All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Theme-Editor Error

u-man

here is something what i found about this:

http://www.codeease.com/resource-file-resx-compile-error-in-64-bit-windows-7.html

so it seems that this error is not only windows media player dependent, it has something to do, how things are compiled.

i am no coder, but it seems to me, that the WMP lib in the GameEx installation is faulty.

please Tom, take at least a look on this. Is GameEx not compiled with Visual Studio?

While I won't discount this as not being a possibility, it does beg the question as to why others with Windows 7 x64 installs are not experiencing the same errors you are encountering? I would expect to have seen many reports of the same or similar errors if something was broken. So far as I am aware, there have not been any changes in the programming of Theme Editor that would recently cause this to occur.

Something is apparently amiss with your system - be it an update or something else installed along the way which may require a reinstall of the OS to correct. Occam's Razor is thus invoked - the simplest answer is often correct.

nobody else didnt even tried or in case of Draco even knowed that such feature exists....

all this crap **** with updates.... haaah so nice.... a reinstall then..... **** off MS and all the other buggy **** outthere :angry:

Edited by KRC
Foul Language

hello again,

i just wanted to clearify, that with my last post, i didnt want to offend anybody here in the forum nor the admins or Tom.

the offending language belongs to Microsoft (M$) and other software, which leaded to my problem, nobody is aware off.

with the 2 options i have (leave it like it is, or complete re-install of PC) i turned into rage-mode. i understand all the consequences of my behaviour, but the latest news, ruined my weekend and that was just too much for me.

i.e. try to google "Interop.WMPLib", "Error", "Solution" and you know what i mean.

i apologize any trouble i made and excuse if anybody was offended. can not do anymore than this.

not wanting to bump this thread again, but i would need some help for my last try to solve this on my own.

has anyone with windows 7 64bit, this "Interop.WMPLib" installed (with the exception of the GameEx folder) ?

where is it exactly placed? path direction?

pls attach this "Interop.WMPLib", so i could manually install it.

that would be all ;) thanks in advance

Have you tried performing a file search for Interop.WMPLib.dll on your system?

You may need to take a look at C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player, if not there, not sure what to tell you.

i searched my PC for it, but only place where it is, is my GameEx folder. from what i have read, people have it here: C:\Windows\System32.

but the people did not tell which OS they used :). so maybe it is different on 64bit, thats why i am asking and i do not have it at all, except in GameEx. so i think it is not a good sign, if i dont have it in the windows folder too. thats why i am asking, if someone could attach one, for me to download.

i thought that maybe this is not the same .dll :) and i dont know if this is really the right path for a 64bit OS.

but i will try it this way too.

EDIT: nope, i got errors when i do this, says it is incompatible with this version of Windows and i should check if this module is compatible with a x86-version (32-bit) or x64-Version (64-bit) of "regsvr32.exe".

maybe restart is needed or wrong path for 64bit OS.

My apologies - Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, uses the same regsvr32.exe file for both Windows 32-bit and 64-bit. Now for the even more infinitely wise move, has the 64-bit files within the system32 directory. The 32-bit are located in the SysWOW64 directory. So, try this from a command prompt:

from the Run box, type cmd, then, when cmd.exe shows up, right-click on it and then left click run as administrator.
from the command line type cd \windows\syswow64

then type regsvr32 c:\filename.dll
and hit enter

getting closer :D...

now i get the error:

the modul Interop.WMPLib.dll was loaded, but the DLLRegisterServer-Entrypoint was not found. be sure that Interop.WMPLib.dll is a valid .DLL or .OCX-File and repeat the task.

ok i see and understand..... i dont have a wmplib.dll anywhere. i just have a wmp.dll and that i have in the system32 and in the SysWOW64 folder. did you mean that? or is there a really a wmplib.dll which i am missing?

i try to remember what i did around christmas, and i think i deinstalled stuff, either Microsoft Visual C++ stuff or Microsoft .NET stuff or worst case BOTH.

i was naiv and thought, i just keep the most current version. i can only guess that it has something to do with it.

hello again

i reinstalled .NET Framework to 4.5 and all Visual C++ stuff from 2005 till 2012, both 32bit and 64bit version.

i reinstalled Windows Media player 12.

i tried a new user account. tried safe-mode.

all with no luck. i think i will give up, i would need more info on the invoked processes of the theme-editor by choosing video or audio. or the invoked processes of the HTCP section of Setupwizard. not knowing where to look or search, is a fight against windmills :).

as anything else is doing well, i have no intention for a reinstall of a new OS, maybe when i found more apps not working.

the log:

System.BadImageFormatException: Die Datei oder Assembly "Interop.WMPLib, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" oder eine Abhängigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden. Es wurde versucht, eine Datei mit einem falschen Format zu laden.
Dateiname: "Interop.WMPLib, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"
bei AxWMPLib.AxWindowsMediaPlayer.AttachInterfaces()
bei System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.GetOcxCreate()
bei System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.TransitionUpTo(Int32 state)
bei System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateHandle()
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
bei System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.EndInit()
bei w.a()
bei p.q(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

WRN: Protokollierung der Assemblybindung ist AUS.
Sie können die Protokollierung der Assemblybindungsfehler aktivieren, indem Sie den Registrierungswert [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) auf 1 festlegen.
Hinweis: Die Protokollierung der Assemblybindungsfehler führt zu einer gewissen Leistungseinbuße.
Sie können dieses Feature deaktivieren, indem Sie den Registrierungswert [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] entfernen.

