All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

sega cd issues

cnells2000

hi. my sega cd isos and bin files have been working for fusion and now half of them work and half dont. my bios are directed right but some boot right up and some say press reset to open cd tray i open in game ex and the games begin but some work and some dont. at one time i had all of them working. my filters are like ( *.iso;*.rar;*.bin) MY COMMAND LINE IS Fusion.exe -scd -fullscreen "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" plz help

hi. my sega cd isos and bin files have been working for fusion and now half of them work and half dont. my bios are directed right but some boot right up and some say press reset to open cd tray i open in game ex and the games begin but some work and some dont. at one time i had all of them working. my filters are like ( *.iso;*.rar;*.bin) MY COMMAND LINE IS Fusion.exe -scd -fullscreen "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" plz help

If some are rar'ed, have you made sure to set zip support for those roms? Best to export your config for that emulator so we can see exactly what your settings are.

This is interesting because I am having the exact same problem which is a bit weird. However my configuration is different as I am utilizing the automatic mounting to a virtual drive that GameEx provides.

My Option in the setup is:

fusion.exe -scd -fullscreen [-VIRTUALDRIVE-]

I am not at the machine at the moment to verify the option for the virtual drive but it is the default one that GameEx provides.

I also get the same response the Original poster gets where it does not detect the game.

I am using the US Bios file in fusion.

I honestly believe that it might actually have nothing to do with GameEx itself but the bios file as a incompatible sega cd bios file will most likely cause a game to not be recognized.

I will have to verify everything again later on in the day and I will reply with what I found.

Also to note, GameEx automounts fine as I confirmed that the game is loaded when fusion loads. GameEx mounts to drive F:, Daemon Tools Lite added 2 virtual drives F: and G: and F: is the SCSI virtual drive.

I will reply to this thread in ~6 hours after I get back to the machine and further troubleshoot.

By the way, cnells2000, you generally are going to want to access *.cue or similar media description files for cd image files as they contain the data needed for CD Redbook audio. You want to mount or access those files as they will allow you to play the CD Audio that is on the games.

Sega CD games heavily utilize CD Audio for game music as that was a key selling point back in the day.

You want to make sure you have cue files for all of your games or mds files.

If you do have the cue files, your rom filter then should be *.cue and not *.iso;*.bin

If your cue files give you an error when you try to mount them, then you may have renamed your bin or iso files and you need to open up the cue file and edit the first line so that it is named like your iso or bin file.

When reporting issues like this, the best means of troubleshooting the issue will be to post a copy of your emulator config, and your log file. In this particular case it might also be good to have a look at your runitgame.bat. Here are the instructions on how to access all of that information.

Shooting from the hip: I’m pretty sure that in order for Fusion to load up in ‘Boot Sega CD’ mode, you don’t want to specify a file name in your command line (otherwise it will try to load a disc image internally, rather than run from the virtual drive). This is assuming you’ve already setup Fusion to recognize and read from your virtual drive (as seen here). If the above advice bears fruit, it may mean that Fusion is not fully compatible with auto-disc mounting in GameEx, but likewise doesn’t mean that it’s impossible to achieve your desired results (this is where your runitgame.bat may come in handy).

Ok I checked my config and it matches what I said above.

I actually manually loaded a game within Fusion from the virtual drive and it loaded perfectly.

The only thing I can think of that might be causing issues for me personally was that I had to put a space in between -fullscreen and the virtual drive variable in GameEx config.

Also it helps to be patient as well during the load as it does take a bit of time to load. But everything seems to be working now.

My Rom Filter is set to *.cue as I want to mount the cue files so that Redbook audio functions, everything works great.

I did want to follow up this thread after finding out that the virtual drive option actually wasn't working and I simply had never unmounted my virtual drive, which made it appear things were fine.

I should submit some kind of bug report but until then, for the benefit of anyone who comes across this thread in the future and meets similar issues, I will post a solution to problems encountered with Sega CD options.

The following options in the Configuration Utility should load Sega CD games with Kega Fusion as well as play any cd music associated with the games:

Note about this Configuration,

You must have the CUE Files associated with your game images as the cue files contain the information related to the CD AUDIO of the games. Loading the games from the ISO file or BIN file directly may not allow for CD AUDIO playback.

There are other types of metadata image descriptor files: ccd, mdf, and others. If you find you do not have a cue file but do have a ccd or mdf, then your filter should be set up to include that. Do not set up your filter to open the image file directly as this may not allow for CD Audio playback, the Metadata file contains the track information for the CD Audio.

This configuration is also only intended for the Kega Fusion Emulator.

Emulator Setup Page:

Rom Filter: *.cue

Command Line: Fusion.exe -scd -fullscreen "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"

This should be all you need, The important part of this foremost is that you filter by cue files as you need to load those for CD Audio to play. The second is that virtualdrive does not appear to work at least for me as I will explain further...

So apparently the problem lies within the fact that Kega Fusion does not recognize DT virtual drives.

