All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

MAME Custom Art

Krakerman

Their is a custom path for 99% of every option you can make in GameEx, just keep scrolling through the Setup Wizard till you get to MAME and change the settings there. The entire Setup Wizard is a custom path GUI.

Where on that list do you see an option to put custom art if we wanted too like you can with setting up an emulator? Guess that was an option that didn't get implemented in the past as I thought it did, my bad then I'm just suprised since individual emulators can have a custom artwork paths but MAME doesn't.

Those paths are the common standard with MAME but what if we wanted to display some different art. See what I'm saying. Guess I'm more suprised I've never noticed it before but in the past I setup MAME as a seperate emulator and not thru GameEx default MAME settings and never noticed it.

You could use those paths but what if you wanted those plus additional artwork then it can't be done.

Where on that list do you see an option to put custom art if we wanted too like you can with setting up an emulator? Guess that was an option that didn't get implemented in the past as I thought it did, my bad then I'm just suprised since individual emulators can have a custom artwork paths but MAME doesn't.

Those paths are the common standard with MAME but what if we wanted to display some different art. See what I'm saying. Guess I'm more suprised I've never noticed it before but in the past I setup MAME as a seperate emulator and not thru GameEx default MAME settings and never noticed it.

You could use those paths but what if you wanted those plus additional artwork then it can't be done.

Well ya got me there, I guess if I was going to do custom art I would want my custom art to appear when I was scrolling threw so i would just replace my art files with the ones that where in the Snap Folder, but that's just me. Never notice before either.

The one problem with GameEx is when creating themes Image2 displays the marquee by default. So if you put a different image in there and you display the games info to show you the PCB Boards, Titles, and Marquees well then the Marquees are actually some other image and it screws everything up. So if GameEx changed it's default image2 folder to a custom art folder/files then that could solve that issue.

You are referring to the default MAME settings in GameEx. The option for custom art paths exists if you run MAME as a separate Emulator, however.

Sounds like you need to submit a Feature request. I think you or others have submitted similar in the past, but that is what will need to be done.

The one problem with GameEx is when creating themes Image2 displays the marquee by default. So if you put a different image in there and you display the games info to show you the PCB Boards, Titles, and Marquees well then the Marquees are actually some other image and it screws everything up. So if GameEx changed it's default image2 folder to a custom art folder/files then that could solve that issue.

If you look at my setting I posted you can see I swapped the folders for Marquee and Title because I wanted the Title to show up in image2 rather then the marquee, that was my simple work around. I mean when you go to look at all the art pieces in GameEX UI those to images are flipped, but all I care about it flipping threw the names quick, and now you see a snap and a title screen rather then snap and a marquee

I think one of the concerns the OP has is that the path descriptive names are not editable as well, so when you flip the paths to display a title instead of a marquee, you have to go to marquee after selecting the game to see title, but the listing will always show as Display Marquee.

Yes but you still have the issue if you want all that art plus additional art and Image2 defaults to showing the marquee it needs to have it's own defined setting art file for that. Yes Draco is correct it needs to be a feature request which I do think it has been mentioned before in the past however not sure if Tom is going to fix this in the current state as he's working on a newer GameEx engine that sounds like is totally different in the ways themes work. So will have to wait and see.