All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Wheel Underlay Images

Awesome! Will be good to have the variety available to the community. Next venture - textured! Would be cool to have system specific underlay's with the various logos in an etched or engraved effect on the image center or maybe in a repeating pattern (i.e. Pinball FX2 logo, Vpinball, Future Pinball, Pinball Arcade, etc.

• Like 1

A selection of Underlay Images to suit 1920x1080 Desktop Screens

For those who have not followed the thread above, please understand PinballX contains a hard top limit as to where it positions the underlay image file on screen.

In desktop mode, this limit presently sits too close to the height of the path that the wheel images follow.

For this reason, these arches have been designed as a "baseline path" to follow, rather than a "background path".

So when you see your table wheel images overhanging the top of the arch, that is intentional (and unavoidable with PinballX's present code).

Cheers, Rusty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1080 Pixel underlays for Cabinets can be downloaded HERE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Underlay Images 1920 Desktop.zip

Awesome! Will be good to have the variety available to the community. Next venture - textured! Would be cool to have system specific underlay's with the various logos in an etched or engraved effect on the image center or maybe in a repeating pattern (i.e. Pinball FX2 logo, Vpinball, Future Pinball, Pinball Arcade, etc.

Yup, that should be no problem.

This is a pretty crappy sample (I spent all of about 5 seconds on it), but it will give people an idea of where we are headed...

undelay1920_DARKFIRE_SHADED2_PHYSMOD.png.zip

OK Rusty, I approved the files in the Downloads section. Thanks again for your hard work and allowing me to test with you to find that "sweet spot" for 1920X1080 desktop underlays. I am looking forward to future collaborations!

OK Rusty, I approved the files in the Downloads section. Thanks again for your hard work and allowing me to test with you to find that "sweet spot" for 1920X1080 desktop underlays. I am looking forward to future collaborations!

No, thank you for all your testing and thanks to the PBX team for all the effort that goes into what is a fantastic front end. My cabinet wouldn't be what it is without PBX.

I look forward to making some new bits and pieces, but that will have to wait for a month, as I have a cruise ship waiting to take me to Hawaii. :) (geez I hope they have pinball on board!! lol)

]I was tinkering with GIMP's bump map filter and came up with this for my display for Pinball FX2. It isn't as pretty as the one you demoed as the logo image is very busy.

post-5872-0-67431600-1429046943_thumb.pn

Here it is in action.

post-5872-0-07522800-1429047121_thumb.pn

• 2 months later...

A little patriotic desktop (horizontal) goodness for 1920x1080 desktop displays - enjoy!

post-5872-0-58166500-1435944811_thumb.pn

Find this on the PinballX FTP at /-PinballX-/Media/System Underlays Desktop

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A few more underlay images for both cabinet and desktop orientations sporting the new PinballX logo centered.

post-5872-0-80540600-1439511725_thumb.pn

post-5872-0-70814400-1439511726_thumb.pn

Uploaded as underlay_blue_new_logo.zip to the FTP under /-PinballX-/Media/Images/Overlay and Underlay - enjoy!

• Like 2

i have changed name to the system name but it is not working. how do u get these to work and were do u put the images.

These are great! Still not working with the system name for me, please tell me what folder they need to go in?

Very nice work and idea :D

These are great! Still not working with the system name for me, please tell me what folder they need to go in?

Very nice work and idea :D

Copy them using the system name to C:\PinballX\Media\Images if you have PinballX installed at the root of your C:\ drive

Thanks, I had the right folder but always helps to spell the system filename right ..thanks again, works fine now :)

I'm having trouble with this systemname scheme. could someone post an example?

It's quite simple really. Depending on whether you are running in portrait or desktop (horizontal) layout, your underlay file should be named either underlay.png or underlay_horiz.png respectively. These files will be located under C:\PinballX\Media\Images .

It's quite simple really. Depending on whether you are running in portrait or desktop (horizontal) layout, your underlay file should be named either underlay.png or underlay_horiz.png respectively. These files will be located under C:\PinballX\Media\Images .

Draco thanks for the quick reply. I have watched randr videos and he seems to have the underlay changing wheel colors depending on a criteria...say night mods, phys mods, gold editions..etc... is there a simple way to go about changing the wheel depending on which table is currently selected?

Based upon the submissions in this post (same thread), you should be able to create a custom underlay for each system that you have an .xml setup to filter the systems. For example, if you have a Pinball FX2.xml to separate filter for only Pinball FX2 tables, you would likely have to have a file named Pinball FX2_underlay.png (or possibly Pinball FX2_underlay_horiz.png for desktop orientation).

I am still new to PinballX and have not used this feature. If anyone has and can explain how the files should be named and where they are placed, that would help several of us out here!

Based upon the submissions in this post (same thread), you should be able to create a custom underlay for each system that you have an .xml setup to filter the systems. For example, if you have a Pinball FX2.xml to separate filter for only Pinball FX2 tables, you would likely have to have a file named Pinball FX2_underlay.png (or possibly Pinball FX2_underlay_horiz.png for desktop orientation).

I am still new to PinballX and have not used this feature. If anyone has and can explain how the files should be named and where they are placed, that would help several of us out here!

Yeah that is how i read things too. Perhaps i was missing the underscore between the system name and the file name. I will give that a try tonight. Cheers

OK, I figured it out. Name the file you will be using for your underlay for the specific system you want to be displayed. Using Pinball FX2 as an example, you would name the underlay file Pinball FX2.png. You would then place this file in either the C:\PinballX\Media\System Underlays or C:\PinballX\Media\System Underlays Desktop (depending on the orientation of your display).

I have my Pinball FX2 tables in one master (pinball fx2.xml) as well as separated iby subcategories (Pinball FX2 - Marvel Pinball.xml, Pinball FX2 - Star Wars Pinball.xml, etc.) but I am unable to invoke an underlay to display that is unique to each. My guess is that is something that would require an enhancement request in order to drill down to collections within a system. But at least I was able to sort how to do this by system. I am hoping I may be wrong and someone may chime in with a solution.

• Like 1

I thought I had this working before ..now its working like I wanted.

One of the additional systems I added is called Visual Pinball PM5 and now I have a gold underlay for that, and a red underlay for the VP 9.9 tables, now working perfect! Thanks :D

• Like 1

OK, I figured it out. Name the file you will be using for your underlay for the specific system you want to be displayed. Using Pinball FX2 as an example, you would name the underlay file Pinball FX2.png. You would then place this file in either the C:\PinballX\Media\System Underlays or C:\PinballX\Media\System Underlays Desktop (depending on the orientation of your display).

I have my Pinball FX2 tables in one master (pinball fx2.xml) as well as separated iby subcategories (Pinball FX2 - Marvel Pinball.xml, Pinball FX2 - Star Wars Pinball.xml, etc.) but I am unable to invoke an underlay to display that is unique to each. My guess is that is something that would require an enhancement request in order to drill down to collections within a system. But at least I was able to sort how to do this by system. I am hoping I may be wrong and someone may chime in with a solution.

Draco, this was very helpfull and I was able to replicate your findings. Its the specific folders that are making the difference here, previous notes seemed to indicate to place the system named .png files into the images folder.. Lurker's comments have also been helpfull, in confirming the second part of your reply. I was hoping I didn't have to create different system configs to enable a different underlay for say a nightmods category or say a physmod category. It seems however thats how it works. Thanks guys for your friendly replies. cheers

• 4 years later...