All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Sega Roms will not load properly: "no sms or gg files"

BootHammer

I've got all emulators working (NES, SNES) but can't get any Sega roms to load. It says "no sms or gg files. When I click ok on the error it loads a black screen with simply a FPS counter and nothing else.

I can get the Fusion emulator to load the games manually (outside of Gamex) but it won't work within the frontend. I've tried using zip from files, unzipped rom files, renaming them with sms on the end with no success. Any ideas guys? Appreciate any help or direction here =)

post-10048-0-60477600-1343955797_thumb.j

I have the Fusion emulator (tried others through gamex as well) and I'm just trying to open it through the Gamex frontend software. It sees the emulator and sees the roms but I always get that error. Total noob at this obviously ;) How and where do you run command lines?

I thought the nice thing about Gamex was it was all basically automated once setup. It runs the NES and SNES emulators with ease so I'm not sure what is going on with the Sega stuff.

Hi BootHammer and welcome to the forums!

I'm guessing this has something to do with the command line you're using, and what sub-system of Fusion you're attempting to launch. Would you mind uploading a copy of your Emulator config? Please refer here if you're unsure of how to do that.

Fun fact "sms" refers to Sega Master System, and "gg" refers to Game Gear. Are you attempting to launch one of those systems when you receive this error?

Edit: Naturally fReq beat me to it! :D

Edited by nullPointer
The Zen Master is Quick Like Lightning!

Hi BootHammer and welcome to the forums!

I'm guessing this has something to do with the command line you're using, and what sub-system of Fusion you're attempting to launch. Would you mind uploading a copy of your Emulator config? Please refer here if you're unsure of how to do that.

Fun fact "sms" refers to Sega Master System, and "gg" refers to Game Gear. Are you attempting to launch one of those systems when you receive this error?

Edit: Naturally fReq beat me to it! :D

Thanks for info! The emulator title: Kega Fusion v3.64 (NOMAPLE) (Windows) © Steve Snake 2010. Once in GameEx I select emulated games, the fusion emulator and it sees the roms I have but upon loading it throws that error and brings up the blank screen with the FPS counter.

Emulator config attached

Fusion.ini

GameEx.ini

Thanks! The emulator settings do provide some good info, but don't really provide insight into the command line being used by GameEx. Here's a bit more of what I'm shooting for:

1. Post Your Config:

If you have your emulator running, but can't get it to run from GameEx, then tell us specifically what the problem is, and post your emulator config by doing the following:

Go to: Start Menu > Program Files > GameEx > Setup Wizard

Click "Next Page" , until you see the Emulator Selection screen. If you are using the Setup Wizard in Custom navigation mode, make sure you've selected the Emulator Selection check box on the Custom Select screen, prior to navigating.

In the center of the screen you will see a button matching the one seen in the image below (it's the bottom most button). That's the Export Emulator(s) button. Highlight the emulator you'd like to export in the left hand panel, click the Export Emulator(s) button, and save the file.

post-5872-0-40930200-1314284294_thumb.pn

Go to the file that you just saved, (you do know where you saved it to, right? tongue.gif ), and double-click on it.

If Windows wants to know what program to use to open the file, Choose "Select a Program From a List of Installed Programs" Choose "Notepad" from the list. (You may want to make sure that "Use This Program Everytime" is checked.)

Copy and paste the text from Notepad into your next post, by using the keys:

Ctrl + "A" (select all)

Ctrl + "C" (copy)

Ctrl + "V" (paste)

I get the emulator as fusion but what system are you trying to run? Fusion runs a few sega systems. Depending on they system, the command-line will be different. I suggest you tell us what system you want and then we can go from there. You can also click on the link in my signature for the correct command-line for that particular system.

Thanks! The emulator settings do provide some good info, but don't really provide insight into the command line being used by GameEx. Here's a bit more of what I'm shooting for:

Can't win tonight, lol. Copying all that info into a post is throwing an error on here.

Geez, here is the info attached as a notepad document...not sure if that helps any or not. Also attached pics of the process.

GameEx ini.txt

post-10048-0-26004000-1343958987_thumb.j

post-10048-0-73231200-1343958989_thumb.j

post-10048-0-68219800-1343958992_thumb.j

post-10048-0-28822900-1343958995_thumb.j

I get the emulator as fusion but what system are you trying to run? Fusion runs a few sega systems. Depending on they system, the command-line will be different. I suggest you tell us what system you want and then we can go from there. You can also click on the link in my signature for the correct command-line for that particular system.

