All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Problem with GameEx and controllers

SparkyJ

Hi,

I've been having a problem with GameEx for some time now. It used to work fine, but for the past few years, I can't use it properly.

The problem is whenever I launch GameEx with a USB controller plugged in, it constantly makes the sound of Windows detecting a new device, and then Windows detecting the device being removed over and over and over and over. I have used an Xbox 360 wireless receiver with wireless controller and a wired Xbox 360 USB controller - it happens with both.

I have tried changing the setting to "All detected devices" or the specific device. I've reinstalled Windows, GameEx, you name it.

The controllers work just fine with the emulators separately. But when GameEx launches the emulators, the games are unplayable, because it keeps detecting the controllers being added and removed repeatedly in the background, sound included.

Really frustrating because GameEx worked just fine with my setup for years until about two years ago. Didn't see this problem anywhere else in the forums.

I'm currently running Windows XP sp3 on my rig.

Can anyone help?

log.txt

GameEx.ini

Unfortunately, the log.txt doesn't show anything of use for this issue. If you wouldn't mind, please review and follow the instructions for obtaining the results for "Run Last Game or Runitgame.bat" found here after attempting to run a game through one of the affected emulators and post in reply to this thread. That may give us more to work with in trying to resolve your errors.

Funny that he said that I noticed the sound on my system a few weeks back but never experienced any issues just the sound like a usb device was plugged in never did look to see what was going on

@Krakerman - Per the OP

... It used to work fine, but for the past few years, I can't use it properly...

A few years with issues is WAY too long for me to comprehend. While the issue may be when accessing the emulators via GameEx, there are so many OS and Program updates that could have broken a dependency for GameEx that it may not be so easily remedied.

@SparkyJ - I would recommend backing up your GameEx directory, then deleting it and reinstalling GameEx from download. You can replace the GameEx.ini filefrom your original install into the newly created directory to preserve your settings. I also recommend uninstalling and reinstalling your .net libraries and DirectX. As I noted in my response above, a few years is really too long to allow things to fester on a system and, ultimately, you may have a reimage of your OS if the above "shotgun" approach does not resolve things for you.

Regarding the few years part, I'm a dad and have two small kids. Getting the emulation back up and running was kind of at the bottom of my list. But now my son is 4, so it is time to introduce him to the classics.

@Draco, thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try. To be clear, I just did a fresh OS install and wiped the drives. Then did a re-install of GameEx. I'll try it again though, really want this to work.