All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Mame issues

aikido2u

Hi all!

I am currently having some issues getting Mame to work correctly in GameEX.

First of all I cannot get my roms to show up on the main Mame option I have to go to emulated games and select Mame to see them.

Second I cannot get my video previews, or any art to display in GameEX for these. I can only see the demo stuff on the main Mame option nothing else. I have setup my paths to the correct location where everything is stored.

Third how do I filter out everything but the Parent roms? I dont want to see all of my bios files or anything else thats going to make things more complicated.

all help is ofcourse very appriciated!

Thanks,

Aikido2u

Please provide copies of your gameex.ini file and latest log.txt file so we can take a look. Likely it is a path issue but we should be able to tell from one or both files. Thanks!

First of all I cannot get my roms to show up on the main Mame option I have to go to emulated games and select Mame to see them.

Second I cannot get my video previews, or any art to display in GameEX for these. I can only see the demo stuff on the main Mame option nothing else. I have setup my paths to the correct location where everything is stored.

Third how do I filter out everything but the Parent roms? I dont want to see all of my bios files or anything else thats going to make things more complicated.

These points lead me to believe that you have MAME setup as an emulator in GameEx rather than through the dedicated MAME section. It’s not at all uncommon to make this oversight once you start setting up some emulators in GameEx. So just to verify, when you set up MAME in the Setup Wizard, did you utilize the MAME Settings screen (and subsequent MAME settings screen(s))?

GameEx has a number of features that are tailored specifically for MAME. You lose nearly all of these features if you setup MAME as a common emulator in GameEx. I believe if you work through the MAME settings in the Setup Wizard all of your above questions answered.

If you have followed these steps, but are still experiencing odd system behavior please follow up on Draco’s request for further information.

My recommendation would be to first set everything up through the dedicated MAME section, verify that everything is working, then … yeah go ahead and remove it from the emulators section. Running MAME as a separate version under emulators can occasionally serve a good purpose (if you intend to run multiple versions of MAME for instance), but it’s generally a fringe case designed to meet a very specific purpose.

I’d be a bit more interested to see what you have entered on the Advanced MAME Settings screen (or simply upload your GameEx.ini). That’s where the rubber meets the road so to speak in terms of MAME command line, what games are set to display, ROM filters, etc.

Also be aware that anytime you alter your MAME settings through the Setup Wizard, it’s likely you’ll want to rebuild your game list.

Yeah, that really is a bit of a gotcha. Sometimes I do wish there was an update list utility available through the Setup Wizard. The Update List function is found within GameEx itself. It’s been a while since I’ve changed my MAME setup, but I believe the following still applies.

If GameEx doesn’t prompt you to update your list when you navigate to a dedicated MAME game list, there’s an option to do so appearing at the very bottom of your MAME Game List.

I will.

Edited by Draco1962
This thread is now marked as Resolved and has been closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread