All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Are there any good NES emulators that don't lag when using V-Sync?

LucasBarton

Ok, so I've been using Nestopia for quite a while and I figured out why I sucked at Mike Tyson's Punch-Out after having once mastered it long ago. Turns out that having V-Sync turned gives you a terrible control lag that throws everything off by a millisecond. Turning it off makes controls very accurate but gives you horrible screen tearing on side-scrolling games like Super Mario Bros. I decided to give JNES, FCE Ultra, and VirtuaNES a try but they all have issues, either the same kind of lag or screen tearing even with vsync and buffering. Any recommedations on how to resolve this?

Another problem. Ever since my video card went bad and I had another installed I keep running into little issues. I like the emulator Vivanonno because my PC isn't the fastest and it runs the Namco racing games very nicely. However, since I installed the new video card it will not run. I get a Windows error message when I click on it. Looking at the error report it comes up with a file at this location which I can't seem to locate: c:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\9db8_appcompat.txt . I've looked high and low for this file and can't find it. What is the whole ~1 about? Should this read as c:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\user\LOCAL SETTINGS\Temp\9db8_appcompat.txt ? I can't make head or tails out of this. Seems like it's a constant cycle of getting everything working great, hard drive goes bad, spend forever getting it working again and enjoy it for a year, then the video card goes bad, repeat cycle over and over again. It's weird because my internet PC has lasted forever. Leave it on all night over and over and it's still ticking. My gaming PC, play it for an hour or two a week and something is always going wrong.

Thanks for any help you all can offer.

~1 is how DOS interprets anything over 8 characters - Windows extended naming.

You are correct - what you are seeing is "c:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\user\LOCAL SETTINGS\Temp\9db8_appcompat.txt".

On my computer:

Program Files is C:\PROGRA~1

Program Files(x86) is C:\PROGRA~2

Documents and Settings is C:\DOCUME~1

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for an NES emulator I have been using Mednafen lately. I will have to try Punch-Out though. I just thought I sucked at it and haven't tried it since I used Nestopia. Most likely I'm having the same problem and maybe Mednafen will work better. :)

~1 is how DOS interprets anything over 8 characters - Windows extended naming.

You are correct - what you are seeing is "c:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\user\LOCAL SETTINGS\Temp\9db8_appcompat.txt".

On my computer:

Program Files is C:\PROGRA~1

Program Files(x86) is C:\PROGRA~2

Documents and Settings is C:\DOCUME~1

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for an NES emulator I have been using Mednafen lately. I will have to try Punch-Out though. I just thought I sucked at it and haven't tried it since I used Nestopia. Most likely I'm having the same problem and maybe Mednafen will work better. :)

Oddly enough, that file is not in that folder or anywhere. I've got all hidden files and folders showing, but there is not a file named that in the folder. It's weird. I even re-downloaded the Vivanonno emulator, put it in it's own folder on my desktop, and it still will not open at all, giving an immediate error message. Not sure what to do on this one.

Mednafen is just too much of a pain in the ass to use. It looks nice but the lack of a GUI makes it a headache.

I just remembered that bsnes (or higan if you prefer ;)) also has integrated support for NES emulation at this point. I’ve never taken the NES emulation component for a test drive, but I’d sure be curious to hear how it works (one of those things I’ve been meaning to do for quite some time). I definitely think bsnes would be one to try if you haven’t already settled on an alternative to nestopia.

• Like 1