All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx not smooth on Quad 2.6Ghz

JmJ17

My PC:

Intel Quad 2.6GHz

4Gb RAM

Nvidia GT 240

Windows 7 64 bits

My GameEx doesn't run smooth and I've disable every effect, sound, video...

The movement around lines in menus is slow and with lag.

What is more: If i launch MAME with it, the game freeze for a moment each 3 o 4 seconds. If I run MAME with the same configuration but without been launched from GameEx, it runs perfect.

I think that this PC should run GameEx perfectly, isn't it?

Yes, it should run like silk. Please post your log. Although your Ram is a little low for windows 7 64 bit. In addition to all the points mentioned please check task manager to see how much free RAM you have. It sounds like you may be low. This might be due to some other rogue or unneeded applications or processes running.

Hi JmJ17 and welcome to the GameEx forums!

Sorry for your difficulties. Yeah, I'd agree that GameEx should run smoothly on that machine. GameEx is typically not exceedingly demanding for modern systems such as yours. It will likely provide some benefit for the purposes of troubleshooting if you post your GameEx log after having encountered these difficulties, and a copy of your GameEx config. Here's a thread explaining how to do that.

Now for a couple of standard questions to help us get a handle on your situation. Are your system drivers up to date? It will likely be beneficial to verify that your Nvidia video drivers are up to date for your card as well as any sound drivers.

Are you using any non-standard codecs on your machine? Several GameEx users have experienced great success with the Shark007 codec pack. It comes highly recommended by most of our 'Power-Users'. If you install these codecs please be sure to follow the instructions carefully (primarily install the 32bit pack followed by the 64bit components in that order).

Thanks man! We'll take a look at that information and hopefully we can get you up and running in a collaborative fashion.

I am running Windows 7 x64 on a Dell Q6600 (Quad Core @ 2.40GHz), 8 GB RAM, nVidia GT 440 1 GB GPU and everything runs fairly smooth. I have to agree with both Tom and nullpointer regarding providing your gameex.ini and log.txt files so we can take a look. Also, there is likely some other processes running at startup and/or running in the background that are contributing to the lag you are encountering.

In regard to the smoothness of GameEx itself, it really should be running at full frame rate perfectly vsynced on a system like that rather than "fairly smooth" and at the same time using less than 5% cpu. It sounds like GameEx and MAME may be slowing down due to some paging occurring on the disk rather than CPU and this is likely a RAM issue.

• Like 1

Mine runs fairly smooth on average because my system is not dedicated (yet) and I have a few processes I have to disable to get it to "slick as goose poop" status. :P

With 4GB RAM you are probably righ about pagingt. Disk speed is another consideration that is often overlooked and can also impact paging.

My actual settings are "crazy" because I've tried to deactivate everything I could. I will configure as I think (I'm a experimented GameEx user) it should works fine, and then I will post the files.

It is strange that all emulators (including Demul) runs fine if they are launched from EmuLoader or Hyperspin.

What is more, I'm running GameEx with the same configuration in a Mac Mini Dual Core with 4 Gb too, and in a i5 with 16 Gb at full speed both with w7, and runs perfectly. The only issue is with the PC described. I've tried a fresh new installation too.

You may want to go to the nVidia site and download/install the latest drivers for your video card (the ones from Windows are not necessarily always the latest or greatest for some reason) and see if that helps any. I am assuming that it is a stand-alone graphics adapter and not integrated. While integrated is OK on more modern systems such as yours, there can still be some issues as the integrated GPUs will still share RAM with the CPU.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd try Tom's suggestion of viewing the available memory while GameEx is running. Try this:

• Start GameEx in a Window
  • Open up the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc)
  • Open up the Performance tab
  • View the Physical Memory settings

For bonus points you can go further down this rabbit hole:

• From the Performance tab, open up the Resource Monitor (if it's available on your system)
  • View the Memory section to see whether there are running processes taking up large amounts of memory

You may also want to take a look at the Windows Event viewer to see whether there are any critical events and/or warnings that correlate with the times you experience this decreased performance.

• Open the start menu
  • Type Event Viewer into the search box
  • Check for any unusual events

Lastly, do you have any codec packs installed on your machine? How's your video playback for video snaps and the like?