All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

No computer for awhile

hansolo77

Man am I PISSED.

The replacement hard drive arrived today. It was DOA. After spending nearly an hour walking (driver's license expired and the car isn't here) to the local hardware store to buy a screw driver (I needed a +6 inch to reach in my case, the fire claimed my old one) and take the old drive out of my computer, the new drive doesn't work at all. I plugged it in, powered up, and nothing happened. I put the drive up to my ear and it didn't even power on. I checked the cables, replugged it in again, then it 'sorta' worked. The drive spins up, clicks and clacks a few times, then spins down again before the BIOS even begins detecting the IDE devices. I hit [DELETE] to go into the BIOS, but it doesn't detect the drive no matter what I do. I'm furious. The packaging may be to blame, but it could have been dead before it shipped to me. The company that sold it was a 3rd party of Amazon, so right there is cause for concern. The drive wasn't packaged in the original box they come in, rather it was put in a box it wasn't designed for. The box was made to accommodate the drive by scrunching up bubble wrap in the sides of the box. There was no top or bottom support, just side support, and the drive could easily bounce up and down in the box. After that, they wrapped the BOX in 2 layers of bubble wrap then slid the whole thing inside a USPS bubble bag. They may have thought they were doing good with all the bubble wrap, but without the top/bottom support they really accomplished NOTHING. All the extra bubble wrap did was make the shipment heavier than it really was. All they had to do, if they wanted to use bubble wrap, was wrap the DRIVE, not the box, then stick the label on the box. I started a claim with Amazon, but was immediately told they would not contact the seller on my behalf until AFTER the estimated delivery dates of July 10th-15th. So I have to wait another whole week before the claim process is even started, let alone getting me a replacement. This is outrageous.

Ive had nothing but good luck with 3rd pay support on Amazon, so far. :)

Sorry to hear your experience wasn't so great... I usually don't turn to Amazon for such things unless NewEgg absolutely had no alternatives or was indefinitely out of stock on the item I needed.

Yeah I've just about had enough with Amazon's 3rd parties. I bought a book from somebody there. After 3 months the status still showed it hadn't shipped. The company took my money, never shipped the item. Amazon said their was no record of the transaction on their system, and that it was still pending. However they cancelled the order after I attempted to contact the seller 3 times about it. I never got my money back, because Amazon had no proof the transaction charged. It was only $3 bucks. But still... With this case, I made a really nice long complaint and Amazon DID in fact forward it to the seller for me today. I got home from work and there was a nice email waiting for me, telling me to ship it back in the same box they sent it in, with the same bubble wrap, and they would refund me upon arrival. I'm not sure I trust that. They also want ME to pay for shipping, and they'll include that as part of the refund. I'm pretty sure Amazon offers free returns. Gonna have to read a bit about it. I'm just so upset that Amazon continues to provide 3rd parties even though so many people have problems with them. This is 2 for 2 for me. I'm never buying from another 3rd party from them again. Amazon direct is great though, truly recommend them. I only bought this drive from here because it was a 500gb for $49.99 with free shipping, while local stores wanted $79.99 for the same thing, and online stores like Newegg/TigerDirect wanted about the same thing with $10 or whatever shipping. Oh well, guess I'll just continue to wait.