************** Loaded Assemblys **************
mscorlib
Assembly-Version: 2.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.5466 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400).
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll.
----------------------------------------
ThemeEditor
Assembly-Version: 1.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 1.0.0.0.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/GameEx/ThemeEditor.exe.
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly-Version: 8.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400).
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll.
System
Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400).
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll.
System.Windows.Forms
Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400).
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll.
System.Drawing
Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400).
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll.
System.Runtime.Remoting
Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400).
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll.
System.Management
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll.
mscorlib.resources
Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.5466 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400).
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll.
AxInterop.WMPLib
Assembly-Version: 1.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 1.0.0.0.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/GameEx/AxInterop.WMPLib.DLL.
System.Windows.Forms.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll.

Hi u-man,

Hey just out of curiousity is .NET 4.5 the only version of .NET installed on your machine? I couldn't guarantee it, but it might help if you installed some of older versions as well (although I'd be a bit remiss to recommend how far back that you go). The .NET framework can be a bit of a black box at times, since you never really know what application is using what, and more specifically what version of .NET those apps rely on. .NET installations can and most often do exist side by side with no conflicting dependencies. I think I've got multiple .NET installations going clear back to 2.0 on my primary systems.

I'm kinda taking a shot in the dark, but I feel like it's worth a shot. I mean if that doesn't work you could always uninstall them again.

It has been my experience that you can sometimes get some funky results when uninstalling them out of order. Probably wouldn't hurt to try reinstalling from 2.0 forward to see if it remedies the error. Worse case is that things remain status quo.

He's gotta have .NET 2.0 for GameEx to work at all. Its built on that framework. :)

So it must be there if its working normally. Which means the InterOp must be based on FW 2.0, right? Maybe not but I don't think a 4.0 lib would work in a 2.0 environment. But I could be wrong.

No I think you're absolutely right, I had forgotten that Tom specifies a rather specific .NET version in the minimum requirements.

Minimum System Requirements:
Pentium 3 800Mhz CPU (or equivalent)
DirectX(DirectDraw) Compatible Video card, capable of 16 bit colour at 640X480.
[Your video card does not normally need to be too special unless using videos or DVD, although older motherboard onboard video is not recommended]
DirectSound Compatible Sound Card.
256MB Ram
Windows 2000 (SP4), XP (SP2), MCE, Vista, Windows 7
250MB Free hard drive space
Microsoft .net framework 2 service pack 1
Microsoft Direct X 9.0
Windows Media Player 9 or above

So yeah, you're probably on to something there Adultery. Good call. I was a bit confused that u-man specifically mentioned installing .NET4.5 but not the other framework versions.

So what say you u-man? Do your .NET installations appear to be complete and in order?

Run GameEx and post your log. It may be of some help here. Will definitely tell us if you have the right FW installed or not.

thank you all for replying....

the thing with windows 7 is, that it comes with FW 3.5 pre-installed. you can only de-install it, by using the windows activating/deactivating feature (same thing for windows media player). when i try to install FW 2.0 for example, then it tells me, either that it does not work with my OS or that there is a newer version installed. previously every FW from 3.5 till 4.0 was listed in my programs system extension. after installing 4.5, all other stuff goes away and only 4.5 is listened. first i thought i have deleted other stuff, but nope, after reinstalling everything, i realized that with 4.5 all other stuff goes away.

more and more, i think it is some "hiccup" with cache or preferences, which still resides somewhere, even if you uninstall and install all the stuff again.

for example i dont know from where the Theme-Editor or GameEx gets the info, where my Background Video is saved. it is not saved in a .ini, that is for sure.

i found out that on my XP-cab, the location of the last opened video is remembered, when i open the video or audio dialog in the theme-editor. on XP the dialog opens and the last choosen video is showed in a preview-window of this dialog. this video is shown, regardless if i have ever choosen a video for this section (Mame, Start, Emu, Jukebox etc.) or not. hope you understand me :D.

maybe this "remembering" goes wrong/broken (hiccup) on my Windows7 64bit PC. that would explain, why it doesnt matter if i choose my own theme or a default one. i would need to put this thing into a new, clean and fresh state, where this wmplib dont try to open a (previously remembered) video or audio file for the preview-window in the dialog.

i did not get rid off this, by uninstall and reinstall again, this info/preference/cache resides somewhere in the system and is not "reset-ed". maybe that helps. i know it is not a GameEx error, but maybe you know the dependencies with the wmplib and where to look for that stuff.

to keep it simple: the dialog window of the video/audio option in the theme-editor, invoked by WMP-components, needs a resetting.

i have attached the logs. if you open the theme-editor log, you can see that there is no path to a video, but the theme use videos for background and the path to them are stored somewhere else.

thank you all, for even listening to this troubleshoot

log.txt

ThemeEditor.txt

• 1 month later...

hello guys,

I am sorry to bump this topic on top again, but i have some news.

I recently bought a new laptop, needless to say that i needed to install a fresh, new Windows7 64Bit and guess what? yeah, i got the same f#*+ing error again :( . and no, i did not use my theme to see that happen again.

And again, I am here to ask some stupid questions:

1. Can I install GameEx in to the (x86) programs folder? does this have any downside effects?

2. I did not install any codec-packs, i installed GameEx on a fresh Windows7 SP1 64Bit. Can i savely assume this error has not anything to do with non-installed codecs?

Reminder:

Clean, fresh Windows7 SP1 64bit on a new Laptop

Clean, fresh GameEx using Default Themes

Still getting the same Error, described in this thread

Everything worked before Christmas 2012

any help appreciated.... thank you all