All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Setup Wizard crashes

aikido2u

Hi aikido2u

A few of questions for you: Are you running the most recent version of GameEx? Is this for a newly installed version of GameEx, or had you already been running GameEx on this same machine without issue? And one last oddball question: does the version of your GameEx executable match the version of the Setup Wizard you're using (i.e. you're not mixing and matching executables are you)?

Does Windows produce an error when the application crashes? Do you get the standard Windows, "This application has stopped working ..." message or something similar to that?

Can you verify what OS you are using and to what path you are installing? GameEx functions best when installed to c:\GameEx as opposed to c:\Program Files (or c:\Program Files (x86) if using Win 7 or 8.

• Like 1

The only thing I can think of is to find the Setup Wizard executable, right-click on it then left click on Properties and set compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3 and run as Administrator for all users. I have Windows 7 x64 and run it without having to do this and have had no problems with the latest version regarding. You may want to also check Event Viewer to see more precisely what is occuring about the time of your application crashes as this is not normal and, to be honest, does not appear to be a GameEx issue proper.

This is the message I am getting from event viewer:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 9/19/2013 9:27:39 AM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Closet
Description:
Faulting application name: SetupWizard.exe, version: 1.0.4967.17013, time stamp: 0x520212eb
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x075fa8ed
Faulting process id: 0xf50
Faulting application start time: 0x01ceb5442d265072
Faulting application path: C:\GameEx\SetupWizard.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: a2861f8b-2137-11e3-b49f-003067dde540
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-09-19T14:27:39.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>10172</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Closet</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>SetupWizard.exe</Data>
<Data>1.0.4967.17013</Data>
<Data>520212eb</Data>
<Data>unknown</Data>
<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
<Data>00000000</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>075fa8ed</Data>
<Data>f50</Data>
<Data>01ceb5442d265072</Data>
<Data>C:\GameEx\SetupWizard.exe</Data>
<Data>unknown</Data>
<Data>a2861f8b-2137-11e3-b49f-003067dde540</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I have changed the compatibility to xp as suggested and ran as admin however the results are the same. The mode I have been using is Basic and it crashes after the Touch Screen option page.

Hi aikido2u

The bad news here is that Exception code: 0xc0000005 can be caused by any vast number of application or environmental issues. But ... one possibility is that the Setup Wizard is trying to write to a read-only file or directory. It might be worthwhile to verify that your GameEx installation directory and/or sub-directories have not been set to read-only. Likewise, please verify that your GameEx.ini has also not been set to read-only.

I have found a work around just using the custom option and selecting the items I need for setup. I did however have to uninstall and reinstall and after doing so and applying the key to get rid of the trial screen that however is not going away for some reason.

Now I'm starting to think you have multiple install paths. Do a search for gameex.exe in Windows and see if you don't have more than one installation.