All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx Users Group on Steam

nullPointer

Hi Guys,

In order to celebrate GameEx integrating native support for Steam (a first for any front end :D ), I started a GameEx users group on Steam. It's open to the public so anyone can join. Obviously our community is right here and will remain here, but I thought it might be fun to have a GameEx game hub on Steam. That way we can see what other Steam games our users are into, what GameEx users are online at a given time, and who knows maybe even jump into an online game of something. If it turned out to be something fun, maybe we could even organize gaming events on Steam.

At any rate, if this sounds like something you might be interested in, you can join the group right here:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gameexrules

(Interestingly enough the /gameex sub-domain was already taken).

• Like 2

Check with Tom to see if he might have reserved the /gameex subdomain. I think this is a great idea!

I’m not too sure this is Toms work. The group on that sub-domain looks like it was created as a goof (which is a bit of a disappointment). It’s also in a language other than English (or possibly even random characters). :huh:

This does make me realize that I may have missed something though. I probably need to add some text to the group description emphasizing that it is composed of GameEx users and is in no way officially endorsed by GameEx. Being as it’s a public group, it’s hard to say who’s going to say what, so it would probably be good to create at least a bit of distance in that regard (obviously I’m not so much concerned about our forum members here as about the general public)

I should also mention that, if Tom (or any of our main community members) felt like they wanted to assume control of the group, I would have no problem with that. I mostly figured it would be fun to have a place to get together and play some games on Steam (as well as create a bit of visibility for GameEx on Steam). :D

• 3 weeks later...

Im purely a retro gamer normally but after trying out Steam because of the integration I may get into it and buy a better video card ;)

Glad to hear it! I'm sure you noticed during testing that there are tons of indie games that are based on retro style gaming :) Super Meat Boy being a fine example. Dam i love that game! Think of old school Mario on speed but with a slight suicidal tendency - awesome :P

EDIT: There is a free multiplayer weekend for MW3 on at the moment for anyone interested and has a powerful enough rig :) Not my kind of thing but meh it seems to be popular

Edited by DazzleHP

Im purely a retro gamer normally but after trying out Steam because of the integration I may get into it and buy a better video card ;) I did add some links to the group at gameex.com on every page at the bottom.

If you don't have any/many games on Steam then wait to December, they do some great Christmas sales... I generally just give my December pay check to Valve :)

You can also pick up some bargains at http://www.greenmangaming.com/ some of their games are Steam games but cheaper. You buy the code from them and activate it on Steam. e.g. Alien Vs Predator is £15 on Steam but can be had on GMG for £3.75

• Like 1

If you don't have any/many games on Steam then wait to December, they do some great Christmas sales... I generally just give my December pay check to Valve :)

Huge +1 to Stu’s comments on Steam sales. Both the Holiday Sale and the Summer Sale are amazing opportunities to pick up Steam games on the cheap. Observe. I don’t think I’ve ever bought a game on Steam for full price lol. :lol:

Thanks for the tip on greenmangaming Stu!

The group sales for some of the old PC classics are usually pretty good. I picked up the X-Com series of about 5 games for $14.99. My only complaint is the lack of documentation and trying to remember back 15+ years how to use the game interfaces is a bit of a pain.

Edited by Draco1962
EDIT: Found some docs on the site. YAY!

Yeah i also have to agree, Both the Holiday Sale and the Summer Sale are amazing. Plus come this years sale i am hoping to rebuild my new account which is purely for my arcade. (this on i am using now) i also have another account which has a lot of games on but that was when i was in a team and playing CS: Source and CS: GO but there is a strong chance i will sell it as the games on there i never really played and not good for arcade (well some are but most not)