All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Updating from 8.09 to Current Version

steveb

Hi

I'm thinking of upgrading from 8.09 to the current version. I am using Windows XP (SP3) and have 760mb RAM installed (but have more I can install if necessary). Can anyone please advise if I am likely to have any problems installing such a big leap in versions, and if my hardware will be likely to run it easily? I didn't install the 8.09 myself and am worried I'll have problems getting it running again if I run into problems trying to upgrade.

Any advice appreciated!

Create a restore point, install and try, but tbh I cant see any reason why it shouldn't work.

Backup your whole GameEx folder, so that you can easly restore your previous installation in case something goes wrong.

The amount of RAM you use is barely enough, in my opinion. Considering how cheap RAM is these days, you can think of upgrading your system with 2 GB....

I agree with both suggestions. GameEx "SHOULD" be an easy upgrade, but since you're so far behind it might break some things. If you know what you're doing and can access the setup program, it might not be a bad idea to write down your settings, like your path to roms, command lines, etc. That way if you absolutely hose it, you can start from scratch with a good idea how things should work. For the most part though, I'd make a copy of the GameEx folder so you can put it all back the way it was if something gets screwed up. You should be safe though. A restore point wouldn't hurt either, especially if you have a registered copy, so it can save your key. That's something else you may need. If you're registered, Tom may have to generate a new key for you as the later versions use a different way to register. I had to do that when I reinstalled. But an upgrade shouldn't be any hassle.

• Like 1