All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Theme background question

MNMax21

I am using krakerman's new theme and it's fantastic! I have been encountering a minor issue at times. I recently loaded the theme onto my buddies computer too and it's having the same issue.

The issue. When I go into the emulator select area, it works great with the background. I then choose Atari 2600 and sometimes the background and foreground show up. Then other times it stalls, then reverts back to the main startbak background for the theme. I did monkey a bit with the theme and rename the main file to mirror the name of my friends cabinet, "Jesse's Girl." Should I be using the Gameroom file name, or would that even matter. I only made changes to the artwork in the GameEx HiScore Competition theme and a few of the main backgrounds. (I Should include, the only changes I have made are to the artwork. I added just a few things to personalize. I have not changed any files. I changed the main theme file from "GameroomV2....." to "Jesse's Girl.")

Is there a MB size limit on the file size for a background .png?

I have posted my .ini. I do not currently have access to my log, but I can post that tonight, if need be.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Oh, I have a Gforce GTX 760 and a Pentium 3, so I am hoping it's not a hardware issue.

GameEx.ini

This is apparently the same issue Riffman and Krakerman reported here. This is apparently a known issue with no ETA for a fix at present. Renaming the theme file or any other edits you made should have no bearing on this issue.

• Like 1

This is apparently the same issue Riffman and Krakerman reported here. This is apparently a known issue with no ETA for a fix at present. Renaming the theme file or any other edits you made should have no bearing on this issue.

Yeah, this is a known issue with GameEx as I've had this problem with other themes in the past. As Draco mentioned, I've made several attempts and threads at finding exactly what causes it but with no luck I'm afraid. For me, it doesn't happen everytime, just in rare instances... and in some cases, GameEx will actually close with an error report requiring me to restart GE again.

OK, thanks for the heads up. I cannot seem to follow the link, but my apologies for the repost. Very odd. I never had the issue until I switched to this theme. At least, I didn't realize it. However, this is the first theme I've used that has pretty much a custom background for every list. You guys can delete the topic posting here if it's repetitive. Maybe someone will see it this time and find the issue though, who knows. It's for someone with more computer power than myself! haha

For what it's worth i've only noticed this happen on themes with custom emu backgrounds/modules enabled (ie Krak's). I've made 9 themes so far, 4 of them with custom backs and all 4 seem to do what you decribe. Doesn't help you much i know ^_^ Just enlightening ya :)

Yeah, that's the same for me. I have custom for everything basically now, when you factor in krak's backgrounds. What's odd, is that it reverts back to the startbak screen, which is also a custom background now. I wonder if it's an emulator specific thing. You could maybe make it a specific background file in the advanced emulator setup spot, but then I think the foreground images would go bye bye. Unless there was a destination for specific foreground images too. I am just wondering if it's having trouble communicating to the new emulator theme file and if that would be alleviated by entering the file destination for the backgrounds into that custom background image space in the advanced emulator location. Also, if you did this... would the scrollers still function?

Update:

I will post my log when I get home. Maybe someone can find similar writing in the other logs that have the issue.

Just as a side note: It typically will revert to emubak instead of startbak if you have a generic emulator page in your theme.

I made a copy of the previous gameex config file and saved it. I am looking the two over for differences. I located a line under [CachedImages] titled "res=....."

In the old version it has res=2304000

The new config file has res=1044480

Could this be an issue. I honestly have no idea what this is, but the number is lower in the new config. I'll try the old line when I get home.

I don't think its going to matter honestly. The problem is internal. ;)