All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Is there a sega model 2 database?

Circo

I'm still hard at work on the database videos. I decided to switch things up and try an arcade system. I just tried sega model 2 and the database seems to be empty. I then tried associating it with the mame database but it only pulled 3 games. Is there one being worked on or are they easy to make?

I am not sure if one has been created or not to be honest.

I have created my own database for the PC Z-Code Interactive Fiction using one of the GameEx MS Access DBs as a template for content order. Fairly easy to make. I haven't doen the same with SQLite (which is the defacto DB format now for GameEx - although GameEx will still recognize the Access DBs).

nullPointer has a decent thread here with links if you do not have a SQLite editor already and want to give it a try.

GreatFlash (the db guru) helped me out with this some time ago. Do a good search and it should come up somewhere! Sorry - don't have the link. Oh, the answer is "yes" there is a db for this!

The closest I could find was this thread containing databases for Sega Naomi, Sega Model 3, and Atomiswave. If one were looking for a reasonable starting point to draft a custom Model 2 database that would probably be a good one. Sadly I was not able to find a Model 2 database.

There is another nugget of wisdom in that thread though that's highly worth consideration. The SQLite databases are updated from time to time and when/if that happens there is a distinct possibility that any custom SQLite databases might be overwritten.

I don't believe that the older mdb (Access) databases are being maintained in parallel though. So if one were interested in implementing a custom database I would actually recommend using the legacy format in order to preserve your efforts. The dicey part about this is that Tom has definitively said that SQLite is the future (as well as the present) of GameEx database architecture. So while GameEx supports mdb databases today, it's hard to say what the future holds. (And I don't have any "secret" information here - just attempting to provide a reasonable disclaimer).

The other option of course would be to draft your own SQLite database and set the file as being read-only. Just remember to "unlock" it before you start editing, or you may make several changes only to discover that you can't actually save them!

• Like 1

My names are correct just no category, pub, year etc. Thanks for the help. Plenty of other systems to do. :)

If there was an easy way to submit changes I could probably submit a few fixes. Going game by game through these databases I'm coming across the occasional error or data omission.