All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Just got fibre to cabinet broadband

Tom Speirs

Woot! I am hoping to get a new router to take advantage of gigabit for our office computers and server and wireless N for those devices that support it. Otherwise still using the ethernet over electric for the Tivo box and smart BD player and TV.

In other news, how's you home theatre setup coming along? . . . Also WTH is a car boot sale!? (kidding - my traveling companions had a good chuckle at my expense when I had no clue about car boot sales during a trip to Scotland -- something to do with shoes I suppose, or maybe tires? :wacko: )

In other news, how's you home theatre setup coming along? . . . Also WTH is a car boot sale!? (kidding - my traveling companions had a good chuckle at my expense when I had no clue about car boot sales during a trip to Scotland -- something to do with shoes I suppose, or maybe tires? :wacko: )

Its like a yard sale in a field with lots of people selling. It translates to trunk (boot) sale as people sell stuff out the trunks of their cars but I am guessing your mates explained it to you ;)

I found a neat article about Cable vs. Fibre to Cabinet broadband if anyone is interested in a high-level explanation . For the price you are getting a good deal compared to the prices we pay in the States.

We have Xfinity (Comcast) here in Jacksonville, FL and it is pretty expensive for even the basic prices. There is not much in the way of competition unless you wish to go with AT&T FastAccess DSLwhich cannot compare with price or speed of cable.. I am hoping to purchase a new router to take advantage of our internal gigabit connections (and woreless N for those devices supporting) which will better utilize the Motorola Surfboard modem's capabilities as the fast switching ethernet connections are a choke point for data and streaming still stutters a bit even when not fullscreen.