All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Theme Editor issue

Krakerman

Ok when I scroll thru the templates I can see the background images so I can line up all my objects however when it gets to the individual emulators the background images won't display so it makes it impossible to line up all my objects. Am I missing something here as I can't seem how to get it to display the backgrounds of the emulators in the theme editor?

When you goto object browser and say for example select the emu background and choose your emulator select open then choose the appropriate emu background then goto emu foreground in the object browser and do the same for the foreground image then when you select the template for that emulator your image will be displayed in the theme editor now!:D

Well the next problem thou is the theme editor doesn't list all the emulators you have setup in the theme which is another major problem so you can't configure the templates for the rest of your theme which makes the theme editor not very complete or usable ... so if we want to create themes how can we if the theme editor doesn't let use edit our individual emulators correctly. This needs to be fixed .... in the meantime I will search for some work around if one exist. That just takes the point out of creating custom templates.

So for my current theme that I am working on I can only make custom layouts from A-O and it doesn't even list all the emulators in the A-O range like I have Mattell Aquarius and that isn't listed. What gives!!

Hopefully Ben can fix this issue as I also sent them a mesage from Headsoft's website so they can look at it and see about fixing it.

Ok good news so far I have found a work around! I tested it with Vectrex since it's not on the list but what I did was created a duplicate of the Vectrex layout but put it in the Adventurevision slot for example and setup the layout the way I want then saved it. Then copied and renamed the Adventurevision.ini file to Vectrex.ini and it worked. So I guess I'll have to do this for alot of the missing emulators until this gets fixed if at all. So I hope that helps anyone else wanting to do custom layouts.

Sorry I didn't chime in earlier. Yes the Theme Editor does support editing foreground and background images. It should also display all your emulators so not sure what is going wrong there. You do have to make sure "Custom Emulator Layouts" is enabled in the theme options for it to work though (Edit->Options->Settings tab). It was working at one stage but then Tom asked me to disable it and then I believe he re-enabled it. Perhaps something went awry in the process? If you can demonstrate to me the problem or post your theme so I can replicate it then I'm sure I can fix it.

Well it doesn't list all the emulators and I have "Custom Emulator Layouts" enabled that is what the problem is. In the meantime I was able to just use the first emulator in the list which happened to be Adventurevision and use that one to configure the missing emulators and then copy and rename the ".ini" files in my theme folder so that it would display my layouts correctly for each theme that wasn't listed. That way I would be able to see where I needed to set all the object boxes for those emulators not listed. A pain in the butt, but it works. Maybe you need to see for yourself load up a theme and notice the list of emulators and see what's missing. I have a crap load of emulators setup in GameEx over 100 so maybe that might be the issue that the Theme Editor is having problems displaying alot of emulators.

Thanks for getting back to me and let me know what you find out.

I think that is what the problem is with the Theme Editor is that it will only display only 50 or so emulators. This needs to be updated to what GameEx is capable of doing which is alot maybe set it for 255.

I must admit I really like the sort emulator feature of the Setup Wizard as I have alot of emulators and I recently sorted them so they are in Alphabetical order and it automatically adjusted my Emulator Groups and did it correctly!!! Very Very nice feature.

I think that is what the problem is with the Theme Editor is that it will only display only 50 or so emulators. This needs to be updated to what GameEx is capable of doing which is alot maybe set it for 255.

Okay I updated the source code to support 255 emulators. Tom just has to compile it and include the binary in the next release.

I must admit I really like the sort emulator feature of the Setup Wizard as I have alot of emulators and I recently sorted them so they are in Alphabetical order and it automatically adjusted my Emulator Groups and did it correctly!!! Very Very nice feature.

Glad to hear that's working! B)

Ben also I noticed that not all images stretch to fill the image object so when it's displayed on the screen when you run GameEx it might be smaller than the actual box. Is there a way to have it stretch the image to fit the size the box you make it within the theme editor?

Ben also I noticed that not all images stretch to fill the image object so when it's displayed on the screen when you run GameEx it might be smaller than the actual box. Is there a way to have it stretch the image to fit the size the box you make it within the theme editor?

That's actually a GameEx issue. I've had problems with my own theme in that I lined up all the objects with the background and when I changed my cab's monitor it was a different aspect ratio and all the elements didn't line up properly. I'm not sure why Tom doesn't have the elements fit the exact rectangles or adapt them properly based on the window size but I have brought it to his attention a few times. Incidently the Theme Editor will adjust all the elements properly when you create a new theme with a different resolution. It would be nice if Tom could update GX to do the same as the window is resized so that all themes will look the same no matter what the resolution or window size.

AFAIK it doesn't get a seperate release. It'll probably drop once Tom irons out the bugs in the new "dashboard".

Why not the Colts.. oh wait, they got beat recently by the Jaguars.. :o

Who are the Colts? oh wait that team Indianapolis snuck down in the middle of the night and stole LOL. But seriously I have been a Raiders fan since the 70's and stayed.

post-2450-0-30446700-1322092674_thumb.jp