All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Artwork download problem

Qlet

Hello, I have been having a problem for several days that I cant seem to get corrected.

For some reason artwork is no longer downloading for MAME . Everything was fine until a few days ago and now no new games added will download the artwork. The setting is right as well as the username and pass for emumovies. When GameEX starts up at the bottom it always says "Downloading Gameboy Artwork" and then "Downloading Sega-SG100 Artwork" and then goes away. I am not sure what this problem could be and would be love some help. Thanks

I'm not sure what romset it is using but it worked with every other game before and I now every new game it will not show artwork. It doesn't appear to download it. It jus says gameboy and sega everytime. Not sure if it's hanging on them or what. Yes I updated list. Thanks

It jus says gameboy and sega everytime.

Sorry, but what do you mean with this?

And please, post your log. You can find it in GameEx\LOG directory. To attach files you have to use "More Reply Options". The log will tell us what gameex finds and what it doesn't...

Sorry, but what do you mean with this?

I was referring to my first post:

When GameEX starts up at the bottom it always says "Downloading Gameboy Artwork" and then "Downloading Sega-SG100 Artwork" and then goes away.

I have attached my log also. Thanks very much! Sorry for the delay in responding, have been tied up at work.

log.txt

Sorry for the delay Qlet. Thanks for your patience, and welcome to the forums!

I’m a bit curious, what happens when you run the standalone Artwork Download Utility? It may provide some clue as to what’s happening with the integrated download process. I’m away from my GameEx machine ATM, but you can find the Artwork Download Utility under the same entry as GameEx in your Start Menu (possibly under Utilities).

Also, are you running any firewall software? I’m wondering whether your firewall may have gotten cranky all of a sudden about the integrated artwork downloader.

From what I can tell you do still need an account, but it’s noteworthy that Snaps and Titles are completely free regardless of EmuMovies User status.

GameEx 12.71

• Automatic download of artwork and videos via emumovies. If GameEx can login it will automatically download. Snaps, Titles, Marquees, Cabinets, Boxes and Carts along with MP4 videos. For free EmuMovies users screenshots will be downloaded and EmuMovies has generously allowed snaps to only count towards a quarter of the daily usage limit.

View the full article

GameEx 12.78

EmuMovies has generously allowed Snaps and Titles to be completely free content for free users of the automatic download feature in GameEx (and the download service utility) so this version reflects that and the automatic artwork download feature in GameEx will also download titles for free EmuMovies users. Thank you EmuMovies. Enjoy!

View the full article

I think he does per his first post, but it would certainly be worth getting verification.

The setting is right as well as the username and pass for emumovies.

It would also be worth verifying that his user status at EmuMovies hasn't changed suddenly (i.e. can he still log into his account over at EmuMovies.com).

Hello everyone. Sorry for the long delay in replying, my work tends to make the days blend together :P Yes, I tried the utility after reading your post and it didnt change anything. I do have an emumovies account and it is stated with the correct username and password in the program, I am not sure that it matters but I have a lifetime gameex account but a free emumovies account. I wouldnt think it would matter since it always downloaded fine before but now isnt downloading anything.

Thanks for all the help guys

Hello, I have just updated and am sorry to report that it still did not fix my issue. I tried updating list and everything. It just briefly says "downloading sg-100 artwork" at the beginning and does not change the mame artwork. I have not fully tried the external program as I am not quite sure how to use it. but I did open it and tested login and it said login successful.

I have attached my log as well.

Thanks for the continued help.

log.txt

I would still recommend trying the standalone utility, to see if that works. Doing so will help to determine whether it's a problem on the EmuMovies side or on the GameEx side. Who knows maybe your account is registering a false positive related to the account sharing issues they've been having over at EmuMovies (for example). The standalone utility is pretty easy to use. Just follow these steps.

• System: Select the System you want artwork for
  • Available Media: Select the type of artwork (or simply select -All Artwork- ;))
  • Match (ROM) Folder: Browse to the folder containing ROMs for the system you selected
  • Download Folder: Select the parent directory that will house artwork for this system (note that each type of artwork will be put into a separate sub-directory by the utility)
  • Click Go!
  • Revel in the glory of your new artwork (hopefully)

Thanks for being a sport! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I have an update. I tried the stand alone utility and after an hour or more could get no artwork whatsoever, except for 2 games which I dont even have, however in experimenting around (And this may be due to an update that fixed sort of the problem) I have found that NEW games added after I started posting about this problem downloads artwork just fine. However that batch of 15 or so games (most of them popular games that the artwork would be available for) will not download the artwork. I am not sure what to do from here. Thanks for all the help

Sorry to hear this is still giving you such an issue. Just out of curiosity have you updated to the 1.1. version of the downloader? Given that both the integrated GameEx download feature and the standalone artwork utility are giving you problems, it may be worthwhile to contact Circo to see if there's an issue with your EmuMovies account somehow. Even if everything seems to be OK I think it would be worthwhile contacting him regarding the issue. He is very responsive to user issues, and may be able to point you in the right direction.

Have a look in your artwork folders for some files with the extension .nop these are 0 byte files that are created so GameEx knows that no match was found and not to download again. Also check how much and when artwork was downloaded for the other systems you mention. GameEx may well still be trying to download artwork for them. So check the file dates to see if that is the case. If you can give me some insight into that I may be able to help more. Thank you for your patience.

If that's the case my downloader shouldn't be trying to find Dreamcast artwork everytime I load it right? Because it does. ;)

• 2 weeks later...