All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

DSLR For Newbies

hansolo77

I'm going to be buying a DSLR camera with my income tax refund. I've always had simple point and shoots, and recently got into doing more photography with a higher end point and shoot. I enjoy walking nature trails and stuff and capturing birds, insects, flowers, etc while doing that. However, I'm feeling more and more restricted by what I can do because of the camera. The Autofocus isn't fast enough to capture birds, and when I try to focus on insects and things the focus usually is on the wrong thing. So with a DSLR I'll be able to control the focus much more quickly and precisely. Another lacking feature is the zoom. While my latest camera (Canon Powershot S5IS) can do a very nice zoom, it's still not good enough to really get in there and get some good pictures of water fowl and the like. With interchangable lenses, I could switch to a much more powerful zoom, or a macro-lense for the insects. Basically, I'm wanting to do MORE with photography than just the simple family/pet photos and the occasional lucky shot of a bird. I want to get more into the artistic side and capture things like star trails, sunsets, etc. So I've decided upgrading to a DSLR would be my first ticket.

I'm going to get the Canon EOS Rebel T3i. Amazon has one for $899 that comes with the kit lense as well as an additional zoom lens. I could get a different one with only lens, but it's only $50 bucks more, so I'm saving up a few extra dollars from my paychecks. I could easily cut the bill in half if I went with the T2i instead of the T3i, but the extra features in the T3i are more advantageous to me I think. The S5IS I already have has the tilt/swivel LCD screen, and I really like it. The T3i has that, but the T2i doesn't. But I wouldn't buy it for just that reason alone. Theres a couple of other nice improvements over the T2i that I can easily see are more valuble in comparison.

So what I'm looking for, are suggestions from you guys as to what you'd recommend I do to prepare myself. Does anybody know of any good, non text-book books I should check out from the library to familiarize myself with the new technology? Any websites you might recommend for tips/tricks? I know theres lots of stuff out there, but I don't want such a broad scope from professional masters. I'm just looking for basic beginner type stuff. Anybody else here use DSLR and wanna talk about it?

I think if you "google about" a bit you will probably find lots in the way of forums and photography resources. The fundamentals of photography are still the same as when the first Kodak took a picture, just the storage medium is different.

Canon Digital Learning Center (I have referenced this a few times)

DSLR Photography for Beginners

Cambridge in Color Digital Photography Tutorials

Canon Digital Photography Forums