All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Custom Game Lists for Non-MAME Emulators?

Necromancyr

Tried searching but couldn't find anything...can you have multiple custom game lists for non-mame emulators? If so, how?

To be clear - I want to have Misfit Mame have a 'all Games' list, and a 'Worth playing list' and maybe a few others.

Same with consoles, want to do a 'RPG' list, 'shooter' list, etc.

You can do this to a certain extent via the aggregation fields in the database(s) for a given system. This method will allow aggregation on the following fields:

• Publisher
  • Developer
  • Category
  • NumPlayers

Having said that, the ability to create ad hoc custom lists has been a very popular feature request in the past, so there’s always the chance that this will be implemented at some point in the future.

Naturally there are a few workarounds to accomplish this (custom map files for an emulator occupying multiple emulator slots comes to mind), but for the most part custom ad hoc lists are not native to GameEx functionality.

Why are you using MESS for that? I would heartily recommend using VICE or CCS64 (two of the most common and best according to most C64 enthusiasts).

I'm thinking it's related to this:

(God damn mirror cab.)

Not that I run a mirror cab (or any cab for that matter), but it looks like MESS is necessary to pull it off for C64?

C64 on a cab?

You can't compare MESS with CCS64 (which I highly recommend) or WinVICE, when it comes to C64 rom images. And apart from that, this is the first time I hear about using a multi-purposed emulator with gamebase. If you want my opinion, Necromancyr, I'd strongly suggest to switch to CCS64 instead.

The problem with a cab is that you have to configure your controller to reflect a keyboard layout. But even in this case MESS is not preferable to CCS64 or WinVICE, which have a fully configurable key setup. The main advantage of using CCS64 is that you can run 99% of the 20000 games of the GB64 collection. WinViCE comes closer, but you can't get any other emulator with such a great compatibility with C64 software.

The problem here is: apart from 8bit games that use only 1 button (fire) like C64 or Amiga, how can you natively configure games that were thought to be run on a home computer, and that require some keys like space bar, esc, f1, f3, f5, Q, W, or whatsoever, on a cab setup? Xpadder would be of help, as usual I guess (I've never tried it)...

• Like 1

Yeah, I found that version of Vice and am actually setting it up - I put that request in in 2010 and it got incorporated into the 2.3 SDL source but I had issues building it. Lo and behold, they now have an SDL build for Windows on their site so...good to go!

And yeah, there's the potential for keyboard related issues, but I'm going to have a streamlined games list with only action/platformer type games that I wouldn't be able to play otherwise. And I'm going to remap the other 5 buttons on my control panel to appropriate keys for most games and use the virtual keyboard when needed in other places.

Yeah...I got everything working half-way decently. Load times are still a bit of a bitch, but assigning a key to toggle warp seems to work around that somewhat. The majority of Gamebase64 seems to be tapes though, which is annoying. And I'm having some script issues I believe with GEMUS in getting joysticks setup right - but there could be a breakdown somewhere else since I need to remap my U360's to 4-ways, then xpadder them, then start vice - all from in GameBase since you can't do before/after programs for a gamebase emu from w/in GameEx.

Alpha - just wanted to followup real quick. You don't have C64 setup on a cab right? I know a few guys at BYOAC do and I'm just trying to determine optimal key config for a decent subset of games. Thinking Summer Games, Winter Games, IMpossible mission, jumpman, etc. Stuff like that.

The damn trainers are killing the 'easily loaded' setup though! Debating going to originals or some mish-mash setup because of it.

The main advantage of using CCS64 is that you can run 99% of the 20000 games of the GB64 collection. WinViCE comes closer, but you can't get any other emulator with such a great compatibility with C64 software.

The problem here is: apart from 8bit games that use only 1 button (fire) like C64 or Amiga, how can you natively configure games that were thought to be run on a home computer, and that require some keys like space bar, esc, f1, f3, f5, Q, W, or whatsoever, on a cab setup? Xpadder would be of help, as usual I guess (I've never tried it)...

i used WinVice for years and now i read about the CCS64 emu. so i wanted to know, why this emu is better than WinVice? what are the advantages? if its really better, i will probably switch to CCS64.

as my cab is coming this week, this is the first time thinking about what is playable on a cab, so this is really a good argue you are pointing at.

i think this will be a long route configuring the keys for the cab, if it is even possible :( .

The majority of Gamebase64 seems to be tapes though, which is annoying.

..... but there could be a breakdown somewhere else since I need to remap my U360's to 4-ways, then xpadder them, then start vice - all from in GameBase since you can't do before/after programs for a gamebase emu from w/in GameEx.

what Gamebase64 do you use? i have V9 and i can say that there are not so much tape-based games anymore.

maybe i am wrong, but why you try to map your sticks to 4way? does not C64 use 8way plus one button? i dont think you really need this.