All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Files To Text Program

KRC

Does anybody have any experience with using a program that turns a group of files into a .txt or equivalent.

I have 171,213 pieces of media and I want them all catalogued into a text file, how would I do this and what's the best and quickest program to use.

Thanks.

I believe I passed this piece of software onto a friend at one time, but if it were me I’d open up a command prompt, navigate to the directory I wanted to catalog, and run the following command:

dir /B > my_text_doc.txt

Where my_text_doc.txt is the name of the file you’d like to write the results to. Note that this doesn’t need to be a pre-existing text file.

• Like 1

Here is the command lines you can use from a DOS prompt Courtesy of Computer Hope:

Windows command line and MS-DOS users

• Get to the MS-DOS prompt or the Windows command line.
  • Navigate to the directory you wish to print the contents of. If you're new to the command line, familiarize yourself with the cd command and the dir command.
  • Once in the directory you wish to print the contents of, type one of the below commands.
    dir > print.txt
    The above command will take the list of all the files and all of the information about the files, including size, modified date, etc., and send that output to the print.txt file in the current directory.
    dir /b > print.txt
    This command would print only the file names and not the file information of the files in the current directory.
    dir /s /b > print.txt
    This command would print only the file names of the files in the current directory and any other files in the directories in the current directory.
  • After doing any of the above steps the print.txt file is created. Open this file in any text editor (e.g. Notepad) and print the file. You can also do this from the command prompt by typing notepad print.txt.

• Like 1

dir /s /b > print.txt

This command would print only the file names of the files in the current directory and any other files in the directories in the current directory.

This is a very good call. I neglected to consider the probable necessity of recursively listing contents of sub-directories. Way to go the extra mile Draco!

Thanks for your input guys.

null,

I tried the program you mentioned but does not install on 64bit OS.

I did find a program called W list which does exactly what I want but with a 30 day evaluation.

Draco,

Im not really too familiar with any type of command prompt as ive never had any use for it, but now I will have a deeper look into this as I may feel this may come in handy in the future (just GameEx command lines and thats it) :rolleyes:

Some things you know,Some things you dont, Its a way of life. :)

null,

I tried the program you mentioned but does not install on 64bit OS.

I did find a program called W list which does exactly what I want but with a 30 day evaluation.

Yeah I somehow remembered that program based on a vague recollection of a program that I passed along to a friend somewhere in the neighborhood of 2006. Worked for him, but yeah … 2006. Ultimately I stand by the command line method.

To release something like this as trial based software would seem to be the height of folly to me. :D

It would probably be very easy to create a .bat file (or, if you are fluent enough in Virtual Basic, a .vbs script) that you could run that would prompt you to enter the path you want to obtain a list from and output it to a .txt or .csv format.

It's not hard to do really... I'm surprised there aren't more utilities out there that do this.

Dim File_List() As String = Directory.GetFiles(App_Data.File_Folder, "*.*", SearchOption.AllDirectories)
Using sw As \StreamWriter = File.AppendText("file.txt")
For Each f As String In File_List
sw.WriteLine(f)
Next f
End Using