All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Nestopia save and exit

GimmeClassics

Hi, i have two questions about nestopia:

1) i have enabled exiting nestopia and return to gameEx by pressing escape once but before returning to gameEx it shows the Windows desktop. How can i prevent this?

2) how can i save a game(state) without using nestopias menu bar? I ask this because i want to use it in a custom cab and would like to be able to save a game with a default button. A button which i can use with every emulator to save a game. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

Please submit a copy of your log.txt and gameex.ini file, along with you nestopia config for GameEx.

Hi Draco,

sorry: should have done that in the first place...

Here you go, here are my config files. Couldn't find my nestopia-config: where can I find this? (I wasn't allowed to upload nestopia.txt)

Thanks!

GameEx.ini

log.txt

There is a variable in the "Console Nintendo NES (Nestopia).ini" called "show desktop"

When I'm home again I will try to set this variable to false > My question: how do I get Game-Ex or Nestopia to read this ini-file. Do I have to import this changed file using the Setup Wizard? Putting this config-file in the main NES-folder doesn't work.

Hope to hear from you.

There is a variable in the "Console Nintendo NES (Nestopia).ini" called "show desktop"

When I'm home again I will try to set this variable to false > My question: how do I get Game-Ex or Nestopia to read this ini-file. Do I have to import this changed file using the Setup Wizard? Putting this config-file in the main NES-folder doesn't work.

Hope to hear from you.

I've tried setting the variable "show desktop" to false of the < [Console] Nintendo NES (Nestopia).ini - file > located in ..\GameEx\CONFIG\EMULATORS\IMPORT-EXPORT\

Unfortunately this didn't help :(

Can anybody help me out?

I've tried setting the variable "show desktop" to false of the < [Console] Nintendo NES (Nestopia).ini - file > located in ..\GameEx\CONFIG\EMULATORS\IMPORT-EXPORT\

Unfortunately this didn't help :(

Can anybody help me out?

This needs to be done in Setup Wizard itself. That file is used for importing the standard settings into your setup which is why it had no affect.

This needs to be done in Setup Wizard itself. That file is used for importing the standard settings into your setup which is why it had no affect.

Hi Freqeuncy > unfortunately this didn't work. I've set the variable "Show desktop" to false using the Setup Wizard (advanced emulator config)

It didn't have any effect. GameEx is stilling showing my desktop when I close a NES-game I've been playing..... :(

Any other suggestions?

Have you checked out the additional settings within Nestopia here? Locate the nestopia.cfg file in the Nestopia directory, in the config, is there a line -preferences start in fullscreen : yes ?

Hi Draco. I didn't locate the nestopia.cfg but I did find nestopia.xml

When I open this in a tex-editor I find the following:

<preferences>

<appearance>

<icon-style>nes</icon-style>

<menu-desktop>

<custom-color>0x00EFCA18</custom-color>

<use-custom-color>no</use-custom-color>

</menu-desktop>

<menu-fullscreen>

<custom-color>0x00EFCA18</custom-color>

<use-custom-color>no</use-custom-color>

</menu-fullscreen>

</appearance>

<application>

<allow-multiple-instances>no</allow-multiple-instances>

<autostart>yes</autostart>

<confirm-exit>no</confirm-exit>

<confirm-reset>no</confirm-reset>

<exit-power-off>no</exit-power-off>

<favored-system>nes-ntsc</favored-system>

<favored-system-always-ask>no</favored-system-always-ask>

<priority>normal</priority>

<run-background>no</run-background>

<start-fullscreen>yes</start-fullscreen>

<suppress-warnings>no</suppress-warnings>

</application>

<save>

<cheats>yes</cheats>

<launcher>yes</launcher>

<logfile>yes</logfile>

<netplay-list>yes</netplay-list>

<settings>yes</settings>

<window-launcher>no</window-launcher>

<window-main>no</window-main>

</save>

</preferences>

It's alreay stating to start fullscreen but GameEx is nevertheless showing my desktop when I close a NES-game I've been playing....?

I wonder if GameEx is thinking that something is still open and not regaining focus? Anyone else have any ideas regarding? I do not run the emulator myself but there may be need of some sort of launch after command or .bat file run to help this process out.

In the meantime > Draco: what emulator are you using for NES-games?

Perhaps you could give me a list of emulators you're using ? Would really help me out I think. A veteran like yourself uses emulators that work well I think :)

Nestopia is the probably the best recommended emulator for NES.

As far as your issue. Maybe it's not closing correctly. Please try to close the emulator with the required keys instead of using ESC. If that gives you the results you want then an advanced config would be the way to close it correctly.

Funny you should ask! At present, I am not doing as much with emulation of the consoles or handhelds. I am hoping to venture in that direction after the first of the year as I am spending most of my free time to working on finishing touches on two themes.

Nestopia is the probably the best recommended emulator for NES.

As far as your issue. Maybe it's not closing correctly. Please try to close the emulator with the required keys instead of using ESC. If that gives you the results you want then an advanced config would be the way to close it correctly.

Nestopia is closing by pressing alt+x Closing nestopia within gameex using this keycombo still shows the desktop :( Changing the advanced setting in gameex (with the setup wizard) for closing nestopia to the key combo alt+x also doesn't help.

I hope there is another solution. Apart from this: with a future build cabinet in mind, the goal is that any emulator within gameex can be closed by one and the same button.

Hope to hear another solution for closing nestopia in the correct way (without showing the desktop).

Hiding the desktop is the only way. If I remember correctly that this emulator closes it shows the menu screen and then may show the desktop as you say. I'd have to see the behavior for myself. That being said then another emulator maybe give you the results you're after. Maybe mednafen or another just to give it a try.