All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

TurboGraphix CD - Where do you store the Track Files?

rtkiii

I have went and learned how to create TG16CD files and they test fine. But all the games have track01-trac##.wav files. The only different file-name is the cue file. So I ask how do you keep your roms in one location if the majority of the files are going to be named the same?

Thanks,

Rich

I would assume that you could 7-zip each image together with the tracks and use GameEx's ROMs In 7zip option for this.

• Like 1

The emulator I am using need to be ale to reference the ,cue file instead of a .zip.

That's what the ROMs In 7zip is designed to handle. You store your disc images in compressed format, then when GameEx runs them it unzips the contents prior to running them. If you know that the cue file will be named the same regardless of game, your command line should be a snap from that point.

There are a couple of other options here, but I like this one as much or even better than the other ones.

• Like 1

I'll give it a try. I do not see myself doing a ton to TB16CD games but there are a handful I missed out on as a kid.

Never messed with 7zip but I will next week...should be a slow week at work! :)

In my experience, Roms in 7Zip just means GameEx displays all the Roms (ending in 7zip) then extracts it when you decide what you want, and displays the 7zip contents. IE:

Contra.7z

- Contra (NTSC).rom

- Contra (PAL).rom

- Contra (BETA).rom

- etc.

If you were to use 7z for compressed images, you'll see the game title in your list.. then when you select the game, GameEx will extract it, then give you the extracted contents. You'll then have to manually select the .cue file to load.

Well not so much a doc, but it's not terribly difficult. Here's what you would do (just start with one game as a proof of concept):

First zip up the contents of one of your game. Make sure that the zip file doesn't extend to sub-directories (So when you double click the zip you see your files right there rather than another directory). Put that in your ROM directory, which would look like this assuming all goes to plan:

ROM DIRECTORY

• Game1.zip
  • Game2.zip
  • Etc.

Now in the Setup Wizard on the Advanced Emulator Setup screen you'll want to change the Zip/7-Zip/GoodMerge/RAR setting to Yes. Change your ROM filter to *.zip. Lastly you may need to alter your command line, so that it selects the proper file to load.

If you know for a fact that every cue file will be names the same the "dynamic" portion of your command line would look something like this (where filename.cue is the name of your cue file):

"[ROMPATH]\filename.cue"

If on the other hand your able to rename those cue files I would name each one the same as the parent ZIP directory so you could do this (which would be more robust):

"[ROMPATH]\[ROM].cue"

Bearing in mind that I don't run this particular system, I don't see why the above wouldn't work.

Also set your Rom filter to *.cue not *.zip unless you want to see everything in the archive, which you probably don't. :-)

When you enable that setting GameEx looks for an archive on its own, if you set it to zip it will look for zip files inside of the zip file.

Yea, I edited my post above.

I use this feature quite a bit, so it won't work if you set the filter to the archive extension as it will look for the extension inside the archive.

Well there ya go! Talking out my arse again! :ph34r: That makes your job either easier or harder rtkiii depending on your situation. If all your .cue files are named the same and you're locked into those names (i.e. the emulator doesn't let you change them), you may have to resort to something more exotic. OTOH, if you are able to rename the .cue files you'd want to rename them to match the associated game since that's the name that would show up in your list (hopefully using an established naming convention - but whatevs ;)).

They don't have to be renamed. GameEx will pass the file name you select regardless of the naming. Just using the ROMPath and ROMFile flags are good enough. :-)

Artwork is based on the archive name though so keep that in mind.

• Like 1

Ok so do I include everything in this .7z file? Cue, wav and iso file?

3 attempts were .7z file is names same as .cue file

1. I tried doing the above and placing in Rom folder. Enabled 7zip in GameEx advanced and set filter to .cue

File shows in my game list but never runs. I mean it will not execute if I hit enter.

2. Did the above and set filter to zip...same result.

3. Left .cue file outside(and inside 7zip) in rom folder and told filter .cue and behaves the same.

I even tried doing as a .rar and the zipped archive shows in the menus fine but now it just is not executing. I am using Mednafen as the emulator. I can test the files fineoutside of GameEx and if I remove the .rar/7zip option in GameEx the name zipped .cue files are working. So I think I am just missing something small...to me it seems like the command line mentioned earlier but I don't want to start jacking with that unless i know what I need to put in there.

I'll post a config for one of the emulators I use that feature for, but in the mean time if you could zip up your Medfaden config and post it I'd be happy to have a look at it.

My zip? Best thing you can do is go to the emulator setup, and select the export option on top. Then post the contents of that file on this forum. Then we can look at it and see whats going on here.