GameEx requires the use of DT virtual drives for mounting. Kega Fusion DOES recognize the SCSI virtual drive, but not the DT virtual drive.

So what happens is the following, GameEx mounts the game to the DT virtual drive, Kega Fusion can not obviously detect this drive, no game ever loads within fusion even though it is mounted by the DT drive.

I have personally tried many different ways to get the utilization of GameEx's virtualdrive auto mount to work, even going so far as to renaming the SCSI drive as DTsoft and matching as much as possible the DT virtual drive... But to no avail, GameEx will still not mount the game to the SCSI drive and needs the actual DT virtual drive.

I gave up on this and resorted to running the mount and unmount command within Advanced Emulator Setup.

I put in Run Before:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount scsi, 0,"[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"

and in Run After:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -unmount_all

GameEx ignored this.

Frustrated, I thought to simply put this into a batch file and have that run.

I made a batch file with this for mountgame.bat and put it at the root of my c drive:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount scsi, 0,%1

I then put this in my Run Before:

C:\mountgame.bat "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"

GameEx ignored this too.

After this, I gave up completely on using any virtual drives.

I think I gave up mostly because C:\GameEx\LOG\log.txt was completely unhelpful at all during this.

The log file tend to only show me the command that was run, if DT virtual drive was installed or not, saying something along the lines as "Did you install the virtual drive?".

After giving up, I just went back and put the "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" in replacing the virtualdrive option with that.

If I submit any official bug report I will make sure to include all of the requirements but I am relatively satisfied with just using the "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" option and it seems to work just fine. I do not mind working around the problem myself.

I am not exactly sure how GameEx can be programmed to use the Daemon Tools SCSI virtual drive instead of the Daemon Tools DT virtual drive. Also most other emulators seem to allow loading games directly from the cue, mds, or cdi image descriptor files without being required to utilize the automount virtualdrive option in GameEx so its probably not really that big of a deal to begin with.

I hope this helps anyone in the future who comes across this.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this info shadowalpha. I'm sure this info may prove to be usefull to our users.

I've run into the same limitation regarding the way that GameEx will favor a virtual DT drive over a SCSI when both are present. One workaround that has worked for me is that if you only have a virtual SCSI drive installed the [-VIRTUALDRIVE-] command seems to play nicely with it. It's only when both a virtual SCSI and DT drives are present that GameEx will give preference to the DT drive. That's been my experience at any rate. YMMV naturally.

I've made a feature request in the past to allow the [-VIRTUALDRIVE-] command to specify either DT or SCSI so who knows this functionality may be available at some point.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this info shadowalpha. I'm sure this info may prove to be usefull to our users.

I've run into the same limitation regarding the way that GameEx will favor a virtual DT drive over a SCSI when both are present. One workaround that has worked for me is that if you only have a virtual SCSI drive installed the [-VIRTUALDRIVE-] command seems to play nicely with it. It's only when both a virtual SCSI and DT drives are present that GameEx will give preference to the DT drive. That's been my experience at any rate. YMMV naturally.

I've made a feature request in the past to allow the [-VIRTUALDRIVE-] command to specify either DT or SCSI so who knows this functionality may be available at some point.

Ah yes I did try with only a SCSI virtual drive and not a DT virtualdrive but what happens is if the DT drive is not present at all, GameEx complains that you have not installed ISO mounting support. It would appear to absolutely depend on a DT virtual drive present.

shadowalpha - for future reference, I would troubleshoot something like this by using the runitgame.bat method as described in this thread:

http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/6451-guide-how-to-ask-for-help/

As you stated, the log is not a big help in this case.

I saw runitgame mentioned in a few threads before trying to resolve this and you are correct it is a lot more helpful.

I would love to enable some kind of verbosity for GameEx that spits out a log of each command that runs or doesn't run, and why it fails.

I don't know if there is an option for that and I missed it in the configuration. I do love how customizable GameEx is.

We've seen more success with the following when using launch before and after:

start "" "(full location of your bat file)"

(full location of your bat file) being just that. Copy the complete path and file name of your bat file there and give it a go.

Why does that work Frequency? I'm curious.

I don't have an exact answer other than in my experience with bat files, some apps have problems when it's not used. Usually apps with parameters. Not sure exactly how GameEx handles running them in code but just should get in the habit of using them anyways. One of those things that stumps me.

In some of my bat files that I use to do things not GameEx related, some apps just won't run the command unless it's used. Maybe some apps are picky or something. So I just use it all the time now.

i have mixed isos and bin files with mp3 tracks all in one folder, none of my files are rar'd ,i dont use virtual drive because daemon tools lite only lets me use 4 isos at a time max so i never learned how i have a few cue files in my folder but how do i generate a cue file if im missing a few? final fight cd plays with no music and its an iso. this is my favorite emulator and i cant get it to work anymore. im running the correct command line and like i said it was working once and now...poof! plz help