All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Duplicated games on mame list

Evilforces

Hi all!

From the last two versions of GameEx when I do an update on my list of games I get a list with duplicate games (not clean list).

I have the clone filter enabled as always and also the clean list filter but I get no results. In addition, GameEx now takes a long time every time I update the list of games.

As I say, this is happening to me for two versions about.

Any suggestions?

Hi, I looked at your settings and I think there is a minor bug in GameEx because there is no filter text. If you add some random text to the filter I think it will resolve itself. If the remove duplicates settings was not enabled what you have would be expected but I think its s little bug in GameEx. If the random text does not fix it try setting remove duplicates to auto. I will fix the issue for a future release. You will need to update the list, obviously.

Hi Evilforces,

Try adding some text in the Game Filter section of MAME setup. In your GameEx.ini there is no entry for the Game Filter:

[General]
Xresolution=1024
Yresolution=768
DisplayOnSecondary=False
MAMEPath=I:\Mame
MAMEEXE=MameUI64.exe
ROMPath=I:\Mame\roms
StartWait=False
USeAdvanceMame=False
AdvanceMAMEEXE=advmame.exe
AdvanceMAMEPATH=C:\Emulators\AdvanceMAME
ADVANCEMAMEOptions=-device_video_output fullscreen -quiet -dir_rom "C:\Emulators\Mame32\roms"
UseZinc=False
ZincEXE=zinc.exe
ZincPATH=C:\Emulators\ZiNc
ZincOptions=--renderer=.\renderer.znc
Font=Arial
TitleText=MAME Games
OnlyWorking=True
AllowImperfect=True
VerifyRoms=True
OnlyRoms=True
NoGameInfo=True
GameFilter=<ADD SOME RANDOM TEXT HERE>
GameFilterOn=True
NoAdult=False
NoClones=True

On a default installation GE has some basic filters already assigned, however it appears yours is blank which may be causing the little glitch Tom mentioned :)

Either manually edit your gameex.ini and file>save or use the setup wizard. it is in the "Advance MAME" section below main MAME settings.

And as mentioned - don't forget to update list afterwards ;)

Edited by DazzleHP
  • Like 1

Did you add the random text via Setup WIzard or directly to the gameex.ini file? If not directly to the gameex.ini file, please try that and report back. In the mean time, please upload a fresh copy of your log.txt file and gameex.ini for us to review. Thanks!

Up above Tom suggested setting Remove Duplicates to Auto in your MAME settings. It looks like you've still got it set to Yes. That's probably worth a shot. Other than that, Tom did mention it would be fixed for the next release. It might be something that requires waiting for the bug fix. Hopefully that Auto setting puts you on the right track though. :)

Updatet to the latest version... but not solved the problem... Can i return to a old version of GameEx to have a clear list? is very difficult to find a game with a no clear list :-(

When i update the list, all the process is very fast but when Gameex is on "adding series to gamelist" it takes about 20 minutes to pass this fase.

Before the bug my game list was about 2000 games. Now with duplicates i have 10.000 games. Is not confortable to see this list... :-(

Hi Evilforces,

Sorry you're still having this issue. I'm still wondering whether it has something to do with the following block of text in your log:

23:05:31.5 03/02/2013: Índice fuera de los límites de la matriz.
23:05:31.6 03/02/2013: en GameEx.GameEx.mainform.dl()
23:05:31.6 03/02/2013: ERROR: Could Not process verify.dat. Check your MAME version supports -verifysets. Are you using MAME Plus? (mamep/mame32p.exe)
23:05:31.6 03/02/2013: Trying MAME Plus version of Verify Sets
23:05:31.6 03/02/2013: Running: I: I:\Mame\MameUI64.exe -verifysets -rompath "I:\Mame\roms" > I:\Mame\verify.dat
23:05:31.7 03/02/2013: Opening Verify.dat
23:05:32.7 03/02/2013: Processing Verify.dat
23:05:32.7 03/02/2013: Índice fuera de los límites de la matriz.
23:05:32.7 03/02/2013: en GameEx.GameEx.mainform.dl()
23:05:32.7 03/02/2013: ERROR: Could Not process verify.dat MAME Plus version either
23:05:32.7 03/02/2013: Total verifyable roms: 23002

This may or may not be the cause of your issue, but it's never good to have errors like this in your log. It might be worth seeing if you can get that error resolved, as it may be contributing to your issue.

Hello again.

Unfortunately i continue with the problem of having a dirty list with duplicates and triplicates games. I don't know how to solve the problem. I tried everything you told me and it did not work at all.

I wanted to mention that for a couple of versions I've seen something rare on Mame list of GameEx.

Before when I entered the MAME section I saw a list of the type (vertical games, horizonaltes games, adult games, golden era, etc ...) and at the end of a whole menu the section "update games list."

Now I see that after all the filters of games that I mentioned earlier, I have also filters to see all games for all mame versions and filters of the category or type I.E.: (car games, airplane games, etc. ..) It's as if it appeared the catver or catlist file on the list of MAME games.

This not previously appeared in this way, especially not had a filter to enter games of the different MAME versions. The list is endless now up to the section on "update game list."

I guess this will not be the cause of my duplicated games list, but I wanted to comment on whether it is also a problem, because as I say, I appeared before this.

I hope Tom can find the cause of the problem and can return to a clean list of my MAME games soon.

Thanks and regards.

Hi Evilforces

I'm sorry to hear that this continues to be a problem for you. Have you tried a fresh installation of GameEx downloaded from the website? I'd definitely give that a try.

If it's not too much trouble would you mind posting an updated version of you GameEx.ini and your log? (It might be helpful to post a copy of your log after attempting to update your game list).

Thanks Evilforces!

Actually with the settings you have in that last ini I would expect to see what you have. You have remove duplicates to auto, so with the settings you have this will be off.. Change this to yes. Get rid of only existing roms and get rid of no clones unless better. I am pretty sure these are acting as overrides. They are not in fact duplicates as such. If you turn off remove text in brackets you will see. I have not tested the no clones unless better for quite a while so that alone is probably causing issues.