All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Override Microsoft prohibitations of installation?

hansolo77

Hey guys, me again!

Does anybody know of a way to override lockouts set in place when you try to install Microsoft products? What I want to do is install the latest .NET on my WHS v1 so I can run the Media Browser 3 "server" on it. The MB3 server requires .NET 4.5 but when you try to install it it says it was not made for that OS. I'll grant you, I don't know much about .NET but it seems to me that it's just a software. Why would Microsoft block it from being able to be installed? Does anybody know a way to override it or force it to be installed (like manually copying files to folders or something)?

Yeah, I've been reading, it looks like its because .NET nowadays is for x64 architecture, while the v1 Windows Home Server software is strictly x32. Kinda dumb if you ask me. I really don't want to upgrade to the WHS 2011 version because Microsoft removed all their Drive Pool and Duplication features.

Actually it is in both x86 and x64 flavors. WHS v1, however, is based off of the 2003 Server core so it stands to reason that there is no longer any support for it. It supports a minimum of Server 2008 as can be seen here. It is understandable both your disappointment and the need for MS to move forward.

Keeping up support for legacy software is a huge PITA, there's only so much you can do before you just make the decision to close the door. :-)

I would be willing to upgrade if only there was a drive pool feature. I've read that there were attempts to make a 3rd party plugin app for WHS 2011 but they don't really work all that great. The only way is by building a RAID system, and I don't have any RAID controllers. SAS looks like an option, but it would require a whole new design scheme from the chassis, to the mobo and controller cards. We're talking MORE money, of which I don't have. So for the time being, I'm stuck with WHS v1. I thought about maybe ditching everything altogether and build like a FreeNAS or something, but that defeats the purpose of having a Windows server and being able to install stuff like .NET and the MB3 server software on it.