What do you mean exactly by system? I using a PC running XP SP3, 1024MB Ram, Nvidia 6800GT (with rolled back driver for better compatibility) and using GameEx as the frontend. Someone is presently building an Arcade cab for me and I'm trying to get this PC to run in the background as seamlessly as possible through GameEx. Will also be using the X-arcade Tankstick for controls. Let me know if there is any other info that might help. Appreciate the advice and help man!

Other emulators other than fusion include: Snes9x, Jnes, FCE Ultra and ZSNES...these all work perfectly.

Can't win tonight, lol. Copying all that info into a post is throwing an error on here.

Don't sweat it! Actually the first file you provided might have been the essential piece of the puzzle. The command line you're using is specifically for launching a Sega Master System ROM. TMNT: Hyperstone Heist was never released for the SMS, No?

I think what you're going to want to do is set up a brand new emulator slot in the Setup Wizard for Sega Genesis. It can still point at the same Fusion executable, but you need to feed Fusion the genesis command rather than the SMS one. Let me know if that makes sense and we can go from there.

Fusion is a Sega SG1000, SC3000, SF7000, Master System, Game Gear, Genesis/Megadrive, SVP, Pico, SegaCD/MegaCD and 32X emulator for Win9x/ME/2000/XP/Vista/Win7, Mac OSX(Intel), and Linux

By system I mean which console or handheld are you trying to run from it?

There may be a secondary issue too. ".bin" is not a file extension I typically associate with Genesis-MegaDrive ROMs (it's usually a disc image extension). If it's running fine outside of GameEx though, there's probably no issue.

The correct command line for Kega Fusion for the SMS is Fusion.exe -sms -fullscreen "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"

The correct command line for Genesis is Fusion.exe -gen -fullscreen "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"

You will need to make sure that is what shows for your command line in the Advanced Emulator Settings via the Setup Wizard. You will have to setup Fusion several times, once each for each system you are emulating. You will also need to make sure that you have the paths to the ROMs for each set correct as well. I would recommend keeping them in separate folders as this will make it easier to update/manage your collection.

You need to ensure that you have it working correctly outside of GameEx first.

Thanks guys! Can't believe how helpful everyone was...awesome forum =) Got it up and running now. I'm sure I"ll be back with more questions as the process gets closer to completion for the arcade cabinet. Really appreciate everyone's advice and direction!

Glad you got everything sorted out BootHammer! Remember to post some pictures of that cab once it gets closer to completion. Everyone around here loves drooling over pictures of new cabs!

Edit: If I may be so bold, I would request one favor of you. As users solve their issues, we like to take a ‘pay it forward’ approach. One way you can do this is to mark your threads as [RESOLVED] once you have resolved the reported issue to your satisfaction. In this way future users will also potentially benefit from your ingenuity, in that they are able to quickly find solutions to similar problems.

In order to mark your thread as [RESOLVED] you edit your first post, and choose “Use Full Editor”. From the full editor screen you will be able to change the title of your thread. This thread would be altered like so: [RESOLVED] Sega Roms will not load properly: "no sms or gg files". Obviously, this is not a requirement, but does serve to help out any future users with a similar problem.

Glad you got everything sorted out BootHammer! Remember to post some pictures of that cab once it gets closer to completion. Everyone around here loves drooling over pictures of new cabs!

Edit: If I may be so bold, I would request one favor of you. As users solve their issues, we like to take a ‘pay it forward’ approach. One way you can do this is to mark your threads as [RESOLVED] once you have resolved the reported issue to your satisfaction. In this way future users will also potentially benefit from your ingenuity, in that they are able to quickly find solutions to similar problems.

In order to mark your thread as [RESOLVED] you edit your first post, and choose “Use Full Editor”. From the full editor screen you will be able to change the title of your thread. This thread would be altered like so: [RESOLVED] Sega Roms will not load properly: "no sms or gg files". Obviously, this is not a requirement, but does serve to help out any future users with a similar problem.

I"ll definitely post pics up of the arcade cab and thanks again for all the help fellows ;7 Is there a specific thread/section for arcade cab builds?

The blue underlined text 'Pictures of that cab' that nullPointer used is a link to the Topic for which you are looking.

Edited by Draco1962
This thread is now marked as Resolved and has been closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread.