All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx config vs Setup Wizard

T. Goodchild

Personally, I find the old config much faster and intuitive than the newer wizard. Was there any reason why it was phased out and will the old one ever be updated/included in a newer build? Initially for a first timer it can be useful in setting up, but if you just want to check a path or turn something on/off real quick, it's convoluted.

Personally, I find the old config much faster and intuitive than the newer wizard. Was there any reason why it was phased out and will the old one ever be updated/included in a newer build? Initially for a first timer it can be useful in setting up, but if you just want to check a path or turn something on/off real quick, it's convoluted.

Please explain how it's slower and less intuitive than the Advanced Config?

@ T goodchild

I thought the same when the new setup wizard was released.after about 3 minutes using the new wizard,my opinion did a 180.

the old config utility is buggy & tough to navigate.give the new wizard a chance.im sure you will end up changing your opinion of it ;)

Please explain how it's slower and less intuitive than the Advanced Config?

Regular old blue and green config not advanced.

More clicks basically and more menus. On the old one if I wanted to change something I can see all my emulators at once, (one click away) by pressing one button then diving right in. The new one makes me go through a top down structure each one one at a time.

I've updated the Setup Wizard so it will return to the place where you exited. It should be in the next release.

PS I may end up adding a side panel with a list of sections at some point. That would mean no function will be more than a few mouse clicks away.

I'm personally failing to see the problem with the top-down structure. Since it saves each entry before you exit I think it's actually better off being this way. One menu and I can update all my emus quickly and easily (as was recently tested when I separated my video and snap directories). I'm not saying you're wrong here, but I was afraid to adapt and now that I've gotten my feet wet, I'm not sure why I bothered using the old advanced config menu for so long.

/my 2c

I've updated the Setup Wizard so it will return to the place where you exited. It should be in the next release.

PS I may end up adding a side panel with a list of sections at some point. That would mean no function will be more than a few mouse clicks away.

I do not see where that would be any more useful than what is already available (side panel with list of sections). As wizards go, this one is fairly straight-forward and the search feature removes 99% of the doubt when looking for something when not sure of what section it might be. IMHO the end-user has a certain amount of responsibility in familiarizing themselves with the program and its requirements and, like government, the more you "dumb it down" for the masses (and, there is no insult intended here to anyone), the bulkier and less efficient it becomes.