All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] More theme editor crashes!

Krakerman

This theme editor crash!

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at c.ae()

at o.i(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5448 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

ThemeEditor

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/GameEx/ThemeEditor.exe

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5447 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5446 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

You get this error if you have more than 19 emulators in the theme editor emu background saved. So you have to manually delete the files "Theme_Background_[name of the emulator]" for the theme editor to work again!

Can we get this fixed?

Well any ideas on a possible fix or solution to this issue?

UPDATE!: Well I can get the theme to load now as I have to go in a manually delete the theme backgrounds that the theme editor creates too make room for more background editing. So it basically doesn't allow you to work on more than a dozen themes then you will have to delete the images or else the editor craps out.

You can reproduce it with any theme all you need to do is enable the Custom Emulator Layouts and Custom Module Layouts and have over 20 background images and load the image into the object browser under the +Emu Background. When you have those 2 options enabled it creates all the emulator ini files for each emulator and then each time you load up the theme editor and try to load the background images with the +Emu Foreground images it seems to be to much for the Theme Editor to handle. You don't need my theme to reproduce it as anyone you have will do the same thing.

You can use Draco's Sins of a Solar Empire theme and it will happen. Sorry Draco ;)

I just did myself as reproduced it as well

The other thing is it will create a duplicate image in the theme folder but rename them with 'Theme_Background' and 'Theme_Foreground' before the emulator name. Why? As you already have the image in that folder that you created already, but the Theme Editor creates it's own when you save the theme.

Yes!

Create a new them from BlueBox Mod v2 and change it to 1920x1080 and enable custom emulator/module layouts in the options then for each emulator in the theme editor load in a foreground image and background image then try saving it after 12 or so and see if you get the problem. It might happen before that many but you should be able to reproduce it.

Hahaha I'm just shocked that noone else has had any issues yet with the Theme Editor with all the theme making going on lately. I guess it's because I have so many emulators and using custom layouts I suppose. :P

Yes!

Create a new them from BlueBox Mod v2 and change it to 1920x1080 and enable custom emulator/module layouts in the options then for each emulator in the theme editor load in a foreground image and background image then try saving it after 12 or so and see if you get the problem. It might happen before that many but you should be able to reproduce it.

Excuse me, this is that kind of topic in which I usually shouldn't have posted.... because my graphic skills are non-existent, otherwise I would have contributed somewise....

This is what I did:

1 - Loaded BlueBox v2 in the Theme Editor (never done before, it takes awhile to complete loading)

2 - Tried to change resolution to 1920x1080, task never completed, I had an error (probably a .NET Framework error) and Theme Editor crashed.

This confirms, in a way, what I was supposing the issue is to be: lack of resources.

This is only an assumpiton, of course, an hypothesis. My laptop comes from 2006, so you can guess what...

My suggestion is to lower down the resolution, just to see if you can handle the same number of background and foreground whitout crashes (12 or so, you say)....

Post Scriptum: Nevermind if what I wrote makes no sense... Basically I have zero knowlege of Theme Editor and I base my assumptions only by common PC usage...

Edited by AlphaUMi

Well thanks for trying it out.

On that note the Theme Editor is suppose to be able to create 1920x1080 themes and I shouldn't have to downgrade to try to get my theme to work. My system is a modern one at that on par with Alienware type systems with a crap load of ram 16gb to say the least and a ATI 5870 video card so I would think my system should kick the crap out of anything I throw at especially this Theme Editor. So hopefully Ben can get the kinks worked out and get a fix out soon! or my theme will be dead in the water.