All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Broken zip support in update?

tomf80

After I updated today when GameEx goes to unzip a game it dumps the unzipped files to c:\users\username\appdata\local emp\Unzipped7-Zip\, but the files are only 1kb. The contents of the unzipped files are nothing but a capital D.

Unzipping them myself, using 7za.exe that came with GameEx, they are extracted at their expected sized. The files themselves are zip files, and the results are the same regardless of what game or system chosen.

From log.txt

20:26:39.1 11/26/2012: Extracting: C:\emu\roms\snes\Castlevania - Dracula X.zip
20:26:39.7 11/26/2012: Running: cmd.exe /c C: snes.cmd "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp\Unzipped7-Zip\Castlevania - Dracula X (USA).sfc"
20:26:39.9 11/26/2012: Shutting down display

From runit.bat

chcp 65001
C:
CD C:\Users om\AppData\Local\Temp\Unzipped7-Zip
"C:\GameEx\7za.exe" l "C:\emu\roms\snes\Castlevania - Dracula X.zip" > "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp\Unzipped7-Zip\list.txt"

From runitgame.bat

chcp 65001
C:
CD "C:\emu\retroarch-win32-0.9.7"

snes.cmd "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp\Unzipped7-Zip\Castlevania - Dracula X (USA).sfc"

If you don't mind, please, provide complete copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files. We will be glad to try to get to the bottom of your issue once you upload them in your reply within this thread. Thanks!

I am unable to replicate or determine what may be the cause of your issue. You may want to download the latest version and install over your current install (should have no adverse affects) and see if this resolves the problem. Otherwise, will need to escalate for further troubleshooting.

PS: To clarify your command line looks wrong. I don't think zip support has been broken. Please try the latest version though. It is normal to see those zero byte files. GameEx uses those to detect what is in the zip when loading the game info page.

The command line hasn't changed that I can tell. I didn't mention it before, as I didn't expect it would be relevant, but the same happens with NES games.

If those 0 byte files are normal, where do the roms get extracted to when the emulator runs?

I will download the latest version and install over my installation. I assumed that was the most recent version, as it had downloaded just before I went to run the game.

The update is downloading now, it seems you update often. :)

The problem has been resolved, it was not the zip support as I had guessed. It turns out, I had also updated RetroArch and the update to it included new Direct3D support that was built-in and I had it configured to use an old, and now incompatible, external dll.

Thanks for the help.