All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Some testing please folks

Tom Speirs

Could I have you please test the next version for me please prior to release.

Its mostly a change/fix release with a new engine for rendering videos (not previews).

It should have more reliable theme and direct3d support but I want to make sure it runs on other peoples systems.

I appreciate. Cheers.

http://www.gameex.co...gameexsetup.exe

PS: Please test DVDs, Videos (not previews), window switching, resizing, returning from launched emulators and apps and Themes.

Current live release can be reinstalled without issue. Please don't ask for support with it. Just report any issues.

I'll do it right now.

So you want me to watch a video from HDD then?

Okay I'll try the new one. The other one just sat there for >10 mins on the "Please Wait" window.

Trying the new file now.

Same problem. I load the video, screen goes black, please wait box comes up, and it sits there forever and ever (this video is on my local machine so i haven't even attempted streaming over my network yet). I have to force close GameEx to stop it. If it really is supposed to take over 10 mins to play a 50 second video then it's working (assuming it plays at all that is, i just didn't wait longer than that). lol!

I can play movies fine before this update.

I have video if you need it.

.:EDIT:. I got one to play somehow, but the same one won't play again after returning to the list. The videos are showing thumbs in the list though. Could be my machine I suppose, but as mentioned they worked before. All my mp4s play in Boxee, WMP, and used to play in GameEx. I can stream my movies to anything in the house fine also. I think that's about it. :)

When I started using GameEx, I had serious issues playing videos, browising youtube, etc... I opened a specific thread about it, but with no avail.

My issues was similar to Adultery's: I mean, I opened the first video from a list, then watched it, then returned to the list... when starting a second video (no matter if it were another video or the same as previous), GameEx crashed. Never had a problem with previews, though. We concluded that it was a codec problem.

Then another user posted a similar problem, an in the next release.. tada! Everything was working good with videos for me too... and it has been so since then. In fact, with the latest release I can see videos without crashes. Now Adultery has having an issue like mine.... or so it seems.

All I want to say is that.... I'm convinced that it isn't a codec issue... obviously this issue that repeats with minor variants in different systems is a GameEx one.

That said, I'm going to test this beta version and I'll report the results.

Returning from Emus, apps and Themes: OK

Videos: not good at all.

These are the results:

Test01.jpg

Test03.jpg

Test04.jpg

These videos are avi, mp4 and flv.

My specs:

Windows XP sp3

DirectX 9.0c

K-Lite Codec Pack (not updated to the latest release but I can see videos fluently outside of GameEx and with the 12.61 version of GameEx).

Cannot check DVD now, I will try it tomorrow.

By the way, my current desktop and GameEx resolution is 1280x800, I set up GameEx to change resolution and to not change resolution... with the same results as above.

Hope this helps.

Got my home vids to play (mpeg) but mp4 feature length movies via HandBrake still crash GameEx. Sometimes I have to kill it and other times it gives the not responding error and crashes itself. I also noticed GameEx isn't returning my desktop wallpaper.

Got my home vids to play (mpeg) but mp4 feature length movies via HandBrake still crash GameEx. Sometimes I have to kill it and other times it gives the not responding error and crashes itself. I also noticed GameEx isn't returning my desktop wallpaper.

Thanks. Please try latest version.

What codecs have you got installed?

Shark007 of course. ;)

I tried the latest and having the same problem. Let me try and describe better what's happening (maybe you will find it helpful):

I load GameEx, and instead of the usual black for however many seconds followed by the "Start Page" that loads, the "Please Wait" box comes up over a black screen (this is normally where the "GameEx Is Loading" screen would come up, but hasn't for some time... Unless I have GameEx windowed, in which case the "GameEx Is Loading" screen comes up. That's gotta be a bug by the way... It was introduced several versions ago). Anyhow...

I launch a video. The screen does a "zoom in" of sorts (it kind of looks like a black square that fills the screen for about a second), and then it immediately falls back to the theme's screen it was on prior, but with the GameEx "Please Wait" box. The box never goes away, unless it crashes hard (GameEx is not responding) or I have to go into the task manager and kill it. If I go into the Task Manager it seems normal (60 FPS), it just doesn't seem to load the movie, and I've left that sucker go for 9 mins or so. I can see all the other computers on my home network, but haven't attempted to stream anything from them yet (would be probably better to get the local ones going first right?).

In my vacation videos (MPEGs), the sound starts for a second and stops, the usual dialog comes up (like ratio on the top, the dialog box on the bottom), and the video starts. These videos are only 5-8 mins long though, so the amount of time it takes to load may or may not have to do with the length of the video? Like it buffers way too much? Not sure.

/Side note:

It switches between window sizes easily and perfectly every time.

@Tom: Sorry to say that my video issue isn't resolved... same as above...

@Tom & Adultery: Changing theme is not an issue. Anyway, using Adultery's MegaMame gives me an issue very similar if not the same as Adultery's: after selecting "Videos", I have a black screen with the "Wait please..." logo and I'm stucked there. I had to force GameEx to close. This doens't happen in other menus, and, most important, doesn't happen with other themes I tried (like Draco's "Enter the Dragon").

Crap, he's right... It's something with MegaMAME. Tell me what I need to do to fix it and I'll do it.

I'll have to try this when I get home.

To answer you: yes, it appears to be theme related. I was able to use the default theme and my movies start right up.

I didn't try any other themes but can if'n ya like. :)

I'll have to try this when I get home.

To answer you: yes, it appears to be theme related. I was able to use the default theme and my movies start right up.

I didn't try any other themes but can if'n ya like. :)

Thats a releif and any other testing would be helpful.

Alpha, have you still got the video size corruption issue?

Anyone else want to give it a try for me? Ive updated the install in the first post with the latest.

Thanks.

Tom.

PS: The main reason for the video engine changes are to better support HD content. Subittles also work again.

Yes Tom: as reported above, I still have that video size corruption issue.

------------------

C'mon people! Test this beta version and report back! Just backup GameEx.ini, custominput.ini and test... you can revert to your setup anytime...

Yes Tom: as reported above, I still have that video size corruption issue.

------------------

C'mon people! Test this beta version and report back! Just backup GameEx.ini, custominput.ini and test... you can revert to your setup anytime...

News:

I tested the latest beta build. Here are the results:

Emulators, apps and themes: OK

Videos: They are OK now. Thanks!

DVD: OK!

Two sidenotes though:

1) There is always that little issue with brackets with videos, i.e. "Widescreen ()". This happens with certain videos and not with others. A mystery for me. I told you about this in another thread, but it's only a trifle.

2) After playing a DVD and returning to GameEx menu, the sound while browising through menus stops working. But if I launch a game, a video, etc... the sound is restored.

Alpha.

I just uploaded another version. I am pretty much done with the new video engine but I added some significant new feautres and fixed lots of bugs. So it still needs a bit more testing right now to be safe then hopefully i can release before the weekend is out.

- New live download and install of themes from within the front end.

- Any fonts used by themes are automatically loaded and used without having to register them.

- MP4 videos now work out of the box on Windows 7 without needing additional codecs.

- Lots of bug fixes, including window focus issues. Better handling of the older V2 themes. Issue when selecting last item in list with the new start page menus. Not loading default emubak.png. Not returning to gameex if immediatly launching then closing emulator.

http://www.gameex.com/download_beta/gameexsetup.exe