphin 4.0-2826.7z

Interesting, i'll check it out. Yeah, crash bandicoot: the wrath of cortex plays on 3 (20 fps) but not 4 (It freezes during the intro). It wont let me use "synchronize gpu thread" which may clear this up if caused by the dual core enhancement. I'll try the latest revision to see if that clears it up. BTW: I get much higher FPS in games when I disable lighting, fog, etc. Looks bad, but plays better.

EDIT:

Wow, this new version seems to have fixed metroid prime! I'm getting 40-60 FPS now pretty much all the time, rarely getting into the 30s. There is still a freeze/shutter every once and awhile, but the sound is perfect and the video is good. Its actually playable and enjoyable. By far my favorite GC title, this has absolutely changed my opinion of dolphin for the better. It also fixed the crash bandicoot break in the previous version you uploaded, although it's still way too slow to play; it doesn't play well on PCSX2 either, better, but still slow/buggy. So, I can't say i'm surprised.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting, i'll check it out. Yeah, crash bandicoot: the wrath of cortex plays on 3 (20 fps) but not 4 (It freezes during the intro). It wont let me use "synchronize gpu thread" which may clear this up if caused by the dual core enhancement. I'll try the latest revision to see if that clears it up. BTW: I get much higher FPS in games when I disable lighting, fog, etc. Looks bad, but plays better.

EDIT:

Wow, this new version seems to have fixed metroid prime! I'm getting 40-60 FPS now pretty much all the time, rarely getting into the 30s. There is still a freeze/shutter every once and awhile, but the sound is perfect and the video is good. Its actually playable and enjoyable. By far my favorite GC title, this has absolutely changed my opinion of dolphin for the better. It also fixed the crash bandicoot break in the previous version you uploaded, although it's still way too slow to play; it doesn't play well on PCSX2 either, better, but still slow/buggy. So, I can't say i'm surprised.

There have been huge performance improvements this month! Even Star Wars Rouge Squadron 2 plays again, and faster at that. Plus tons of performance improvements all around. :)

Here's this months progress report: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/09/30/dolphin-progress-report-september-2014/

Here's their dl section with development builds: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/

I'm so impressed with this emulator, I can't even begin to imagine how awesome it'll be in a year!

Just looked at the monthly update - wow - these guys are slick. I'm wondering whether it represents an era of emulator development... Ya know... things like WinVice were developed by (just one guy?). Guessing ZSNES etc by just a few. N64 emu by a handful. PCSX2 by a number and now dolphin by a whole community.

Bit like games history innit!? Jet Set Willy - one of my first fave games done by one bloke! Lots of C64 titles done by 2 or 3. SNES and beyond... upwards!

But yes - the most impressive emulator project I've seen yet - clearly a large, well co-ordinated, multi-talented community.

I wish I could code - I'd jump on the PCSX2 team - they seem really under-staffed for such a great project...

Just looked at the monthly update - wow - these guys are slick. I'm wondering whether it represents an era of emulator development... Ya know... things like WinVice were developed by (just one guy?). Guessing ZSNES etc by just a few. N64 emu by a handful. PCSX2 by a number and now dolphin by a whole community.

Bit like games history innit!? Jet Set Willy - one of my first fave games done by one bloke! Lots of C64 titles done by 2 or 3. SNES and beyond... upwards!

But yes - the most impressive emulator project I've seen yet - clearly a large, well co-ordinated, multi-talented community.

I wish I could code - I'd jump on the PCSX2 team - they seem really under-staffed for such a great project...

Yeah man, there's no telling how far it'll go! PCSX2 is kind of hiding in the shadow of Dolphin now (more than ever). Which is a shame because it has the same potential as Dolphin. But from what I read recently its going to take forever for PCSX2 to even go 64 Bit. A move that Dolphin has already made months ago. I hope more people go to help PCSX2 just as much as they are with Dolphin because Dolphin has basically become my virtual copy of my physical Wii with my NAND dumped into it. :)

Having a lot of fun emulating my systems with their original controllers (More on that here), especially with the wavebird on Metroid Prime, now that it plays. Yeah, too bad PCSX2 is not quickly moving like Dolphin. I really want to play Ratchet & Clank with DX Hardware, if they can ever work out that texture bug, software is just too slow. I'd be geeked.

• Like 1

Having a lot of fun emulating my systems with their original controllers (More on that here), especially with the wavebird on Metroid Prime, now that it plays. Yeah, too bad PCSX2 is not quickly moving like Dolphin. I really want to play Ratchet & Clank with DX Hardware, if they can ever work out that texture bug, software is just too slow. I'd be geeked.

Right? I had Up Your Arsenal back in the day and loved it, that electro whip man. But back to being on topic lol :P