All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PS button as GameEX home screen?

RIP-Felix

I use the Motioninjoy software to utilize my PS3 controller for PC use (awesome BTW). However there is always the PS button that goes unassigned in the games. I was hoping I could use it to trigger GameEX to regain focus without exiting my game. I've seen this happen before where you can resume your game, navigate to another, just check the GameEx interface, or whatever. Basically I want GameEx to be like the PS3 home screen that comes up over the game, and back to the game when the PS button is pressed again.

Can it be done? If not, feature request?

FYI ... With Pinnacle Game Profiler I can use my Razer Onza TE or any XBOX 360 controllers Guide button to exit back to GameEx. PGP supports the XBOX 360 guide button which you can assign any key to. One more reason why I like PGP!! I think it also supports the PS3 button as well. ;)

The In Game Key is actually a half step towards what you're describing here, but it's important to note that some emulators don't like being "walked over" in this fashion.

This is the virtual key code that when pressed will display the in game menu when playing a game. So you can do things such as view the manual and control panel. NOTE: It will not work with all emulators and systems.

I found the key needed. The L key on the keyboard will display the in game menu. It does allow you to resume the game, or exit, view other information about the game, and create a video of the game. I have noticed that it sometimes only displays black when resuming the game until tried again. I've only tried it in PCSX2 so far and it seems to work ok. So all I need now is to assign the PS button to L with Xpadder.

I'll see if it will mess with my other emulators, such as ePSXe which I have a complicated setup for. If it works there it will work anywhere, maybe... Well it disrupts the screen behavior, goes black. That won't do.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to find another use for the PS button. Any ideas?

For those that have Pinnacle Game Profiler I asked the programmer if it's possible to assign any key to the XBOX360 guide button then when you press it again have it send a different key and he replied YES!!! So it is possible to make the guide button Launch a emulator then press it again to return to GameEx!! (You can even change the LED colors too!!)

Here is what he said:

Yea, you could do that... first I will say that the GUIDE button behaves just like any other button in Pinnacle Game Profiler. So you could do this with any button on the controller.

First you would assign a "shift-mode button", and then you'll likely want to assign the "sticky button" behavior (otherwise you have to keep the button held to remain in the shift-mode). You can also assign a command to a "shift-mode button", so you can assign ESC in your unshifted layout, and then assign ENTER in your shifted layout.

A setup like that would make it so that pressing the button once would send the ESC key and move to the shifted layout, thus pressing it again would send the ENTER key that you assigned in the shifted layout and that would also "un-stick" the shift-mode button to return to the unshifted state.

PGP is awesome!! :D