All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Best way to back up your Gameex?

m1rock

Just looking for some suggestions or instruction from users as to how they back up all their hard work. What tools or software do you use or recommend? What parts of gameex do you make sure to always keep a recorded copy of in the case of virus or hardrive failure? Whats the easiest way to always ensure your work is protected from the unexpected?

Not meaning to sound like I'm selling out lol, but I use a program called "SyncBack". It's free, and it takes care of everything that I want it to when it comes to backing up files. You can even create scheduled backups :)

• Like 1

The single most important file is gameex.ini. It contains almost all of your settings for GameEx.

After that, there are CustomMenu.ini, custominput.ini, and mameemumap.ini if you are using any of those features.

Next would be any plugin ini or xml files if you are using any of the plugins. EG: Plugins\PluginLCD\PluginLCD.ini or Plugins\MAME Commander 2\Settings.xml files if you are using any of the plugins.

If you have any custom themes or images you would want to back them up as well.

• Like 2

Not meaning to sound like I'm selling out lol, but I use a program called "SyncBack". It's free, and it takes care of everything that I want it to when it comes to backing up files. You can even create scheduled backups :)

Free? Free is nice. :D Do you just have it create a backup to another harddrive? I was almost considering purchasing carbinite but was not entirely sure if it was what I needed. Ive been horrible with creating back ups of my pcs in the past but after a recent scare ive decided to do something about it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Anytime :) ..and it's 100% free. They do have a pro version (and I'm not sure how much it costs lol) but the free version has no ads, etc...and will let you back up files to a hard drive, or even keep one drive synced with another.

I have mine backing up to an external hard drive once a week (it will first check for any changes that were made from the source destination and "update" your backup drive with any files that were modified or added) around 4am when everyone is asleep.

I've never tried carbonite, but I found that SyncBack fills all my needs for what I want in a backup program...and again, lol it's free :)

• Like 1

One thing I would recommend is a complete backup stored elsewhere to subsequent scheduled backups. I have found that if for some reason if a file goes bad and you restore from subsequent scheduled backup, you are left with that bad file in that last backup.

• Like 1

Some pretty dope suggestions. :) Im going to get myself a terrabyte external drive (and a 2600-daptor and some paddle controllers for my cabinet) on payday and get on it. Also how do you get those sweet signatures that share your last run game on gameex?