All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Normal Emulator Art/Resources vs. Advanced Settings Resources

Necromancyr

I'm wondering if all of the art listed in the advanced settings is used for theme images or if only the art listed in basic emulator settings is used? (i.e., are the custom arts used).

The reason I ask is I'm wondering if you can use the custom arts to list items you NEVER want to appear in your theme and only as info screen items (e.g, manuals, etc.).

good question.... i also found it annoying, that GameEx shows something different, if he can not find a Snap, Title etc.

i would appreciate that if a Snap is not found, to show the "image not found" png, instead of a manual, boxart or whatever.

apart from this, the problem is that boxart or manuals or whatever, have a different size than a Snap or Title, therefore it can look ugly on the theme.

maybe a feature-request ;)

You can set that for each emulator in the Advanced Emulator configuration in Setup Wizard. There is an option to point to whatever image you wish to use for those not found. You have to do this for each emulator.

yes this is true.... BUT only if NOTHING is found. it does not work for lets say you have Titles and there is no title for a particular game, then GameEx does not grab the "image not found" pict, instead GameEx is looking for ANYTHING it can find regarding the game and shows THAT.

ONLY if GameEx founds nothing it will show the "image not found" picture. these will nearly never happen, especially if you have a lot artwork.

in my opinion this is contra-productive if it comes to skinning/theme-ing, as GameEx will show stuff you never intended to show at this place, plus you can look at these artwork, boxes, manuals etc. anyway when you select a game.

at this point, you have a theme that looks strange and you have a "image not found" thing which becomes nearly obsolete.

i tested this several times and come to the conclusion, either use only snap and titles (nothing more) and MAYBE you get your theme looking right and as you intended OR use all the cool stuff artwork, boxes, manuals but dont be disappointed if your theme will look strange from time to time, if there is a manual popping out where a snap should be and so on

i would really be happy, if someone can show me, that i am wrong :)

My question wasn't actually answered I don't think...let me rephrase...

Abbreviated version: Can the graphics you set in advanced emulator setup appear in a theme? Theoretically, the answer should be yes or no...I think.

I know that GameEx flows down image selection through the folders in the 'basic settings' graphics items, but the description of the advanced setting graphics/files specifically says 'for the info page' I believe - just curious if those are part of the 'flow down' also.

UMan: Let me confirm that it's actually happening how you think it is on my setup - because I don't think it does. The 'find anything available' isn't happening on a per game basis - image selection happens at an emu level and does it for all games. (So, GameEx sets BoxArt as Image 1, ScreenShot as Image 2, and Cart as Image 3 for the entire emu screen - it won't change them if somethings now found when browsing).

You’ll have to pardon me for a moment Necro. Pretend you’re talking to a head trauma patient. :blink: What images exactly are you referring to in the Advanced Emulator Setup? Screen, Box, Title, that sort of thing? And how exactly would you like to apply them to a theme?

UMan: Let me confirm that it's actually happening how you think it is on my setup - because I don't think it does. The 'find anything available' isn't happening on a per game basis - image selection happens at an emu level and does it for all games. (So, GameEx sets BoxArt as Image 1, ScreenShot as Image 2, and Cart as Image 3 for the entire emu screen - it won't change them if somethings now found when browsing).

I was sort of thinking the same thing, but figured I wouldn’t pipe up until I confirmed on my own rig. Let us know what happens there.

My question wasn't actually answered I don't think...let me rephrase...

Abbreviated version: Can the graphics you set in advanced emulator setup appear in a theme? Theoretically, the answer should be yes or no...I think.

yes. they normally appear when you select a game. if you select a game, GameEx shows the infopage for the selected game. at this view you can choose to showup all the stuff you have for that game, i.e. boxart, manuals and so on.

if you want i.e. boxart shown instead of snaps or titles (prior selecting a game, while browsing the game list), then you would need to put your boxart into your snapfolder or titlefolder, as we have no choice for what is displaying in the image 1 or 2 fields. they are bounded to snap and titles. if there is really nothing left for the choosen game (no boxart, manuals etc.) then a "no image found" picture can be shown, BUT if you have some art, GameEx will show that art instead of a snap or title... and thats for sure.

I know that GameEx flows down image selection through the folders in the 'basic settings' graphics items, but the description of the advanced setting graphics/files specifically says 'for the info page' I believe - just curious if those are part of the 'flow down' also.

yes they are a part of the "flow down" and that is exactly my problem which i have with this behaviour. we dont have a option for what is image 1 or 2 field showing (image 1+2 are in the theme-editor). what is shown in these fields, depends on the view you choose with the "change view" button... mostly snap+titles.

this is correct but ONLY for the infopage, not for the image 1+2 fields of the theme-editor. these fields represents the state prior selecting a game or while browsing your game list.

and last but not least:

That being the case, then you need to make a feature request.

i did this allready ;)