All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Toasted video card need opinions

celly

Fired up my cab a few days ago, started to play and my video card went out. Did the ol dissasemble unconnect, reconnect and yeah it's toast. Good news is, I've got an appointment to do my taxes on Monday. That means, Monday afternoon I go shopping for new video card. Anyone have any suggestions for whats new out? Nvidia wise. Might go big too, never know.

I would recommend the Galaxy GeForce GT 440 1 GB DDR3. It supports two monitors at a time (yet has 1 each of HDMI/DVI/VGA). Nice thing about the HDMI is it supports sound over HDMI and does so very well I might add. It is probably one of the best cards I have used.

Once I get my htpc setup complete (will be a WIP for a while as me and the missus continue to get our finances back on track), I will have a dual monitor setup with the HD TV and second monitor setup. Will likely use the second monitor to display CP info for whatever game is being played. One could also use the second monitor to clone the primary display when the primary is smaller so that spectators in a party setting can see the action without the player(s) blocking the view.

One could also use the second monitor to clone the primary display when the primary is smaller so that spectators in a party setting can see the action without the player(s) blocking the view.

...or to run iMagic. ;)

I use a HIS and like it a lot: http://www.hisdigital.com/us/

It's an ATI though.

Purchased! Fortunate for me, there is a Fry's Electronics right down the street and I picked this up for a damn good deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130652

Yeah, I did go with Nvidia again. Maybe next time I'll jump ship and ATI. I couldn't pass up the price for a 2gb card. Had to get a new power supply for it too but, I had a feeling it was also time for that. All installed and running and I'm back gaming again. Yays.

Yes, its very nice. Test drove it on MAME, Dolphin (Wii and GC), some higher end PC games (DMC4, SSF4) and so far nodda one complaint. Whisper quiet too, very minimal heat also. I'm quite happy with it thus far. Plus there was a $10 rebate so the cost really wasn't that bad in the long run. I'd recomend it for a cheap higher end card with a cheap price tag.