All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[POLL] For what purpose do you use GameEx?

Draco1962

For what purpose do you use GameEx?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. For what purpose do you use GameEx?

• Home Theater PC only
    • Emulator/Gaming front end only
    • HTPC and Emulator/Gaming front end
    • None of the above -I am just happy to be here!

It's a bit of a tough question. I primarily use GameEx as an emulator/gaming frontend. I'm in the process of setting up HTPC functionality in GameEx, but it's not my primary HTPC software (I use Media Browser / WMC7). The thing is that GameEx is capable of doubling as HTPC software, so why not enable it? I probably won't be replacing Media Browser but I figure if GameEx is capable of handling HTPC duties, I may as well set it up to do so.

fReq: I couldn't help but think of the '

' bit.

It's a bit of a tough question. I primarily use GameEx as an emulator/gaming frontend. I'm in the process of setting up HTPC functionality in GameEx, but it's not my primary HTPC software (I use Media Browser / WMC7). The thing is that GameEx is capable of doubling as HTPC software, so why not enable it? I probably won't be replacing Media Browser but I figure if GameEx is capable of handling HTPC duties, I may as well set it up to do so.

fReq: I couldn't help but think of the '

' bit.

This is my reason for chosing "Emulator/Gaming front end only" as well. I use WMC7, as well as Media Browser for all my HTPC stuff, and (up until recently) use GameEx only for gaming.

Low specs?

Not really. At the time I had an AMD 560 BE with all 4 cores unlocked running at 3.8 GHz, a SSD hard drive. 4 GB of RAM which may have been the problem. I just bumped up to 12 GB of RAM and dropped the processor back to stock specs (dual core, 3.2GHz), so maybe I'll give it another whirl. I am running 2 Xbox extenders off of it and Serviio for a streaming box in another bedroom so the overkill on RAM was to help lower some of the buffer times.

Media Browser has been running great the last few days. I checked the RAM usage this morning and it was floating around 4GB, so the amount I had previously was most likely the problem.

Back on topic, since GameEx will have DLNA streaming soon I'm going to use it as a HTPC/Emulator FE with my upcoming build project.

The wife has agreed to a plan for my arcade/HTPC desires (money available, of course). Looking at the Xtension Arcade Pedestal at RecMasters for use with my X-Arcade Tankstick and a wall-mounted 1080P LCD in the 37" to 42" range. With a smaller form factor PC, the pedestal should be able to hold my original Xbox and 360, along with an Altec Lasing 2 speaker & subwoofer combo, misc. controllers, etc. I will likely need to mod the pedestal by installing some casters so it will be easily mobile when playing the arcade games (up close to a 37-42" screen just won't cut it).

The wife has agreed to a plan for my arcade/HTPC desires (money available, of course). Looking at the Xtension Arcade Pedestal at RecMasters for use with my X-Arcade Tankstick and a wall-mounted 1080P LCD in the 37" to 42" range. With a smaller form factor PC, the pedestal should be able to hold my original Xbox and 360, along with an Altec Lasing 2 speaker & subwoofer combo, misc. controllers, etc. I will likely need to mod the pedestal by installing some casters so it will be easily mobile when playing the arcade games (up close to a 37-42" screen just won't cut it).

Thats a slick looking Pedestal. I might just have to break down and get me one of those, rather than waste the time and (lack of) skill making my own.

That's going to be really nice, Draco. I'm just going to make a mini-itx box that's easily portable so I can take it to friends houses and we can game there. I was going to stuff it in a NES or SNES shell, but I found a nice case for $40 that will be sufficient.

Yes, as Tom was polling the platform upon which GameEx was running upon. This poll was to see for what purpose (regardless of platform). Apples and Oranges, my friend.. but together make a great fruit salad!

Yes, as Tom was polling the platform upon which GameEx was running upon. This poll was to see for what purpose (regardless of platform). Apples and Oranges, my friend.. but together make a great fruit salad!

No arguement there. LOL. :P