All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Black screen every time I play mame game

criveman

If you can post your ini and log file we may have something to go on. At the moment, it is a rather vague request for help.

There is a topic in this forum detailing the best way to get help.

When reporting a possible GameEx bug or error, please ensure you submit a copy of your log.txt and gameex.ini file so we may quickly assist you. Please refer to this link for additional information on where to locate these files. Thanks!

If you can play MAME outside of GameEx, there's a problem with your config somewhere.. perhaps you have it setup to hide the desktop, and that HideOS is taking over as the top window. As everybody else says, post ini's and we'll know more.

Hi Im running mameui32 0.146, my question is what are the best display/advanced settings to run the roms, because some of them will run fine and others will have a black screen.

GameEx.ini

log.txt

Edited by criveman
I merged these two topics since it sounds like the same problem report

I merged your new problem report with your original report since it sounds like a very similar issue, if not the exact same issue. Please post a copy of your GameEx.ini and a copy of your log after having attempted to run one of the bogus ROMs. Thanks! :D

Odd that some will run fine and others black screen. If that is the case, then I doubt this is a HideOS issue as it should do so consistently, not arbitrarily. Have you tried running the same games outside of GameEx and, if so, did you encounter the same results?

By the way, I merged your topic today with this one that you already had open for pretty much the same issue (and identical posts). Let's get these issues resolved before opening another related thread. We are glad to help, but multiple threads trying to help you with the same emulator will only add to your confusion and ours! Thanks!

OK - first thing you will need to do before we can proceed is upgrade your version of GameEx! Per the gameex.ini file you attached, you are on version 10.22 - there have been quite a few improvements along the way to the current version of 12.85. It is crucial that you upgrade as we can no longer support the older version and do you any justice towards a resolution.

After you upgrade, please attempt to run the same games again and post your new gameex.ini and log.txt files.

Thanks!

Ok. will do..When I upgrade will my settings will be erased.?

Your settings should stay intact with an upgrade. Also, GameEx backs up your settings in case. You could also backup your settings as a safety measure.

As far as your issue, the way I would approach this is by troubleshooting with the runitgame.bat file. Instructions on how to do so are on the pinned "How To Ask For Help" topic found on the top of the forums. Follow step 4B on how to do this. This will show the command-line window and will show exactly what's being displayed on the screen and should provide useful info on why it's being returned back to GameEx.

Glad you at least have partial success and the black screen issue was resolved. Would you mind selecting a different theme and reporting back whether or not you get the same results?

@criveman - You're welcome!

@null - I am wondering if there isn't a missing media file in the Default - Media Center theme causing the issue?

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

We have seen this frequently as of late. I may be off mark.

@null - I am wondering if there isn't a missing media file in the Default - Media Center theme causing the issue?

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

We have seen this frequently as of late. I may be off mark.

It's a very good question. I was originally thinking that the problem was related to a missing DirectX dll (or an out of date dll), but it does certainly seem to be tied to the theme. That used to be my main theme too, and I never experienced issues, but I've since updated it to a V4 theme (i.e. it's mostly the same, just updated to v4). I guess this may require some investigation?

I have tested it but unable to replicate. I'd say mark it as resolved and move on at this point. There may yet be a pattern but the events are spread far enough apart to make it difficult to discern a commonality.