All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Mess Emulator

Beaps73

Basically all of the commands for Mess are the same. You can find out what the options are for each emulator by using the -listmedia switch.

"C:\Users\Asus Laptop\Desktop\Mess\mess0151b_64bit\mess64.exe" -listmedia > "C:\Users\Asus Laptop\Desktop\Mess\ListMedia.txt"

The above command will divert the output from the command window into a text file on my desktop named listmedia.txt. You will need to use your path to mess, and to where you want the file to be written.

This Page will give you general options such as -nowindow, and -joystick.

A typical command for Mess may look like: mess.exe a2600 -cart "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" -joystick -nowindow

The only other thing that you need to do is to have the correct bios for each system. I believe that the bios files go in the Mess\Roms folder.

• Like 1

Based on Tempest's comments above and typical MESS command parameters it will probably be something like this:

mess.exe cpc464 -flop1 "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" -joystick -nowindow

That's just a guess, but it's probably not far off. Both MESS and MAME are particularly responsive to testing with runitgame.bat (as described here), so if you run into trouble that's a very good means of digging yourself out.

As previously noted I think most of our users are running with WinAPE at the moment (thanks in part to Tempest's awesome loader), so that's always an option if MESS just isn't getting it done for you.

• Like 1

I might have to give up Amstrad as a bad do, I am having no luck, just spent like 3h trying to config it.

I am using a wired Xbox 360 controller & 15khz Arcade Monitor

* WinApe - I get a directdraw error on startup, only works windowed with no joystick support

* CPC95 - No options in the emu or config file to drop the resolution, no controller working either

* Caprice32 (old version) - managed to get the screen looking great at 320x240, again no joystick & as it was an old version the sound was not fixed.

* Caprice32 (latest version) - could not get a 320x240 to resize like the previous version, sound was spot on, again no joystick

* mess - couldn't get the above command line to work

In terms of MESS have you tried troubleshooting with runitgame.bat yet? If so what did the console output say? Maybe post your emulator config as has been suggested so we can take a look? Help us help you my friend!

4. "Run Last Game",or "RunitGame.bat"

It is important that the last emulator run in GameEx is the one that you are having problems with!

A. Post your "Run Last Game"
or "Runitgame.bat"

Every once in awhile, someone will ask to post the contents of "Runitgame.bat" RunitGame.bat, Is the batch file that GameEx uses to start the emulator, it will show the actual command lines that GameEx is using to start the emulator. To view it, Go to: Start Menu > Program Files > GameEx > Utilities> Run Last Game, and Right click on the icon, and choose "Edit". If Windows wants to know what program to use to open the file, Choose "Select a Program From a List of Installed Programs" Choose "Notepad" from the list. (You may want to make sure that "Use This Program Everytime" is checked.)

Copy and paste the text from Notepad into your next post, by using the keys:
Ctrl + "A" (select all)
Ctrl + "C" (copy)
Ctrl + "V" (paste)

B. Troubleshooting with "Run Last Game"

Follow the instructions above to open "runitgame.bat" It will look something like this, however, the contents will vary depending on the last emulator that was run in GameEx.

@ECHO OFFC:CD "C:\Program Files\Mame0127"mame.exe 005 -rompath "D:\Mame 0.128 roms"
One way to troubleshoot a problem is to add the word "Pause" at the end of the Runitgame.bat file. When Windows asks "Do you want to save the changes..." Click on "Save". Next, double click on the "Run Last Game" Icon in the Start Menu. This will send the commands again, but the command window will remain open. It may show an error that will help you to understand what is wrong.

If you get this error:
'Emulator name.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
It means that either you have the incorrect name specified for your Emulator.exe, or your working path is incorrect.

If it gives an error that you don't understand, please let us know that you tried this method, and let us know what the error is.
  • Like 1

No worries man! I just want get you up and running with this thing. It's been a long time since I used MESS, but maybe I'll have to download it give it a whirl to see what I can come up with.

In the meantime I highly recommend following the steps listed in the "Troubleshooting with "Run Last Game"" section described above. As an emulator MESS is pretty good about giving you meaningful error messages, which should make it quite a bit easier to see that's going wrong here.

Tempest Touched on this, but I wanted to make sure. You do have the correct BIOS for the Amstrad CPC right? You must also create a folder Named "roms" inside the MESS folder, the BIOS must be kept there and still be Zipped. This wiki might also be of help: http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/MESS

In the wiki they mention some problems with CPC emulatuon in MESS. Hopefully you can get it running.

• Like 1

OK, so in the end I decided to give WinApe another shot. The reason being I can use the GameBase setup (pics etc) but if I use Mess I cant I just get the games list.

When I run WinApe it works in a window but when I set to full screen I get this error. There is no forum over at WinApe to ask anyone what is the error code

post-25518-0-49733100-1388580052_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I am trying also to set up WinAPE for CPC Gamebase release and getting the same error prompt as described above. I am using an arcade VGA card with a Low Res CRT monitor.

I would prefer MESS but as stated above there are some problems with a working command line?

