All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Use relative paths?

helpman

Hi there!

I want to use gameex along with all the emulators, roms and everything I need on a external usb hard drive, so I can just plug it on any of my computers and start playing :D

Question is: as the drive letter may be different from one computer to another, is there any way to make gameex use relativa paths or something to make it portable?

I mean, instead of use something like D:\games\gameex\emulator\mame\roms use something like .\emulator\mame\roms

thanks!

You will likely need to use an unregistered copy of GameEx for this purpose, since the registered version of GameEx relies on settings within the registry.

Switch that - reverse it?

You will likely need to use an unregistered copy of GameEx for this purpose, since the registered version of GameEx relies on settings within the registry.

Switch that - reverse it?

Perhaps I should clarify. In order to run a portable copy of GameEx with registered features, the appropriate registry settings would need to exist on the target PC prior to running GameEx. So were that the case it would be fine with registered features, but not truly "portable" either.

Don't get me wrong, the thought crossed my mind that you could run the regedit as an autoexec.bat from the USB drive, but I believe autoexec.bat from USB is disabled on most (all?) Windows installations for security purposes. I'm also quite certain you would be operating in a very gray area in terms of the GameEx license agreement.

So what I should have said was that, "If you want to make GameEx truly portable, I hope you're OK with strictly using the free (as in not registered) features of the program." :)

Gotcha and I had to reread the OPs original post. I was taking it from the point of an instance of GameEx installed on each device and the paths relative to the attached storage (portable external drive, NAS, etc). Reading is fundamental, eh? I got the mental covered.. :P

Well, I just wanted to have it all neat and tidy on a hard drive so I can switch computers.

Just to clarify, I have it registered and running on my desktop pc, but my old laptop is going to die soon. At least the screen, which now flickers like mad and shows weird colored vertical lines.

I was planning to move everything into the portable hard drive hoping someday I'll manage to build a complete arcade cabinet using my old laptop as core, yet being able to get everything, plug it on my desktop pc and keep playing if I want to...

For now I ordered some buttons to fix and old arcade control panel and use it as it deserves, and I'll try to get a spare computer monitor or something like that. Then I just need to scrap some old computer speakers and I'll have everything I need, just with standard connectors, vga, usb joystick and audio jack for the speakers. Then just learn how to make a cabinet and cut straigh lines LOL and there I go! :D

This is me with my desktop computer

47928696-5301-46C9-ABCF-7B223F06039C-219

The old control panel wired to a gamepad, but without enough buttons the yellow ones are linked.

Now I ordered a usb to arcade controller (2 joysticks, 22 buttons) and some new buttons, so I can have 1-2 player button, 2 joystick, 6 buttons per player, 4 side buttons for pinballs (flipper/bump) and 4 front buttons for service or whatever (coin, menu, frontal pinball bump, maybe exit... still unsure about those)

I just can't wait for it :D :D :D (now I hope I won't crack the lexan cover of the controls... I'll guess I'll use the metal drill at low speed just in case...