All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[Resolved] Steam list problems

stigzler

Hi folks.

Sure this was working OK before. Just turned on my cab again for first time in a few weeks. My Steam library has 20 games. However, my GameEx Steam library only 14 - some key ones missing, including Sine Mora.

What I've tried:

- Re-entering the steam settings in setup wizard

- deleting all the cache files in data

No joy. :(

Any ideas?

Hi Stigz!

Rebuilding your Steam list is a bit different than going through the old "delete cache files and let GameEx rebuild" routine, although it's not entirely different either. The data for your steam list resides in \GameEx\DATA\steamdata.ini. Try deleting and or renaming that file to see if it helps to resolve your issue.

Oh hey you're using the most recent version of GameEx right? There was an update to the Steam client that temporarily broke compatibility with GameEx. That issue was addressed in GameEx 13.21.

Thanks null, but nope - no joy with either - on 13.25.

Deleted steamdata.ini - presuming rebuilt at startup. Still only 14 items....

Hmmm - no idea on this one... :(

EDIT - just had a butchers at my steamdata.ini - only 14 games in their too - seems that the others aren't getting picked up by the scan. The missing games play from my steam browser. :/

OK ... we may need to go deep here. It used to be that you could rebuild your Steam list fairly reliably using the following method:

For duplicate and missing entries try the following:
Close Steam then rename ...\Steam\config\config.vdf to config.old
Open Steam again and Steam will create a new config.vdf

This previously fixed it for me when I was testing for Tom

As for the missing artwork:
Delete ...\GameEx\DATA\steamdata.ini
and anything in the following directories
...\GameEx\MEDIA\STEAM\BOX
...\GameEx\MEDIA\STEAM\SNAP
...\GameEx\MEDIA\STEAM\VIDEO

GameEx will then read you new vdf and start again, creating it's database and snaps

BUT ... since that time Steam has altered (discontinued the use of?) config.vdf, which is what necessitated the changes in the GameEx 13.21 release. The only trouble is that now I don't really know what Steam files GameEx relies on in order to build it's Steam Games list. It may require some research, or Tom may be able to fill in some missing details for us.

At any rate it shouldn't hurt anything to attempt the above steps described by Stu (be sure to back up date just in case though!). It might help with the issue but honestly I'm not sure whether it will or not.

Thanks, but nope - no joy. Did all above, back to where I started.

Had a look at the old vdf file + the newly generated one. Very different. The old had a whole number of what looked like game id's followed by a decryption number

the new one doesn't have these. Wonder what's going on?

Naw - don't think so Draco - anyways - one of first things I tried - re-entering my password into gameex. I will double check tomorrow though, because I remember looking at it tonight - lot more dots in the password field than the actual password - rmember re-changing it first time i noticed that, and then just singing it off as a setup wizard security thing..

cheers

• 1 month later...

Just revisited this with the new GE update and still having the same problem.

Anyone got any ideas? Very frustrating as loving the Steam games - just can't get GE working properly with them. :(

Tried that as per nulls advice above draco. Didn't work. He did mention that steam no longer uses vdf files. Will try it again tonight though given ge update. Needing someone who knows about the ge and steam interaction technicalities.

Hey stigz, have you tried reinstalling any of the troublesome 4 since the GE update? Maybe try the smallest game as a test? I've seen in the past some games don't appear for some users unless they reinstall said games. I'm curious if it will fix your issue. It seems just about all ideas involving Steam have been given. It's still a fairly new feature and so i think the gritty little details one aqquires over time just haven't been discovered yet.

• Like 1

WOOP! I earned my first peanut! I ain't all just braun and good looks you know :P

Seriously though, always a pleasure :)

EDIT - im not sure what qualifies as a re-install, but on the next game you could try deleting an important file from the game directory, then in Steam, right-click the game in your Library> Properties> Local Files> Verify Integrity of Game Cache. This will re-install the missing file you deleted. Whether or not it will work the same as a full reinstall (in regards to GE recognising it) i don't know, but it's worth a try is it not ;)