All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

How do you get the high score listing inside of Game Ex menus?

rtkiii

I saw another post - which I cannot find anymore - where A guy was looking at high scores outside of the ROM and inside of Game Ex menus. I believe it was in the game's info menu like where you see "Time played," "Info" and so on. I have it where MAME saves high scores in the "HI" folder and I believe I have "Hi-Scores" enabled in the Mame Settings for Game Ex but I do not see this option in any of the games. The games do save high scores inside but say I get High Score in "Ms. Pac-Man" it only has the score at the top...it seemed like this person had the scores and initials listed outside of the RO?M itself...I think. Anyway is this possible?

Thanks,

Rich

Yes GameEx has the ability to display high score information within the frontend via an integrated utility called HiToText. This feature can be enabled on the MAME Settings screen under the Advance MAME Settings section via the 'Enable High Scores' field. I think that this feature contains the functionality you’re looking for ... when it's working correctly. Read on …

The good news is that you’re already 90% of the way there in that you’re running a compiled version of MAME with high score support enabled. The bad news is that HiToText hasn't been updated in quite a while and is incompatible with more recent MAME versions. According to the developer 0.139 was the last version of MAME to support HiToText, so if you're really interested in this feature, I suppose you could always revert back to an earlier version of MAME (remember that you'll have to revert all your ROMs and CHDs back as well). TBH I’m not sure the extent to which HiToText is incompatible with more recent versions of MAME. I kinda think that there’s still some partial compatibility, but when it runs into problems it tends to crash MAME outright (once again this is my limited understanding)

Fyrecrypts (the developer of HiToText) has officially called it quits on the project, but he has generously made the source code available through SourceForge. Perhaps with a little luck a motivated developer will take the reigns of the project and make the appropriate updates.

too bad this sounds like a really cool feature. I just got all my ROMS to this new version...i'm not going back again :) Thanks for the input.

I was pretty sure that you did. That's why I'm thinking that there is at least partial compatibility with recent versions of MAME. At the same time though several users have reported crashing issues with more current MAME versions.

[somewhat Resolved]Has anyone had this problem? - between Instant Sheller and CPWizard??

HiToText (Version 2010.11.4)
143u9 MAME build and hitotext
HI to Text crashing

It's all very mysterious! Glad you have it working though.