All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

MAME Rotation issue

Beaps73

I know its an old thread but I have a similar problem.

When I start GameEx the TATE games are NOT rotated (I have to go into MAME GUI & rotate 90 degrees). Once I exit the game & go back into GameEx, then load the same game again, its back as I first started the game (not rotated like I just like I started it for the first time) :blink:

If I go into the MAME setup in GameEX & select the 'Rotate Screen' option, it does nothing.

If I forget about GameEx & load up MAME.exe and select a game, then Rotate 90 Degrees it in the GUI & then exit MAME & go back in & load the game again it perfect, it in TATE mode.

Its doing my head in, why is GameEx not loading the game like MAME.exe does?

I know its an old thread but I have a similar problem.

When I start GameEx the TATE games are NOT rotated (I have to go into MAME GUI & rotate 90 degrees). Once I exit the game & go back into GameEx, then load the same game again, its back as I first started the game (not rotated like I just like I started it for the first time) :blink:

If I go into the MAME setup in GameEX & select the 'Rotate Screen' option, it does nothing.

If I forget about GameEx & load up MAME.exe and select a game, then Rotate 90 Degrees it in the GUI & then exit MAME & go back in & load the game again it perfect, it in TATE mode.

Its doing my head in, why is GameEx not loading the game like MAME.exe does?

I split this post and merged it for two reasons - first of all, you already opened a new thread on this topic for which someone had asked some questions that did not get answered. Second, you bumped an old thread (from 2008) that may or may not be related to your issue since the version of GameEx then is way older than current.

Please respond to Tempest's request and provide copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files while you are at it. If you need assistance with this, please go to the How to Ask for Help thread for instruction. Thank you.

Hi Beaps,

Something you mentioned in your other thread sparked an idea - you mentioned marquees while playing? This means your games are most likely using layout files (these are needed to display artwork elements in the correct position for each game) and if i'm not mistaken these layout files also include a set resolution for each game, thus overriding any settings you alter in respect to resolution/orientation.

So, ill give you 2 options to try (do either of these - both at the same time are not rquired):

1) Open MAME.ini (found in your mame directory) and find the Artwork section. Change it as per the following:

## CORE ARTWORK OPTIONS#artwork_crop              0use_backdrops             0use_overlays              0use_bezels                0use_cpanels               0use_marquees              0

2) Delete all artwork paths form GameEx MAME Settings apart from Snap/Video Snap/Title. This method is not ideal as you won't be able to see all the lovely artwork in the gameinfo screens.

I would go for option 1 for reasons specified - i only really gave you option 2 incase you have uncontrollable .iniphobia like some people do :P

• Like 1

I feel really dumb round about now, to much emu setting up going on my brain must of fried lol

I did a schoolboy error. I should of check mame outside first which I thought I did as the same was happening their. Turns out its a flaky build of mame I was using. I updated mame, rotated, then exited & it worked, it saved. Went into GEx selected a different game, rotated 90deg and exited, went back in it was rotated.. Yeeee Harrr!