All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Spooky Games Suggestions

nullPointer

Agreed - it's a masterful piece of cinematography but i watched s01e02-4/5 and i got bored. I'm a bit of a zombie phreak, i love all that "my son is diseased, i love my son, should i risk getting diseased for my son? Oh i love my son" stuff, but i also get switched off when there is too many dramatics, and after 4/5 episodes, it seemed to me anyway that dramatics were the focus of this show. Don't get me wrong i like story backlogs and character building but you gotta have more tense moments! I may be totally wrong about this and should probably give it another shot, but don't open with such an amazing pilot, only to quiet down. Just saying.

You will need to slog through season 2 a bit as well, but there is a bit of action, some slowness, but the last half has some pretty F'd up moments and sets the stage for season 3. It was nice to see some characters that needed to die do so with some grace and some faves. At least nobody is totally safe in the stories with few exceptions and even then, are they really?

• 3 weeks later...

In keeping with the spirit of the thread, I figured I would point out that Steam kicked off their Halloween Sale today. There are quite a few games on sale that have been mentioned in this thread.

So has anyone else been playing spooky games and/or horror based games during the month of October?

As I mentioned before, I opted to kick off the month with the Walking Dead. It is a fantastic game you guys. It can feel a bit on rails at times, but the writing, storytelling, and world-building are some of the best I've ever seen in a game. If you manage to make it through the game without becoming emotionally attached to some of the characters, your heart is stonier than mine my friend ... and this is coming from a guy who very rarely has an emotional response to game characters. Aeris? I could really care less ... :P

So after finishing the Walking Dead I launched immediately into the 400 Days expansion for the game. And well ... it's not nearly as satisfying an experience as the core game, but it is entertaining for what it is. I'm guessing 400 Days serves as a bit of a prologue to the next "season" of episodic game content Telltale is planning for the Walking Dead. I wouldn't necessarily call this one a must play, but after finishing the first game I wasn't ready to walk away from the Walking Dead!

Most recently I've dived headlong into the first Bioshock game (I guess there's a bit of a pun to be had there ;)). This one's been on my backlog for quite a while and it seemed like a good a time to get a feel for the game. While it's not targeted as any sort of paranormal horror experience, it really nails a cool sci-fi / horror / dystopia vibe. This game has atmosphere for days! I've also been marveling at the masterful use of ambient and environmental noise in this game. It really keeps you on edge the whole time! Also I'm not much of an Ayn Rand fan, so this game really hits on all cylinders for me. Take that Objectivists! :P The world building is also fantastic here (possibly even better than the Walking Dead since Bioshock was starting from a blank canvas).

So that's my October game wrap up. I was a little light on retro titles ... but I'm definitely going to make some time for something in the Castlevania series. It's a Halloween tradition for me!

I haven't played too much this month, but I am looking forward to The Walking Dead First Season Game of the Year edition due out soon which will include all DLC including the 400 Days DLC. No release date as of yet but for about $30 will be well worth it for TWD fans.

Bioshock was really cool. I just finished playing the first one on my Xbox a little bit before Grand Theft Auto 5 came out. I really liked the old-timey music and noir feel the scenery took. Plus the occasional whine of a whale outside the windows was really neat. The next game in the series, as far as I know, also takes place in Rapture but the 3rd one is outside from the looks of it. Don't know if I'll like the 3rd on or not.

I'm totally with you, Bioshock really is a fantastic game. Having said that, I'm currently at the part of the game where you start using the research camera to level up your abilities, which can get a bit tedious at times.

I believe you're absolutely correct about the break down of the series. Bioshock 2 returns you to Rapture, whereas Bioshock: Infinite takes place in a completely different locale (although I believe at least one key character in that game is closely tied to the characters in the first game). Bioshock: Infinite actually does appeal to me quite a lot, but it appears to have a vastly different tone than that of the first two games. It looks like they've done away with the "horror-like" elements of the first game, but I do like where they seem to have gone with this "old-timey Americana gone horribly wrong" vibe in Infinite.

To be honest it was one of the very first trailers for Infinite that really piqued my curiosity. I'm a sucker for mockumentary crap like this: :)