All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED]Use multiple buttons on gamepad to send keys to emulator?

shanti

Sorry if this has been answered before, I did search the forums but didn't find anything relevant :(

does anyone know if its possible to lets say map multiple buttons on gamepad/joystick to send a keyboard command? lets say I want to map when I press Buton1+Button3+Buton4+Button5 and it will send SHIFT+F5 to the emulator running ? this will be helpful to save states and load states while using the gamepad.

Thanks

lets say I want to map when I press Buton1+Button3+Buton4+Button5 and it will send SHIFT+F5 to the emulator running ? this will be helpful to save states and load states while using the gamepad.

Yep, I'd definitely second the suggestion on Xpadder. In fact it's what I use to execute in-game save and load states exactly as you describe here (albeit I don't use the same button combination obviously).

If you go with Xpadder, don't forget to checkout Adultery's awesome Xpadder plug-in for GameEx. It makes it a breeze to incorporate Xpadder into GameEx.

Yep, I'd definitely second the suggestion on Xpadder. In fact it's what I use to execute in-game save and load states exactly as you describe here (albeit I don't use the same button combination obviously).

If you go with Xpadder, don't forget to checkout Adultery's awesome Xpadder plug-in for GameEx. It makes it a breeze to incorporate Xpadder into GameEx.

Thanks

I was browsing theur forum, but since I cannot register ( I need to buy it) and I can't seem to find any info on this, are you sure you can do multiple buttons on the gamepad for one keystroke? the videos seem like its a very complex program

Definitely. It's not quite as straight forward as that, but it can certainly be done.

If you do get into it, you may find that you want to dial back the number of buttons in the combination though. Essentially this works via the 'control set' feature in Xpadder. So if 'control set 1' is your default button configuration for gaming you set one button in 'control set 1' which opens 'control set 2' while held. One button in 'control set 2' will open 'control set 3' while held. Essentially you end up with as many 'control sets' as you require buttons to be held in your key combination. So long as you're holding down all those buttons at the same time the 'last control set' in the chain will contain one button that actually executes the multiple key stroke macro.

Xpadder has relatively sophisticated controls for configuring multiple key macros, so you're good to go there.

OTOH, I don't want to be the one to blame if you wind up feeling like you wasted five bucks! ;) To my mind Xpadder is highly worth the purchase, but you may not feel the same. If you're looking for something free, you might also check out Joy2Key (I've never used it, so can't fully elucidate on the features it offers).

Definitely. It's not quite as straight forward as that, but it can certainly be done.

If you do get into it, you may find that you want to dial back the number of buttons in the combination though. Essentially this works via the 'control set' feature in Xpadder. So if 'control set 1' is your default button configuration for gaming you set one button in 'control set 1' which opens 'control set 2' while held. One button in 'control set 2' will open 'control set 3' while held. Essentially you end up with as many 'control sets' as you require buttons to be held in your key combination. So long as you're holding down all those buttons at the same time the 'last control set' in the chain will contain one button that actually executes the multiple key stroke macro.

Xpadder has relatively sophisticated controls for configuring multiple key macros, so you're good to go there.

OTOH, I don't want to be the one to blame if you wind up feeling like you wasted five bucks! ;) To my mind Xpadder is highly worth the purchase, but you may not feel the same. If you're looking for something free, you might also check out Joy2Key (I've never used it, so can't fully elucidate on the features it offers).

haha don't worry I won't blame you, I am sure Xpadder could be something I could use for other stuff too if that doesn't work for me :)

thanks for the reply, I am going to test it out :)

I am gonna have to +1 Xpadder... Obviously I use it for everything, which is why I wrote that plugin. ;) That'll at least take the headache out of adding it to your rig, and like Null mentioned I use joystick combos for everything from state saving/loading to rewinding and fast-forwarding.

I absolutely love it... Best $5 I ever spent TBPH. It's a really wonderful piece of software, and you get lifetime updates for that $5. Completely worth it!

I am gonna have to +1 Xpadder... Obviously I use it for everything, which is why I wrote that plugin. ;) That'll at least take the headache out of adding it to your rig, and like Null mentioned I use joystick combos for everything from state saving/loading to rewinding and fast-forwarding.

I absolutely love it... Best $5 I ever spent TBPH. It's a really wonderful piece of software, and you get lifetime updates for that $5. Completely worth it!

where do you guys get it for 5 dlls? its 9.99 on the site... :P

I've had it for a really long time, so I'm not surprised it went up to $10, but even for $10 its a no brainer. :)

• Like 1

+1 to all Xpadder recommendations - Adultory is right - it's one of them "gems" you find and if you try it, you'll most likely never unload it :P I have it boot on start-up with a mouse and general navigation keys (Alt+F4, Alt+Tab etc) profile ,so if you have your rig plugged into your HDTV like i do you can check your mails, surf the interwebs and launch stuff right from your sofa using a pad - ahhhh bliss :D

If you have a 360 pad i find setting the right analogue stick click to "control set 2" - makes it very easy to keep pressed while accessing your macro's/combo's or whatever you decide to put on "set 2" :)

+1 for Xpadder... I remember helping Jonathan test the control set feature way back when he was adding it. It's a really excellent piece of kit though development seems to have stalled lately. I remember at one stage he was on a monthly release cycle.