All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Project64 Graphics Issue

retrogamer32

So I installed Project64 and I was playing around with the graphics settings to
see if I could get a higher quality image and I ended up messing up the image.
Under the "Graphics Configuration" tab I have the default:

Window resolution 640x480

Full Screen Resolution 640x480 16-bit 60Hz

Anisotrophic filtering = OFF

Full Screen Antialiasing = OFF

Brightness100%

Super2xSaltextiles = OFF

Alwaysuse texture filter = OFF

-->InAdvanced setting i have NO boxed checked

I have no idea what I did or how to fix this. If I am unable to fix this is there
any way to uninstall project64 (without uninstalling GameEx), then reinstalling
Project64, hopefully restoring it back to its original graphics settings.
Thanks for the help!

Here is what it looks like

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92613012@N06/8414463937/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92613012@N06/8414463057/in/photostream

No folder under programs. I installed Project64 through GameEx set-up wizard if that makes a difference. I also tried going to "My Computer" --> Local Disk (C:) --> Emulaters --> and deleting the project64 folder. Then i went back into GameEx set-up wizard and re-installed project64 and its still stuck in this strange graphics setting.

Project64 Plugin settings are stored in the Windows registry, so I'm afraid simply removing Project64 won't get rid of those bunk settings. (That's also why if you use the same plugin for different emulators - say 1964 - your settings will actually carry over to the other emulator too).

The following information is taken directly from the Project64 1.6 help documentation (here's an installation,
Project64 does not have an install program. It thus logically also doesn't have
an uninstall program (there is no entry in Windows Add/Remove programs). The
authors preferred a simple 'hands on' approach and we hope you will find it
satisfying to be in control of your own system.

The following instructions will completely remove all traces of Project64
from your system, in case you ever wish to do this (although they shouldn't do
any harm if not removed).

You may wish to read backing up before you begin.

Project64 does not scatter files around your system. The only files it
creates are those in its own folder, and the folders you define - there are no
files added to your system folders or ROM folders, for example.

You will find the following files the \Uninstall folder of your Project64
folder.

• remove Project64 application settings.reg
  • remove Project64 plugins settings.reg
  • remove all Project64 settings.reg

The last files is the one you want to run to get rid of all the registry
settings of Project64. Note than any entries made by 3rd party plugins will not
be removed by these files - please consult relevant plugin documentation.

Note that these files do NOT delete your Project64 folder on your hard drive,
ONLY the Project64 registry entries. You can delete your Project64 folder with
your delete key.

The .reg files have been tested and should pose no risk to your system but
backing up your Windows registry is general good practice. I and the Project64
team are not responsible for any harm that results from your use or incorrect
use of these files.

Instructions to completely uninstall Project64:

1. Exit Project64
  2. Backup anything you want saved
  3. Double click "remove all Project64 settings.reg"
  4. You will be asked "Are you sure you want to add the information in ... to
    the registry?"
  5. You must answer "Yes"
  6. You will be told "Information in ... has been successfully entered into the
    registry."
  7. Remove any 3rd party plugins you installed as per their instructions
  8. Remove any shortcuts you have to Project64 (Start menu etc.)
  9. Delete your root Project64 folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\pj64) and you're
    done.

You may need to restart your system for the file associations to clear (if
you were using Shell Integration)

A re-installation of Project64 is just the same as an uninstallation, except
that you carry out a standard Install
afterwards.

Maybe the above can help to get you back on the right track. Good luck man!

Sorry retrogamer32, I discovered that information while I was away from my emulation rig. Now that I've had a chance to have a look around my own Project64 files, my installation also doesn't have that directory ... and the help documentation is dated April 1st 2005. So yeah, that information is a bit out of date to say the least. Even if you were able to locate those files, I'm not sure I'd recommend running them being as the Project64 registry settings from 2005 are almost certainly not the same settings in use today.

Sorry man! I'll keep looking around to see what I can find.

Yea Project64 folder does not show up in the start menu for me. I "installed" project64 via GameEx, if that changes anything. When i go to "My Computer" --> "C:Drive" --> Emulaters --> Project46, i dont see an uninstall icon of any kind. I'm thinking one of two things.

1. Download Project64 from any site, intsall it, and hopfuly it will add then uninstall button like the picture above.

(or)

2. In Project64, when i go "options" --> "Settings" --> then i select "Jabo's Direct3D8 1.5.2" instead of the default "Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6" the problem is gone, but the graphics arn't nearly as good.

When i made the changes to the graphics, it was under the "Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6" setting. Everytime i select "Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6" setting the problem returns. Is there another graphics setting or plugin upgarde that is better then "Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6"?

Whoa, yeah no need to get too drastic there! Sorry I hadn't had a chance to check this thread for a little while. Here's what that uninstall Project64 item in the start menu points at:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe /x {9559F7CA-5E34-4237-A2D9-D856464AD727}

Theoretically you could run that command from the command line and have it work (but this assumes that our operating systems are similar or the same - I'm running Win7 x64). At first I wasn't sure if that registry key would be the same, but this site seems to provide evidence that it is. It's worth a shot man, but only if our operating systems are pretty much the same.

Do the following steps:

• Open your start menu
  • Type Create a restore point into the search box
  • Click the corresponding search result
  • Click the Create button
  • Wait for that to finish
  • Open your start menu again
  • Type cmd into the search box
  • Right click cmd.exe and click Run as Administrator (At least I'm pretty sure you need to do this since it will be removing items from the Registry)
  • Paste the following command at the command prompt (you can't use ctrl+v you need to right click and select Paste):
  • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe /x {9559F7CA-5E34-4237-A2D9-D856464AD727}
  • Wait for that to complete

Now your Project64 registry settings should all be gone (hopefully). At this point you can simply remove the Project64 folder, or theoretically you can run it again and have a fresh start.

If anything goes wrong, that restore point should be able to restore your registry back to its prior state. Give a holler if you need or want a refresher on reverting to a prior restore point.

Good luck man!

Ok I did everything...once I copy and paste it in. Then a menu comes up that says would you like to uninstall this program. I selected yes. Then a notification comes up that says "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed".

I'm thinking that when I installed Project64 via GameEx set-up wizard it placed all of the Project64 files in a different place then it would if I had downloaded and installed Project64 from an external site. The only reason I say this is....

1.) I tried downloading Project64 from an external site and then uninstalling itand it did not affect the graphics problem I have now

2.) I tried to erase the registry and it says the program isn’t even installed, but i know it is.

Maybe that is the method how to uninstall the "non-gameEx" project64 version, if you know what I’m saying. I don't know...thats just my guess

Man, in terms of uninstalling Project64, I'm straight up out of ideas. So let's back up a few steps here.

Are the graphical issues you're experiencing strictly related to Goldeneye? (I noticed that those were the only images you posted) Project64 has some issues running Goldeneye, notably the whole 'black-sky' effect you're seeing in the first level (at least 1.6 does which is basically all I can vouch for in terms of Project64). Have you tried running it through 1964? Goldeneye runs more or less flawlessly through 1964. For reference, this is an excellent guide detailing recommended emulators and settings for N64 games. I basically use it as my N64 emulation gospel. It's worth a read through if you've never looked at it before.

• 2 weeks later...