All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Need some assurance

KRC

Hey,

I just wanted to know if there are any types of rules with regards to using other people's artworks from various other sites like hyperspin and others.

For example if I used the Super Mario 64 logo from hyperspin for a GameEx project, would I get shafted later down the line.

I think really there is no real need for them to come to me because for example the Super Mario franchise is obviously Nintendo and the creator of the logo (basically cut from a high res image) has no real rights to the logos/art etc.

Just wanted to get a view from you guys.

If all is well I'll move forward, btw I hope this makes sense :)

Unless the person holds a specific copyright for the work - which most do not, I would say that 99% of the images we work with are derivative from a copyrighted image from an OEM or software manufacturer/publisher. If I am using someone's work outright with no changes, it definitely doesn't hurt to ask permission or even acknowledge from whom and where the image was obtained whenever possible.

I don’t think there are any hard and fast rules in this regard. Asking permission shows a good faith effort on your part (but may not be possible in some cases), and citing your sources shows respect to the original creator (which in turn helps to avoid accusations of plagiarism later on down the road).

I think Draco makes a good point. The degree to which this rule of thumb applies tends to be directly proportional to the amount of work the original creator (or ‘editor’ as it were) put into the artwork in question. (Or if you prefer, the application of this rule of thumb is inversely proportional to the degree in which you intend to modify the original piece :)) From the sounds of it, the logo you’re interested in has not been modified to a substantial degree by the creator/editor of the artwork.

My impression is that most of the HyperSpin guys are decent blokes (a few of them are decent blokes that used to be decent blokes around here … but I digress ;)). My guess is that the creator/editor would probably be fine with the reuse of the artwork. You’ve got a good head on your shoulders KRC; when in doubt let your conscious be your guide. :)

Thanks for the advice guys, I was looking for complete game logo sets (HS wheelart) for a possible future project and one of the rare sources is Hyperspin, I was browsing their earlier today and HS and a few others are the sites that seem to hold the key to what I need.

What I didn't want was to take the art from their site, publish here after my editing and then someone looks here and finds their work being used by me a GameEx user.

As I respect GameEx and the community 100% I felt I needed some assurance from some higher power at GameEx.

Thanks Again

Isn't wheel art available through their ftp servers? Or are they just up for grabs for anyone to use?

They have basic wheel art per system available on their downloads section, but most of the other systems wheel art on their ftp, which I dont have access to, but I do know someone who does have access, who is currently on holiday

If you are looking for something specifically that you cannot find through sources such as Wikipedia or the like, I would definitely suggest asking Tom or Circo as they have assisted me on a few requests in the past.

If you are looking for something specifically that you cannot find through sources such as Wikipedia or the like, I would definitely suggest asking Tom or Circo as they have assisted me on a few requests in the past.

I sure will, thanks for the assistance, btw does Circo have an affiliation with emumovies or hyperspin?

The reason I ask is im sure that ive seen him mentioned.