All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

New GameEx start menus WIP

Tom Speirs

I am working on new menus for the start page in GameEx and this is some WIP. When I am complete it will be possible to show big images and videos for the items on the horizontal menu. This will be compatible with version 3 and 4 themes. Including existing themes although some v4 themes may need some small changes or not be compatible.

Its implemented as an optional view so its not compulsory (selected by pressing change view). If its confusing you dont have to use it. It should work with Custom menus. The layout issue for v4 themes is mainly when the menu will be shown as big images. Right now there is no support in the theme editor for this type of start page so GameEx will take a guess on how best to display it.

I think it looks good so im all for it and look forward to it being available. Thanks Tom.

Damn I take one day off to write a sociology paper and something cool happens! :)

I had to watch this twice to understand what was happening! Lol! So as you move across the menu bar GameEx displays some list elements? That's cool! You might consider adding a logo in too for those of us that prefer a more uniform approach. Maybe add a media/logos/menubar folder?

Just a thought. :)

I think I am sporting a virtual woody over this change! I like the flow of this a lot! Ideas are forming on how I would like to skin for that view. So when will it be ready for release? Huh? Are we there yet?:)

I think I am sporting a virtual woody over this change! I like the flow of this a lot! Ideas are forming on how I would like to skin for that view. So when will it be ready for release? Huh? Are we there yet?:)

I am going to post a Beta for the mods shortly. You will get to check it out first.

Yessssss! You really want me to have to build a frickin htpc huh? :D

This'll be fun to play with for sure! I can't wait to see what Drac's got brewing over there?

/me peeks

Over Thanksgiving too! I just happen to be off all week! *evil laugh*

I'm guessing it will too (especially if I can just push the trackball to scroll the slider). I would have to play with the cosmetics to make it feel more at home (not like I wouldn't anyways! :lol: )... It still kinda feels super HTPC orientated on first look. Not that it's a bad thing mind you!

Can't wait to tear this thing up and see what she can do!

I know i shouldn't be in here but DAMN! That shxt looks freakin sweet! Ohhhhhhh man - yeh - *bows* gone. :o

Actually you should! Your thoughts are always appreciated Dazzle! :)

Looking sweet Tom. Have you considered doing a "coverflow" style like the attached image? It's actually not that difficult to do using a few basic matrix transforms but you have to put DirectX into a "perspective" mode. There is a demo of this on the SVN called "AnimationExample2" under the demo folder. It also shows how to do a reflection, lighting and texture overlay as a mask to round the edges. I've been trying to get you to look at that demo for ages lol. If you can implement it doing a coverflow menu would be relativly easy.

post-367-0-54603200-1321888128_thumb.png

I was going to mention coverflow too, but I thought about it and decided to wait a until this is more refined and stable before starting up more requests. That 2nd video is awesome, and exactly what GameEx needs to keep up to date. Looking good Tom!

Will this be something that can be used in some menus and the classic vertical scroll in others? I like this for short lists (like emulator selection), but I'm not fully convinced that this will be better for selecting the game itself. Looks good!