As I posted above, the -listmedia switch is used to show parameters for each system. There are multiple versions of cpc.

cpc300       printer     (prin)     .prn               cassette    (cass)     .wav  .tap  .cas               floppydisk1 (flop1)    .dsk  .fdi  .td0  .imd  .cqm  .d77  .d88  .1dd               floppydisk2 (flop2)    .dsk  .fdi  .td0  .imd  .cqm  .d77  .d88  .1dd               cartridge1  (cart1)    .mx1  .rom               cartridge2  (cart2)    .mx1  .rom  cpc300e      printer     (prin)     .prn               cassette    (cass)     .wav  .tap  .cas               floppydisk1 (flop1)    .dsk  .fdi  .td0  .imd  .cqm  .d77  .d88  .1dd               floppydisk2 (flop2)    .dsk  .fdi  .td0  .imd  .cqm  .d77  .d88  .1dd               cartridge1  (cart1)    .mx1  .rom               cartridge2  (cart2)    .mx1  .rom  cpc400       printer     (prin)     .prn               cassette    (cass)     .wav  .tap  .cas               floppydisk1 (flop1)    .dsk  .fdi  .td0  .imd  .cqm  .d77  .d88  .1dd               floppydisk2 (flop2)    .dsk  .fdi  .td0  .imd  .cqm  .d77  .d88  .1dd               cartridge1  (cart1)    .mx1  .rom               cartridge2  (cart2)    .mx1  .rom  cpc400s      printer     (prin)     .prn               cassette    (cass)     .wav  .tap  .cas               floppydisk1 (flop1)    .dsk  .fdi  .td0  .imd  .cqm  .d77  .d88  .1dd               floppydisk2 (flop2)    .dsk  .fdi  .td0  .imd  .cqm  .d77  .d88  .1dd               cartridge1  (cart1)    .mx1  .rom               cartridge2  (cart2)    .mx1  .rom  cpc464       printer     (prin)     .prn               snapshot    (dump)     .sna               cassette    (cass)     .wav  .cdt               floppydisk1 (flop1)    .dsk  .d77  .d88  .1dd  .dfi  .imd  .ipf  .mfi  .mfm  .td0               floppydisk2 (flop2)    .dsk  .d77  .d88  .1dd  .dfi  .imd  .ipf  .mfi  .mfm  .td0  cpc464p      printer     (prin)     .prn               snapshot    (dump)     .sna               cassette    (cass)     .wav  .cdt               floppydisk1 (flop1)    .dsk  .d77  .d88  .1dd  .dfi  .imd  .ipf  .mfi  .mfm  .td0               floppydisk2 (flop2)    .dsk  .d77  .d88  .1dd  .dfi  .imd  .ipf  .mfi  .mfm  .td0               cartridge   (cart)     .cpr  .bin  cpc6128      printer     (prin)     .prn               snapshot    (dump)     .sna               cassette    (cass)     .wav  .cdt               floppydisk1 (flop1)    .dsk  .d77  .d88  .1dd  .dfi  .imd  .ipf  .mfi  .mfm  .td0               floppydisk2 (flop2)    .dsk  .d77  .d88  .1dd  .dfi  .imd  .ipf  .mfi  .mfm  .td0  cpc6128f     printer     (prin)     .prn               snapshot    (dump)     .sna               cassette    (cass)     .wav  .cdt               floppydisk1 (flop1)    .dsk  .d77  .d88  .1dd  .dfi  .imd  .ipf  .mfi  .mfm  .td0               floppydisk2 (flop2)    .dsk  .d77  .d88  .1dd  .dfi  .imd  .ipf  .mfi  .mfm  .td0  cpc6128p     printer     (prin)     .prn               snapshot    (dump)     .sna               cassette    (cass)     .wav  .cdt               floppydisk1 (flop1)    .dsk  .d77  .d88  .1dd  .dfi  .imd  .ipf  .mfi  .mfm  .td0               floppydisk2 (flop2)    .dsk  .d77  .d88  .1dd  .dfi  .imd  .ipf  .mfi  .mfm  .td0               cartridge   (cart)     .cpr  .bin  cpc6128s     printer     (prin)     .prn               snapshot    (dump)     .sna               cassette    (cass)     .wav  .cdt               floppydisk1 (flop1)    .dsk  .d77  .d88  .1dd  .dfi  .imd  .ipf  .mfi  .mfm  .td0               floppydisk2 (flop2)    .dsk  .d77  .d88  .1dd  .dfi  .imd  .ipf  .mfi  .mfm  .td0  cpc664       printer     (prin)     .prn               snapshot    (dump)     .sna               cassette    (cass)     .wav  .cdt               floppydisk1 (flop1)    .dsk  .d77  .d88  .1dd  .dfi  .imd  .ipf  .mfi  .mfm  .td0               floppydisk2 (flop2)    .dsk  .d77  .d88  .1dd  .dfi  .imd  .ipf  .mfi  .mfm  .td0  

If you want to use cpc464 with a flopppy disk, then the command would be:

mess.exe cpc464 -flop1 "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" -nowindow -joystick

and your rom filter might include: .dsk .d77 .d88 .1dd .dfi .imd .ipf .mfi .mfm .td0

If you are having issues with your video card, there are video options that may help.

Video Modes

MESS allows you to choose also different video configurations, to improve compatibility with older video card. These settings are OS-depending.

If you are using MESS for Windows, you can select

-video d3d
-video ddraw
-video gdi

D3D is the fastest setting, but it requires a Direct 3D 8+ compatible graphics card. If your card is not compatible with latest Direct 3D, you may want to try ddraw or gdi.

You can also select which version of Direct 3D libraries to use, by setting the -d3dversion options. You can only choose between 8 and 9 (corresponding to Direct 3D 8 and Direct 3D 9), 9 being the default.

All of this information and more can be found on MESS User's Manual

• Like 1